Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

102 69.86%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

18 12.33%
  • Todd Frazier

3 2.05%
  • Chris Heisey

4 2.74%
  • Mike Leake

9 6.16%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

8 5.48%
  • Travis Wood

2 1.37%
  • Other - name him

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Yorman

He had me at human tool shed.

My problem with Alonso is that being tethered to 1B, he would have to put up Pujols-like numbers to displace Votto. I am not convinced he can.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Yorman

He had me at human tool shed.

My problem with Alonso is that being tethered to 1B, he would have to put up Pujols-like numbers to displace Votto. I am not convinced he can.
    Prospects shouldn't be rated upon who they have to replace, simply who can be the best major league player.

Resident PED Expert

Francisco.

He's younger. Produced at a high level at every level. MLB ready by mid season this year. Hits both rightys and leftys. Has enormous power. Plays a postion of need. Stays healthy.

Alonso plays one postion and it doesnt help us. So what if he is ready by July... Great. Where does he play? Yet to hit LHP consistantly. Still hasnt played in AAA. Does seem to have much power yet.

Alonso looks like he can be an impact offensive player in nearly every facet of the game (other than SB). My vote goes to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Francisco for me until Alonso can prove he can hit with power consistently at AA/AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Francisco.

He's younger. Produced at a high level at every level. MLB ready by mid season this year. Hits both rightys and leftys. Has enormous power. Plays a postion of need. Stays healthy.

Alonso plays one postion and it doesnt help us. So what if he is ready by July... Great. Where does he play? Yet to hit LHP consistantly. Still hasnt played in AAA. Does seem to have much power yet.
    If you're going Francisco then why not Frazier, who had better numbers in Carolina and plays better defense at multiple positions?

It can't be age, since we're talking about all of 8 months difference. Were Francisco's AAA and MLB stints so impressive? They were clearly luck, given he had unsustainable BABiP's of .412 and .615 at those levels. And as far as hitting both righties and lefties, I see a .718 career OPS vs. LHP.

I don't really understand the Francisco love. He's a valuable player if he can stick at 3B, but if he can't improve defensively and is forced to the OF, I don't see a guy who could be a regular MLB player. Not if he doesn't walk more.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-14-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If you're going Francisco then why not Frazier, who had better numbers in Carolina and plays better defense at multiple positions?

It can't be age, since we're talking about all of 8 months difference. Were Francisco's AAA and MLB stints so impressive? They were clearly luck, given he had unsustainable BABiP's of .412 and .615 at those levels. And as far as hitting both righties and lefties, I see a .718 career OPS vs. LHP.

I don't really understand the Francisco love. He's a valuable player if he can stick at 3B, but if he can't improve defensively and is forced to the OF, I don't see a guy who could be a regular MLB player. Not if he doesn't walk more.
    I guess that settles that.

I went Alonso. He's pretty much the only "sure thing" in the system right now. Frazier and Heisey are the only other guys who could merit such a label, but both could be considered tweeners, with not enough glove to play up the middle and not enough bat to play at the corners. Time will tell. I think the reasonable upside for both guys is something like Winn for Heisey and DeRosa for Frazier.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I went Alonso. He's pretty much the only "sure thing" in the system right now. Frazier and Heisey are the only other guys who could merit such a label, but both could be considered tweeners, with not enough glove to play up the middle and not enough bat to play at the corners. Time will tell. I think the reasonable upside for both guys is something like Winn for Heisey and DeRosa for Frazier.
    Why is he a sure thing after 90 games? a .646 vs LH pitching. I'm sure he'll do better, and maybe he is a sure thing, but he isn't the .950 OPS beast people say he will be at the major league level unless he does a bit better than .646 against a third of the pitchers he will face.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

He seems to get better at every level, and even showed signs of that in Cincinnati in September.
    Just for giggles (beware small sample sizes), here are Francisco's OPS numbers at every level since he began his pro career in the States

2006 GCL .712
    2006 PIO .750
    2007 Day .763
    2008 FSL .799
    2009 SOU .818
    2009 INT .982
    2009 NL 1.139

So, he has improved his game every year, and at each level along the way. :-)
    Last edited by RedLegsToday; 10-14-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Just for giggles (beware small sample sizes), here are Francisco's OPS numbers at every level since he began his pro career in the States

2006 GCL .712
    2006 PIO .750
    2007 Day .763
    2008 FSL .799
    2009 SOU .818
    2009 INT .982
    2009 NL 1.139

So, he has improved his game every year, and at each level along the way. :-)
    Yes, small sample size, for sure. Yet, the trend is unmistakable, and it flies in the face of the oft-heard predictions that he would fail at the next level, at the hands of more advanced pitchers, due to his ugly K/BB ratios.

Anyone have an explanation?

Mine is simply that the guy is a legitimately talented hitter who rises to the level of his competition. Is he a finished product? Not at all. He has some learning to do in the area of plate discipline, but that process has been in evidence already and there's no reason to think it will not continue. I see him going AAA/majors in 2010, and then majors from there on out. Here's a guy who has endeavored to hit his way out of the minors -- not walk his way out -- and I, for one, am glad the Reds have not had him repeat a level, as I'm certain many on here would have had him do.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Another thing with Francisco is that although is BB numbers have pretty much stayed the same from low A in 2007 to AA, AAA, and the MLB in 2009, his K numbers are decreasing.

So, as he moves up the ladder, he appears to be making better contact, even if his plate discipline is still lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why is he a sure thing after 90 games? a .646 vs LH pitching. I'm sure he'll do better, and maybe he is a sure thing, but he isn't the .950 OPS beast people say he will be at the major league level unless he does a bit better than .646 against a third of the pitchers he will face.
    His peripherals against lefties are fine. HE was 2 more strikeouts than walks against left handed pitching. He clearly has no problem seeing the ball against them with those rates. He has all of 71 total at bats against left handers. He will be fine. Everything about him projects out to be above average offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Another thing with Francisco is that although is BB numbers have pretty much stayed the same from low A in 2007 to AA, AAA, and the MLB in 2009, his K numbers are decreasing.

So, as he moves up the ladder, he appears to be making better contact, even if his plate discipline is still lacking.

Francisco has huge plate coverage. He fairly easily gets to pitches just off the outside of the plate. So he is presented with the following dilemma: swing and often hit those pitches, or take them and get balls and walks.

This explains, to me, his low walk rate. He can hit pitches just outside -- pitches that other batters will take.

There are successful bad ball hitters. However, as a young (June) 22 year old, it is also possible that JF may learn that it's best not to swing at those slightly outside pitches.

The bad scenario is someone who doesn't recognize outside pitches. I think JF does -- he just is able to reach them pretty well.

From what I saw, the one area of need for him is recognizing off speed pitches, a common point of growth for young hitters. Even in two weeks with the Reds, he seemed to improve on this.

Juan Francisco's career is going to come down to two simple things.... either walk more or strike out less. Alone, neither is a current problem, but when combined, it is going to hold him back. There are good signs though. His K rate has continued to go down. He also has shown glimpses that he can have some actual patience.

Turn Off Ads?