Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

102 69.86%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

18 12.33%
  • Todd Frazier

3 2.05%
  • Chris Heisey

4 2.74%
  • Mike Leake

9 6.16%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

8 5.48%
  • Travis Wood

2 1.37%
  • Other - name him

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

It's time to start the Redszone top 40 prospects poll. There will be three days in between each poll...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

I chose Alonso. I also considered Frazier, Leake, and Yorman but I went with Alonso. The broken bone in his hand held him back some but he still had a solid season (.829 OPS in AA, including a 1.021 OPS in his final 50+ plate appearances). I still see him as a future .300/.400/.550 type of player. I expect him to begin 2010 in Louisville and push for a callup sometime during the summer. The only question is will the Reds trade Alonso or move Votto to left field?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

IMO, the only guys that really should be considered for the #1 spot is Alonso or Leake.

Everyone else can fight for 3rd and beyond.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso.

Pro's - Elite plate discipline. Power to all fields. Projects to hit for a strong average.
    Con's - Stuck at first base defensively. Hasn't had a great line against lefties in his 71 career pro AB's versus left handers (13 walks and 15 strikeouts).

The guy looks like a legit option to be .300/.400/.500 each year for a long time. Easy choice for me.

Alonso, easy enough.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

IMO, the Reds top three prospects are Alonso, Francisco and Frazier - in whatever order you choose. I saw Leake pitch in the CWS and I can't put him that high before one pro inning. Yorman is another candidate but is so young and raw that I can't rate him above guys with a track record.

I've stuck up for Francisco for over two years and will try to avoid the same old debate. He's the impact guy, the one managers and pitchers will fear. Frazier is very consistent. Alonso has high end talent, hasn't shown power, supposedly doesn't hit lefties. Looks like a very patient high OBP hitter though who uses the whole field.

I don't think guys like Heisey or Wood have the tools to match the top three, from what I've read and based on certain of their stats. They have skills, don't think they have as much upside. I like Cozart, but not in the top five.

So for me it's Alonso, Francisco, and Frazier in whatever order you choose. I'm going with JF because he's the youngest, has come the farthest, and was very impressive with the Reds in September.
    He's not a wild swinger, I'm not that worried about his walk rate at this stage. Sweet complimented his LF instincts. And he's a powerhouse at the plate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-13-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Alonso is likely the only potential impact guy in the high minors. Easy number 1 choice. After this it is much less clear. For me the drop is so big that the next two choices are based more on potential than production (Leake and Rodriguez). The next several are likely role players in the big leagues (but guys like FRancisco, Frazier and Heisey could be really good ones). Cozart is the wild card for me. If he can hit like he has shown flashes of, he could be a productive every day SS and that is pretty valuable.

Beats the heck out of all those years when the Reds had to sign guys for $2 or $3 Million per year to be role players.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yonder Alonso.

Pro's - Elite plate discipline. Power to all fields. Projects to hit for a strong average.
    Con's - Stuck at first base defensively. Hasn't had a great line against lefties in his 71 career pro AB's versus left handers (13 walks and 15 strikeouts).

The guy looks like a legit option to be .300/.400/.500 each year for a long time. Easy choice for me.
    +1 this is why Alonso got my vote.

How does Alonso grade out/differ/project as a prospect to Jay Bruce? More or less power overall? More or less power to the opposite field?

I usually use the baseball cube scores as a good reference point, but I enjoy your posts on matters like this. Wanted to see what you had to say.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Mike Leake hasn't pitched a professional inning yet, but he has pitched at the highest level of college competition with great success. He is, by all accounts, a very polished and mature pitcher, and his path to the bigs isn't blocked, as Alonso's is. He gets my vote.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I'm in the Francisco camp. His lack of walks don't bother me too much as long as he maintains a high average, because he'll be hitting in an RBI position of the lineup (and walks don't drive in runs). I just think the guy is a gifted hitter. He seems to get better at every level, and even showed signs of that in Cincinnati in September. He handled off-speed stuff. He walked. He showed his power. It was, of course, an absurdly small sample, but it was also consistent with his patterns of improvement. And he's very young. Now, his defense is another matter. I believe he's better than he demonstrated last year, but it still gives me pause.

I also like Frazier for his makeup. Something about Alonso hasn't lit my fire yet.

Yorman for me. Advanced skills defensively, especially for his age, plays the premier OF position, has room to grow and could see time in Dayton next year. Personally, I'd consider starting him at Dayton, despite the .600 OPS he put up at Billings. I'd consider it, though I'm not sure I would actually do it. You don't want him developing bad habits like overswinging and losing patience. He may have the highest ceiling in the org. as an overall player.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Alonso. I've got him pencilled in at 1b in Cinti in July. Team guy Votto, who wants to win, to LF.

Easy choice for me in Yonder Alonso as he is clearly the only elite prospect in our system. Frazier would have been considered if he could play shortstop adequately and had Stewart not been traded he would have been considered as well. Francisco has too many holes and Leake is a #3 starter, while yorman, duran and soto are far from being ready. Alonso has the highest floor of all of our prospects and a high ceiling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I chose Alonso. I also considered Frazier, Leake, and Yorman but I went with Alonso. The broken bone in his hand held him back some but he still had a solid season (.829 OPS in AA, including a 1.021 OPS in his final 50+ plate appearances). I still see him as a future .300/.400/.550 type of player. I expect him to begin 2010 in Louisville and push for a callup sometime during the summer. The only question is will the Reds trade Alonso or move Votto to left field?
    I think there's a chance Alonso could start in AA...but maybe not.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    +1 this is why Alonso got my vote.

How does Alonso grade out/differ/project as a prospect to Jay Bruce? More or less power overall? More or less power to the opposite field?

I usually use the baseball cube scores as a good reference point, but I enjoy your posts on matters like this. Wanted to see what you had to say.
    Alonso doesn't have as much power as Jay Bruce, but not many guys do. Jay Bruce is a 35-40 HR guy today. At age 22. Alonso probably has as much power as Votto does though with room to grow some, much like Votto. However he projects to walk more and strikeout less than Votto.

Turn Off Ads?