Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: First AFL Box score

Re: First AFL Box score

Heisey needed a HR in the 9th for the cycle. He didn't get it and flied out. Alonso came up after him and homered. Cycle by proxy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Heisey is just going nuts in AZ. He's 4 for 4 so far today. Now hitting .593.
    The kid is a good one no doubt.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Heisey after 7 games:

16 for 28
    5 doubles
    2 triples
    2 HR

(that's 9 XBH vs 7 singles)

3 BB
    2 K

.571/.704/1.107

For a respectable OPS of 1.811

I'd like to see him walk more.

Heisey needed a HR in the 9th for the cycle. He didn't get it and flied out. Alonso came up after him and homered. Cycle by proxy.
    I like that.

Heisey may be a better offensive player than even I thought.

Heisey after 7 games:

16 for 28
    5 doubles
    2 triples
    2 HR

(that's 9 XBH vs 7 singles)

3 BB
    2 K

.571/.704/1.107

For a respectable OPS of 1.811

I'd like to see him walk more.
    Nice.

If Heisey could keep hitting like this, he'd complete a very good defensive outfield for Cincinnati. I don't know that he'll have the bat to man left, but if he does, we know he can play defense and would be a great defensive trio of he, Stubbs and Bruce.

As much as Heisey, if he gains any trade value, I prefer to package him in a trade for another player, let Votto move to left and use Alonso at first. But regardless, I'm glad to see Heisey continue to hit (or pick it back up after finishing AAA kind of slow).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If Heisey could keep hitting like this, he'd complete a very good defensive outfield for Cincinnati.
    If he keeps hitting like this? He's hitting enough right now for two good hitters. Would you settle for a .905 OPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If Heisey could keep hitting like this, he'd complete a very good defensive outfield for Cincinnati. I don't know that he'll have the bat to man left, but if he does, we know he can play defense and would be a great defensive trio of he, Stubbs and Bruce.

As much as Heisey, if he gains any trade value, I prefer to package him in a trade for another player, let Votto move to left and use Alonso at first. But regardless, I'm glad to see Heisey continue to hit (or pick it back up after finishing AAA kind of slow).
    A simpler solution would be to package Alonso in a trade.

Heisey mastered AA pitching this year. I'd guess the AFL pitching is about AA level, but emphasizing pretty high end talent.

Heisey needs a couple of hot months at AAA next year and then he needs to be in the major leagues. My guess is he could be traded because his value is enhanced by his ability to play CF. The Reds likely will keep Stubbs instead due to his terrific defense. Somebody looking for a CF should have a lot of interest in Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    If he keeps hitting like this? He's hitting enough right now for two good hitters. Would you settle for a .905 OPS?
    I'm a big Heisey fan. That can be checked if you look at my comments a few months ago in the Heisey/Stubbs thread.

However, my point is that this is a very small sample and it's against AA and A-ball competition, at least in terms of experience level. When you look at Heisey's production in AAA, he was very ordinary. I do believe he'll bounce back next year and pick up where he left off, but I'm just not ready to jump the gun because of 5-6 real good games.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Heisey mastered AA pitching this year. I'd guess the AFL pitching is about AA level, but emphasizing pretty high end talent.

Heisey needs a couple of hot months at AAA next year and then he needs to be in the major leagues. My guess is he could be traded because his value is enhanced by his ability to play CF. The Reds likely will keep Stubbs instead due to his terrific defense. Somebody looking for a CF should have a lot of interest in Heisey.
    Heisey + Moloney for Hardy, With Cameron option likely Decline maybe Brewers will need a CF

No way I'd be considering trading either Heisey or Alonso at this point. If we have some good talent, you know, it doesn't always mean we should just be as creative as possible in figuring out ways to get them out the front door.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    A simpler solution would be to package Alonso in a trade.

I know lots of people here love Yonder. What's not to like. But he's simply a bad fit. He is BY FAR our best trading chip outside of Votto...and there's simply no chance I'm dealing Joey. Nottachance!

What if Alonso's better than Joey? Remember he's going to be cheaper longer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

I know lots of people here love Yonder. What's not to like. But he's simply a bad fit. He is BY FAR our best trading chip outside of Votto...and there's simply no chance I'm dealing Joey. Nottachance!
    Unfortunately the Reds, at least from rumors from scouts in the NL, think a little differently than you about Votto.

Turn Off Ads?