Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 203

Thread: First AFL Box score

  1. #136
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Yonder Alonso the future of the Reds in LF

    IMO at the time of the draft, the Reds did not think Votto was going to be the ball player he has become, in fact no one really did. Most saw his ceiling as a .280/.350/.420-.450 hitter, a solid player, but not a fixture, thus thought that once Alonso was ready, they could trade Votto to fill other needs. But now that he has established himself as one of the top hitters in the league, despite his posistion, he is going nowhere, and the Reds still want to make use of Alonso's bat.
    Even if that were true, Votto to LF and Alonso to 1B still is a MUCH better combo than the other way around.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Huh?
    Yonder trying out other positions says something. What it says I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't read like Yonder to 1st and Votto to LF or to another org. anytime soon.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  4. #138
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yonder trying out other positions says something. What it says I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't read like Yonder to 1st and Votto to LF or to another org. anytime soon.
    Well there wasn't a picture of Yonder, which is where I was first confused.... but even so I don't think Yonder getting a little extra time anywhere else is all that much worth reading into. The guy just has a lower body that doesn't bode well for running, so left field is likely out of the question. I just don't see the Reds playing him at 3B given that they said he is a first baseman only after last season.

  5. #139
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well there wasn't a picture of Yonder, which is where I was first confused.... but even so I don't think Yonder getting a little extra time anywhere else is all that much worth reading into. The guy just has a lower body that doesn't bode well for running, so left field is likely out of the question. I just don't see the Reds playing him at 3B given that they said he is a first baseman only after last season.
    Whether he can or not is not really relevant. I think it absolutely does tell us the Reds are not committed to trading Votto and are looking for other ways to get Alonso into the picture without moving Votto. I know you never claimed the Reds were going to trade Votto, only that they were not completely against it. However, I do think this is telling. They wouldn't be trying him at other positions if they were committed to him staying at first, even if it meant moving Joey.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #140
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Whether he can or not is not really relevant. I think it absolutely does tell us the Reds are not committed to trading Votto and are looking for other ways to get Alonso into the picture without moving Votto. I know you never claimed the Reds were going to trade Votto, only that they were not completely against it. However, I do think this is telling. They wouldn't be trying him at other positions if they were committed to him staying at first, even if it meant moving Joey.
    I guess I have to ask, where does this tell us this is the Reds idea at all? Not saying its not, but nothing says that it is either.

  7. #141
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Todays AFL game is still going on, but its in the 9th and Peoria is done in their half of the 9th. Unless they blow a big 9th inning lead,no Reds will pitch.

    Chris Heisey went 2-4 with a solo HR and a walk.
    Yonder Alonso went 0-3 with 2 walks.
    Zack Cozart went 2-4 with a double and a walk.

  8. #142
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: First AFL Box score

    I only saw Yonder in Louisville for a very few games but his defense at 1st surprised me. He made several very fine plays and looked very skilled. From what I saw I think he could handle 3B. But then we have the clusterf@*k of guys that can only play 3rd or left. Rolen, for now, Cisco, Frazier, Dorn and now Alonso. I would think there's going to be a major trade in the somewhat near future. You might even throw Heisey in there since Stubbs should be entrenched in CF. IF Cozart comes to Louisville, Valaika and Cozart should be the MI. So where does Richar go? Dickerson may come into play as well. I see a big package that includes Willy T being shipped off.

  9. #143
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess I have to ask, where does this tell us this is the Reds idea at all? Not saying its not, but nothing says that it is either.
    I'm not sure what other reason the Reds would have to try this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #144
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not sure what other reason the Reds would have to try this.
    I agree with you here, but my question was where does it say that the Reds are having him do this at all? For all we know Yonder is doing it because he saw what Votto did this year and thinks it could help his chances of reaching Cincinnati sooner.

  11. #145
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I agree with you here, but my question was where does it say that the Reds are having him do this at all? For all we know Yonder is doing it because he saw what Votto did this year and thinks it could help his chances of reaching Cincinnati sooner.
    Would he not need some degree of permission to do so?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  12. #146
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Would he not need some degree of permission to do so?
    Very doubtful. Guys take some practice out of position all the time in batting practice as they just shag balls in the outfield or mess around on the infield at another position. Granted we have no idea if this is what is going on or not, but I don't think its something that he needs to get permission for. To play there in a game I think he would, but to take some practice there on his own time, which he said he has been, I think that is on him.

  13. #147
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Mike Leake is starting today.
    Follow along here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...sswin_peswin_1

  14. #148
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Leake is finished. 3.2ip, 5h, 3 unearned runs, 0bb, 3K. FB was 88-92, hit 93 once. 49 pitches, 39 strikes.

  15. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Leake, so far, gets hit pretty well, but he doesn't allow all that many runs. Could be a case of bearing down when he needs it or could be a case of luck due to sample size. At least it's nice to see him stretch out a bit.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  16. #150
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,238

    Re: First AFL Box score

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Leake, so far, gets hit pretty well, but he doesn't allow all that many runs. Could be a case of bearing down when he needs it or could be a case of luck due to sample size. At least it's nice to see him stretch out a bit.
    Most pitchers do get hit a bit in the AFL. The league AVERAGES an .850 OPS. Today looked like the best game Leake has thrown out there. 49 pitches and just 10 balls were thrown. Reached his highest velocity so far at 93 MPH. In each game his fastball gets quicker with each inning. I agree though that his ERA is lower than it should be. Likely some luck with his LOB% (which I don't know but I imagine its higher than average).


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25