Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: First AFL Box score

Re: First AFL Box score

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I notice Alonso only has 4 K's and 3 BB's in 53 PA's so far. Seems to me that he's working on something down there (isn't that what the instructional league is for?), and consequently, what the overall results are in 53 PA's is irrelevant.
    Well the Reds are looking for a big RBI bat, probably what he is working on. Wonder if that's his idea or the Reds. Too bad he just like the rest of the Reds won't have much of anyone to drive in.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

11/5 and Reds pitchers continue to get rocked.

Boxberger 1.1 IP, 3H, 4BB, 4ER, 0K.
    Watson 1 IP, 1H, 1BB, 1K, 1 ER.
    Ondrusek 1 IP, 3H, 0BB, 0K, 3ER, 1 HR.

Alonso went one for two and was removed from the game (not sure why). heisey was only a PR in this game and Cozart DNP.

I've read lots of raves about Boxberger, but he seems overatched in this league. He's probably farther away than believed and I wonder if he's even a lock to skip Dayton at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    11/5 and Reds pitchers continue to get rocked.

Boxberger 1.1 IP, 3H, 4BB, 4ER, 0K.
    Watson 1 IP, 1H, 1BB, 1K, 1 ER.
    Ondrusek 1 IP, 3H, 0BB, 0K, 3ER, 1 HR.

Alonso went one for two and was removed from the game (not sure why). heisey was only a PR in this game and Cozart DNP.

I've read lots of raves about Boxberger, but he seems overatched in this league. He's probably farther away than believed and I wonder if he's even a lock to skip Dayton at this point.
    The league averages an .850 OPS. He hasn't pitched since May prior to this. Don't read anything into his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The league averages an .850 OPS. He hasn't pitched since May prior to this. Don't read anything into his stats.
    Probably right, but I have to think the organization is evaluating him against this competition to see if he's ready to start off in high A or if he needs to fatten up on low A hitters. Maybe not and the line is probably not how they'll evaluate him anyhow, but this must mean something to the Reds or why would they send him at all?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Probably right, but I have to think the organization is evaluating him against this competition to see if he's ready to start off in high A or if he needs to fatten up on low A hitters. Maybe not and the line is probably not how they'll evaluate him anyhow, but this must mean something to the Reds or why would they send him at all?
    Send him there to get some experience. Work on something. Get a look at him so you know what to tell him to work on during the offseason. Help him learn to pitch to pros. There could be a few other reasons as well. I just don't think the Reds are watching now to determine where he will start next year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Alonso focusing on basics in Arizona
    '08 first-rounder plates two clutch runs in Saguaros' win

11/12/09 7:20 PM EST

The secret of Yonder Alonso's success comes from sticking with the basics.

Alonso drove in two key runs for Peoria in the Saguaros' 6-3 victory over the Scottsdale Scorpions on Thursday afternoon.

The Reds' first-round pick in 2008 delivered a two-RBI single in the third inning to give the Saguaros a lead they would not relinquish. The Cuban-born first baseman also singled and was driven in by Jon Gaston (Astros) in the fifth inning.

"You have a guy like [the Pirates' Donnie] Veal who has been in the bigs and knows what he is doing, you just want to go up there and put a good swing on the ball and just try not to do too much," Alonso said.

Alonso, who was a Florida State League Midseason All-Star, started for the West and drove in two runs in the AFL Rising Stars Showcase last Saturday.

"Ninety-five percent of the players there go to the big leagues," he said. "It's an honor to be part of something I will remember the rest of my life."

Carlos Rivero (Indians) homered, doubled and scored twice for Peoria (12-14). The 21-year-old shortstop extended his hitting streak to seven games. Atlanta farmhand Brandon Hicks added a solo homer.

Cole Gillespie (Diamondbacks) contributed a pair of doubles and drove in a run for Scottsdale (10-15). Jose Tabata (Pirates) continued his hot hitting with a pair of singles and has six multi-hit games in his last 10 contests.

Josh Judy (Indians) picked up his second win after allowing two hits and fanning two in 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief. Dan Meszaros (Astros) picked up his first save, striking out one in a scoreless ninth.

Pirates pitcher Donnie Veal was tagged for three runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings in his first AFL loss. Tony Watson (Pirates) pitched a perfect frame in relief.
    Heisey went 0 for 3 with 2 BB and his line is now at .308/.400/.641/1.041
    Alonso went 2 for 4 and is now at .290/.333/.406/.739

The power usually is the last thing to return after the wrist injury that Alonso had. He seems to be zeroing in a little and this time in Arizona may go a long way toward readying him for 2010. The BB will come when the power comes back.

Still no Cozart.

Cozart is no longer on the Saguaros roster

great outing from leake tonight: 4ip 1h 1r 0er 1bb 2k 7/3 gb/fb

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    great outing from leake tonight: 4ip 1h 1r 0er 1bb 2k 7/3 gb/fb
    On the other hand,

Brad Boxberger still can't get a clean outing (1 IP, 2H, 1ER, 1K) and Logan Ondrusek continues to stink up the joint (.1 IP, 3H, 1BB, 1HBP, 4ER). Ondrusek has an ERA of 13.50.

No Reds' position players played in the game.

On 11-16:

Chris Heisey went 0 for 5 and the OPS drops to .950.
    Yonder Alonso went 0 for 2 with 3 BB.

Heisey's last 10 games.... 17 strikeouts, 35 at bats. Ouch.

Heisey's gassed. He's been straight out... winter ball last year in PR, Futures Game, AAA playoffs, AFL and its Rising Stars Game. Tank's empty.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Heisey's gassed. He's been straight out... winter ball last year in PR, Futures Game, AAA playoffs, AFL and its Rising Stars Game. Tank's empty.
    That's my guess also. He started both AAA and AFL on fire, then went cold. I prefer to believe that he had a little shot of adrenalin in each case, as opposed to having the pitchers find his weaknesses.

I am looking across the AFL stats to see what Heisey and Alonso are doing and I trip across this name Adam Loewen - as a hitter?!?!?!

Perhaps I was asleep and missed it but when did the Orioles give up on him pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I am looking across the AFL stats to see what Heisey and Alonso are doing and I trip across this name Adam Loewen - as a hitter?!?!?!

Perhaps I was asleep and missed it but when did the Orioles give up on him pitching.
    After his last injury. He decided to give it a go as a hitter.

Turn Off Ads?