Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First AFL Box score

Re: First AFL Box score

I believe we will continue to see the Reds draft pitching high under Jocketty.

Curious that Boxberger came back on 4 days rest and Leake has not had his 2nd outing yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I believe we will continue to see the Reds draft pitching high under Jocketty.

Curious that Boxberger came back on 4 days rest and Leake has not had his 2nd outing yet.
    Leake is starting tomorrow.

Leake is starting tomorrow.
    That's good.

That's good.
    Yeah, and its a home game which means more Pitch F/X data to work with.

Yeah, and its a home game which means more Pitch F/X data to work with.
    Nice. Personally, I'd like to see a little better velo from Leake, but that may take time. He clearly has good movement.

Nice. Personally, I'd like to see a little better velo from Leake, but that may take time. He clearly has good movement.
    Yeah, I am hoping to see him throw a little harder than he was in his last outing.

Im not concerned with velocity as much, he's a lot like Arroyo, pin point control and great at keeping the hitter off balance

Im not concerned with velocity as much, he's a lot like Arroyo, pin point control and great at keeping the hitter off balance
    True. But scouting reports had him touching 94, which suggests he should be in the low 90s routinely, and he hasn't shown that yet.

He hit 94, at least by the TV gun, in one of the games I saw him pitch on TV, superregional I think, maybe WS.

He's a more valuable pitcher if he can dial it up to the mid-90's when he needs to. I don't care if he pitches in the upper 80's as long as he changes speeds well. (Though I'd also prefer a faster fastball that misses bats).

So far today, Leake: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K...ERA - 1.80, 43 pitches, 24 strikes

According to GameDay he threw one fastball @ 91 mph, everything else at 90 or below

Leake's FB velocity today sorted fastest to slowest. Both of the 92 MPH's came in the 4th inning. He seemed to get stronger as the game went along.
    Code:

Pretty much the same as was mentioned on here, but:

BenBadler #Reds '09 1st-round RHP Mike Leake goes 3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K today in AFL. Fastball 88-91, touched 92

I went ahead and did a graph looking at Mike Leake's fastball velocity in each start. They are in chronological order. In each start we can see that as the game goes along, Leake gets more zip on his fastball.

Perhaps we aren't seeing more 92-93-94's because Leake simply isn't going long enough in the games yet? Of course maybe he just doesn't go there often too. We don't really know yet. I do like that that he is gaining velocity as the innings go on.

Heisey is just going nuts in AZ. He's 4 for 4 so far today. Now hitting .593.

Turn Off Ads?