Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America's International League Top 20 Prospects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball America's International League Top 20 Prospects

14. Drew Stubbs, of, Louisville (Reds)
    20. Chris Heisey, of, Louisville (Reds)

On Stubbs:

The power surge in Cincy didn't surprise Rick Sweet. He says Stubbs hit many balls at pitcher-friendly Louisville Slugger Field that would have been homers in Cincinnati. Above-average raw power, speed, and arm strength. Became more disruptive on basepaths by improving reads. Sweet challenged him to play a shallow CF and he responded by covering a lot of ground.

On Heisey:

Patient approach at the plate. Makes consistent hard contact with good bat speed. Plus runner and good basestealer. Good range and arm strength, can play all three outfield positions with right field being his best position.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268992.html

Re: Baseball America's International League Top 20 Prospects

watching Heisey at Dayton, I was most impressed with his speed, he wasnt as fast as Stubbs but he was very very fast.

I made a Randy Winn comp for Hesiey the other day. What do others think. The guy has hit absolutely everywhere. He's got a very well-rounded skill set. And yet he's often left out of the discussion. What do people think reasonable expectations are for Heisey and where does he fit in the Reds picture?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I made a Randy Winn comp for Hesiey the other day. What do others think. The guy has hit absolutely everywhere. He's got a very well-rounded skill set. And yet he's often left out of the discussion. What do people think reasonable expectations are for Heisey and where does he fit in the Reds picture?
    I think Winn is an excellent comp for tools and projecting. Perhaps a hair more pop potential, but yeah I like that comp a lot.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think Winn is an excellent comp for tools and projecting. Perhaps a hair more pop potential, but yeah I like that comp a lot.
    I agree. A very solid comparison, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    How about Mark Kotsay? I've heard that comparison before. If so he's undervalued around here.

Quote Originally Posted by urdun View Post
    How about Mark Kotsay? I've heard that comparison before. If so he's undervalued around here.
    Are you implying that Kotsay is better than Winn?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's mostly a matter of preference their virtually the same player with an edge in SB's for Winn. I think he's probably more like Kotsay in the long run with regard to the SB's anyhow which is why I have always compared Heisey to Kotsay myself.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Well when I said that I thought they were similiar players but hadn't realized Winn was actually a smidge better. Either way he's undervalued if he reaches those levels.

I always thought Shane Victorino was a good comp, but Winn is pretty solid too.

Turn Off Ads?