Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pujols puts brakes on extension offer

Pujols puts brakes on extension offer

Not yet, he says to the Cardinal offer of extension negotiations.

Of course, hes' echoing the "it's not about the money" principal. While it might not be all about the money, I agree with Jim Rome on this: when someone says it's not about the money, often it's about the money.

Pujols: "Money is Not Everything"

The St. Louis Cardinals have expressed interest in extending Albert Pujols' contract during the winter, but the slugger is not in a hurry.

"I'm not desperate to sign a contract extension. I still have one year remaining in my contract for 2010 and a club option for 2011. I leave the rest in God's hands," Pujols told a Dominican radio station (CDN 92.5 FM) Wednesday during an interview on the sports program "Manana Deportiva."

Pujols signed a seven-year contract for $100 million after the 2003 season, but the two-time MVP said money will not be the central issue in his next contract.

"We have not sat down to talk about contracts yet. Last week, the GM [John Mozeliak] called me and I told them to talk to my lawyer. But I reiterate that money is not everything, it's better to have a competitive team that can go to the postseason," he added.

Pujols, 29, hit .327 with 47 home runs and 135 RBIs this season for the Cardinals, and is a heavy favorite to win the National League MVP.

However, the 2008 and 2005 NL MVP still gets nervous when speaking of the award.

"Let's wait. I'd rather not talk about it, but I can tell you that I had a good season and I deserve it, but also Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard," he said.

Pujols indicated that he will undergo an MRI exam next week to check the status of his elbow, which was operated on last winter.

"It's just a routine that I do when the season is over to make sure that everything is OK. I feel good, but it's something I will confirm," he said.

Pujols lamented that the Cardinals were swept in the first round of the postseason by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"I didn't think we would be swept, but only God knows what will happen to you," he said.

Pujols' prediction is that the Dodgers will advance to the World Series to face the Los Angeles Angels.

"I know the Yankees and Philadelphia have good teams, but my favorites for the World Series are the Dodgers and the Angels," he said.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Pujols puts brakes on extension offer

Albert Pujols, a Yankee by either 2011 or 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Seems too probable, unfortunately.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If they resign Holliday and make other moves that show Pujols that they want to compete AND are willing to pay Pujols the tons of money required then they'll have a chance. Otherwise he'll go to the highest bidder.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Seems too probable, unfortunately.
    Considering the team St. Louis put together going into this year I don't blame him.They made some nice moves around the trade deadline but on opening day they weren't much better then the Reds.I give them credit for improving their team when they showed they were close but if your the best player in baseball I can't imagine that's a situation you want to make a long term commitment to.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Considering the team St. Louis put together going into this year I don't blame him.They made some nice moves around the trade deadline but on opening day they weren't much better then the Reds.I give them credit for improving their team when they showed they were close but if your the best player in baseball I can't imagine that's a situation you want to make a long term commitment to.
    They definitely started the year with a questionable cast of characters around him. I will say though, in defense of the organization, this was the first year in the last several that they had not started the year hovering in the $90-100 mil mark on opening day. Spending hasn't generally been a problem.

Unless of course he wants to sign with the Reds I would prefer to see Pujols remain a Cardinal. I rather like the idea of a superstar player remaining with one team throughout his major league career.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I can't imagine Pujols will leave St. Louis. They'll open up the checkbook for him and I think he'll want to stay. There's only a few players who ever warrant basically ponying up and paying whatever they need to get a deal done and Pujols is one of those rare few. He's the brand right now. While Joe Mauer is not in Pujols' league, he is Twins baseball here in Minnesota. They let Johan Santana leave, Morneau will likely leave, Tori Hunter they let leave as well. But I don't see how they can afford to let mauer go somewhere else. It's rare, but sometimes it's worth it for smaller revenue teams to pay top tier salaries for one player. In general, it's not worth it, but some players are that much bigger than their production on the field.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

getting pujols out of the central is nothing but a good thing for the reds...

So, how many years would you give Pujols in a new contract?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Me personally, I don't trust signing guys 30 years old to more than a 5-year deal. But I realize in this day and age, that's not very practical. I suppose since he's not a guy expected to age poorly, and at a position he could play a little longer, I give him an 8-year deal.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If I'm the Reds, I sign him to another 7 year deal, and then go with some Wakefield-esque deals (aka 1 year player options until the player decides he's done).

If I'm not the Reds, give him a 5 year deal, and see what he's doing after that contract.

C'mon BCast....pony up. This would be a sure fire way to get the Reds contending in '11 or '12 and beyond.

If I'm the Reds, I sign him to another 7 year deal, and then go with some Wakefield-esque deals (aka 1 year player options until the player decides he's done).

If I'm not the Reds, give him a 5 year deal, and see what he's doing after that contract.
    Pujols is 30 in 2010. A 10 year $250 Million deal really isn't out of the question for him to be thinking about. I don't blame him for mulling it over.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Haunted by walks

When they say it's not about the money, it's about how many years of the money.

Let's hope his hamstrings hold up.

Turn Off Ads?