Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The All Worst Acquisition team

The All Worst Acquisition team

Watching the NLCS I see Jayson Werth playing for Philly and I'm reminded of how the Reds were looking for a RH Bat in the off-season when he became available. The Reds not only passed but traded for the faded more expensive guy that he replaced (Jeff Conine). So, I put togther a quick all worst acquisition team of the most recent seasons. I've put the initials of the GM to blame after the name of the chosen disaster. In some cases it was the GM who resigned or reacquired the player who is more to blame than the guy who originally brought him in.

1B - Jeff Conine (WK)
    2B - Tony Womack (DO)
    SS - Royce Clayton (WK)
    3B - Scott Rolen (WJ - because of what they paid to get him)
    LF - Jerry Hairston (WJ - who brought him back)
    CF - Willy Taveras (WJ)
    RF - Quinton McCracken (WK - because they kept him over Cody Ross)
    C - Paul Bako (WK)

UI - Juan Castro (WK)
    4OF - Corey Patterson (WK)
    PH - John Vander Wal (DO)
    C- Wilkin Castillo (WJ)
    U - Danny Richar (WJ)

SP - Eric Milton (DO)
    SP - Kirk Saarloos (WK)
    SP - Josh Fogg (WK)
    SP - Ramon Ortiz (DO)
    SP - Dave Williams (DO)
    SW - Joe Mays (WK)
    RP - Gary Majewski (WK)
    RP - Mike Lincoln (WJ)
    RP - Mike Burns (DO)
    RP - Rheal Cormier (WK)
    RP - Mike Stanton (WK)
    RP - Victor Santos (WK)

No wonder Krivsky spent so much on Cordero. It seems he couldn't fix the bullpen to save his life. I'm sure there are other choices. Chime in.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-15-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The All Worst Acquisition team

Hairston was very useful during his "tenure"....Juan Castro was exactly as advertised as unexciting as it was....and the jury is still WAY out on the Rolen acquisition regardless of the cost....the rest of the list definitely pretty sad

nothing wrong with Hairston. He was misused, but injuries caused some of that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

That's a painful list to look at.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Hairston was very useful during his "tenure"....Juan Castro was exactly as advertised as unexciting as it was....and the jury is still WAY out on the Rolen acquisition regardless of the cost....the rest of the list definitely pretty sad
    Castro was actually acquired twice. Once by JimBo and once by Wayne.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

You know the bullpen is atrocious when Rick White can't crack the first team.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Lots of "WK"s in that bullpen...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

That is a good list of awful mediocrity.

I'd honorable mention Buck Coats, Quinton McCracken, Jason Romano, Todd Van Poppel and Tim Hummel (3B)
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't see how Conine was a 'disaster' just because of who we didn't get. He was perfectly fine in his role and played well.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

I'd honorable mention Buck Coats, Quinton McCracken, Jason Romano, Todd Van Poppel and Tim Hummel (3B)

Yeah, but Hummel gave the Reds street cred.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, but Hummel gave the Reds street cred.
    True dat
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I came across this news story just after posting this. Not sure why I find this article so humorous...but I do!

http://eon.businesswire.com/portal/s...73&newsLang=en

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Former Major League Baseball player Jason Romano today visited with Florida State University athletes and trainers to discuss sports injuries, the effects on playing ability and the treatment of athletes in recovery. Having personally benefitted from Speed Gel, Romano was passionate to share his experiences with Florida State’s athletic department. Romano supplied samples of Speed Gel, inviting athletes and trainers to experience its unique benefits during their normal workout routine.

“Trainers and athletes are always looking for something post game to take away aches and pains,” said Jason Romano, spokesperson for Speed Gel. “Speed Gel will be a great compliment to ice for Florida State athletes after their workouts.”

This fall, Romano is taking his Speed Gel experiences on the road to other universities, professional athletic teams and sporting events throughout Florida. Romano hopes to spread awareness of Speed Gel through communicating how it successfully carried him through his baseball injuries, aches and pains. Romano strongly feels that Speed Gel enabled him to finish out his career as a successful player.

Speed Gel is a paradigm shift in the treatment of muscle and joint pain, injuries and inflammation. Its powerful ingredients are delivered directly through the skin using a patented transdermal technology, which penetrates to the exact site of injury. Unlike muscle rubs that mask pain and oral pain relievers that must pass through the entire body, Speed Gel localizes treatment and starts the recovery process on contact.

Jason Romano was drafted directly out of high school as a 1st round pick for the Texas Rangers in 1997. Spending the first 5 years in the Minor Leagues, Romano’s strong performance made him the Rangers’ top prospect, leading him to his Major League debut in April of 2002 against the Anaheim Angels. Romano was also a super utility player for the Colorado Rockies, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Cincinnati Reds. After suffering from a series of major injuries, Romano retired from baseball in Spring 2009.

Gensco Laboratories, LLC is a specialty pharmaceutical drug development company based out of Inverness, Florida. For more information, go to www.speedgel.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't see how Conine was a 'disaster' just because of who we didn't get. He was in his role and played well.
    Conine played 1B and had the platoon advantage when he was in there and still only managed an OPS of .729. That's a horrible disadvantage at that position. Add that the Reds actually went out and acquired him at age 41 when assembling younger talent that could jell down the road was direction that the team needed to go. He was a horrible idea that worked out the way horrible ideas usually do.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    nothing wrong with Hairston. He was misused, but injuries caused some of that.
    He was a horrible acquisition because he was acquired with the idea of playing SS or being part of a LF platoon. Had he been acquired to share CF with Dickerson he wouldn't be on this list. He's not a bad player but it was a horrible acquisition that was part of a horrible plan involving Willy T in CF and a judy hitting platoon in LF.

I have McCracken on there. Forgot all about Coats, Hummel and Romano but they were more flyers than calculated choices. I'm more evaluating the acquisition than the player. McCraken is on the list because the team made a calculated choice to keep him around while cutting Cody Ross loose. That was a horrible decision. The others were more in the "lets take a look" category but didn't have any real opportunity cost associated with them. Rolen falls in the McCracken category for me. I like Rolen well enough as a player, but IMO there were better things to spend the team's top pitching prospect on and to use its final budget dollars for than a 3B who looks like he's on the wane and with a probable .750 or so OPS. That makes him a horrible acquisition IMO.

Van Poppel could easily be there. That last pitching spot was not so bad. Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a guy for cheap when there is nothing better to put in their place so Santos and Mays were much less horrible as acquisitions go than the rest and Van Poppel would seem to be on the level of those two. The others were more calculated "fixes" that were bad ideas from the get go and enough people could see it coming that a MLB GM should have been able to as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-16-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Turn Off Ads?