Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The entire story on our site's performence, where it's headed and everything else

Originally posted by CougarQuest
    Call me a tight wad, but I refuse to pay for sites. With that said, I have made donations to this site in the past, but there is something that just irks me to pay for a site.

If this becomes a pay site, I think we lose people, people who don't have the money to 'waste' on extras like this. I think we also loose out on people from other sites or people who have a valuable insite that won't come in. Can this stop people like ramp, cardinals fans, astro fans, etc. who can give us insite to their club that we don't know or may never know if they won't pay to come in and make one post that informs us? What about a guy who has a lot of medical bills and going through a lot of problems, or a guy out of work temporarily and right now this site is the highlight of their day a place to escape reality? The same person who is too proud to take a donation or be allowed to come in for free while others pay? Some of these people have been here since the beginning. I am totally against making this a pay site.

You want to have a "silent auction", get sponsors, get donations, I'm all for it, but don't make this a pay site because I want EVERYONE to be able to access this site whether they just read or post every second. If we loose one poster (obviously who doesn't cause problems) we may loose a lot.
    I couldn't agree more CQ!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I agree CougarQ, sponsorship seems a better way to go but whatever can be worked out, it has to be a sustainable thing cause the costs will be there every month.

I like the idea of the 30 day trial and then pay an annual fee. I was thinking of of a fee around $10 bucks for the year. $10 bucks won't break too many budgets, And if you only have 600-700 members sign-up, that's $6000-$7000 per year. We ought to be able to handle that. $20 would be fine for me, but it may be a little much for some folks to come up with all at one time. But $10 would be better for some of our students on the board.

Now, there is another question. I have no idea what is involved in setting up an account handling system and keeping track of annual dues and when they are due. Is this too big a load for our moderators? Or should we have a separate account person keeping track of when annual subscription expire.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think that $20.00 a person is the way to go. It might also eliminate the trolls.

quite a conundrum...

I've read some good ideas on how to raise a couple of thousand dollars to keep this fantastic resource breathing. In my opinion, the most logical and easiest of solutions is to find out exactly what we need and ask our members to pitch in to cover the costs. I bet we'd have the money in-hand in a matter of a week or so. It also keeps this board away from the resource depleting banner ads that you'd have with advertising (not to mention the time and effort to get the business to commit and sponsor the site to begin with) and keeps the fine people that dedicate their time to upkeep of the site out of the legality 'business' red tape issues that creep up when you start to get other entities involved with supporting the site financially. I'm sick and tired of the subscription stuff...seems like many sites are going this direction in hail of the almight dollar. I do like ORGs suggestion that we add the sponsorship moniker to a donors log in name to maybe create some competitiveness. Great idea there. I also think the minor league page would create some added interest to those that support the Dragons/Lookouts etc. It then, in turn, would create a bigger fan base for RZ which makes for more donors. I, for one, would enjoy perusing the minor league page.

Regardless, I don't think you'd have a problem raising the money. It's the easiest of all of the great ideas presented thusfar.

VBR

Fundraisers sound like a good idea.

I didn't realize that of the 1,000+ members that they didn't all participate on the board.

You could get banners from various advertisers that pay commissions from CJ.com or LinkShare.com. but the commissions are paid on sales. Naturally, if the members didn't buy anything, the site would not gain any revenues. They have banners small enough that could fit to the right of the RedsZone logo and you could rotate those banners.

Lot of good ideas, lot of big ideas, lot of ideas that would need a bit of research.

My question to our two young college students. How are you guys doing with all this? You've done a tremendous job for a long, long time. It's grown so much. I know you're dedicated, but there's only so much time you can expend to both. Are you at a point where you want to perhaps share the reigns with some other folks? Do you need more technical help?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

I PM'd Boss on this this afternoon, have not had any responce yet, but,

Keep it simple, Make it a pay site if you post for $5.00 a month, bank draft or credit card. With the extra money hire someone to help. If you can't afford $5.00 bucks a month you shouldn't even be on the internet.

Trolls at $25,00 a month.

Trolls at $25,00 a month
    I ain't paying $25.00 dollars a month to tell you something that you already know...............

S'PRING Fan, you are NOT a troll, you are one of my flavor-rite posters, even if you never say any thing worthwhile!

This may be a long shot............. but does everyone remember Eddie Taubensee?

Hope so because he is a very good friend with my brother-in-law(use to work on the grounds crew). Anyway Im going to give Eddie a call or email and see if he would be willing to help and throw in some cash..... He's a very charitable man and very good one at that... I just hope the site doesnt become a pay site.... dont have the money.

Does anyone remember Taubensee?

You are kidding I hope, I would think all of us have at least somewhat of a memory left in our brain.

Can't afford 5 bucks a month? Sure hope that call to Eddie isn't long distance.

Can't afford 5 bucks a month? Sure hope that call to Eddie isn't long distance.
    When you dont have a job of course you cant afford it...

Sorry if I upset you, but why don't you have a job? IMHO, anyone who wants ajob bad enugh can find one. Are you disabled? If not, well I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but what kind of work are you looking for, not what you wish, but maybe something will come along while you are working at a job you hate, It DOES happen.

dont have a job becuase of school...

Turn Off Ads?