Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The entire story on our site's performence, where it's headed and everything else

Cruisin' for trouble
    Just a suggestion or two...

1- Create a sponsor link that would list all who have donated for that month. Create a tiered system in which Gold members donate at least X amount, Silver donate at least Y amount and Bronze donate Z amount. Everyone likes to see their name or handle in a favorable light. The alternative would be to list their status under their username, along with or instead of players names.

2- If a dedicated server is involved, could you offer other simple services? Something along the lines of, donate so much per year and get a mail box that has a "username@redszone.com" address. That would be pretty cool.

In any case, put me down on the list for sponsoring a month's worth of service. Heck, I might be persuaded to take care of two months.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

I do not wish to turn RedsZone into a pay site. While that may help us bandwith wise, I see it only killing its purpose.

I also don't want to always keep asking for help from all of you. I am flattered with so many responses of Reds fans who wish to keep us running. It's amazing.

Advertising/Sponsorship is something I would like to look into. Possibly a rotating banner above the forum (no pop-ups). That is just an idea, but I've seen many larger sites go this route for revenue (focaljet.com | vwvortex.com).

I am behind RZ 100%. I'm out of school for the moment taking a breather from grad school and working full time at Ford SVT. The site won't die from lack of effort.

All of you have been there for us in the past and I know you'll be there in the future. I just want to make sure the effort is organized an planned correctly so we don't revisit this issue each year.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

After school,

Empty Fan, ever hear of a paper route etc? My kids, all 5 of them had jobs before or after school. I wasn't poor or rich, just wanted to teach my kids the joy of making money. $5.00 a month is nothing, sorry, but if you got time to read and post on RedsZone, you have time for a part time job. How old are you anyways, even if it's none of my business?

***Off Topic***

Johnny...give him a little bit of a break...some kids don't work in school and that's it. My parents wouldn't allow me to have a job during the year so I could concentrate only on my studies (undergrad only). He's a Reds fan...love him no matter what.

***Back to Topic***

As it happens i am currently making out checks so Boss please e-mail me with a address to send you a donation. Unless Boss and the others wants to go into the internet business fulltime I really don't see how they can go to a pay per use site. i think there would be Tax problems, legal problems, and time problems.

the biggest problem would be the inability to control the site in the same manner as it has been controled to date. While as a free site boss and others can bar people at will. However once someone pays money to use something it becomes much harder to bar someone.

Also it becomes a product for sale, thus those who have been bared in the past could probably bring legal action to get back in.

i have spend numerous hours, particularly in chat, getting great pleasure out of this site. I have also lost more then 200 dollars on a single noght at the boat. So i think over the course of a year I could pay for at least a month on a dedicated server.

If I do it will be a donation, no strings attached.

Geo, guess you are correct. I agree. So when you get the address, post it or PM me, I will also donate. Thanks

Geo, et. al.

If we decide to start taking donations I will let you all know ASAP.

I did like the idea of maybe putting a PayPal link on the message board...what do you all think?

Empty Fan, ever hear of a paper route etc? My kids, all 5 of them had jobs before or after school. I wasn't poor or rich, just wanted to teach my kids the joy of making money. $5.00 a month is nothing, sorry, but if you got time to read and post on RedsZone, you have time for a part time job. How old are you anyways, even if it's none of my business?
    Im 17....... When i graduate i'll be working for Cincinnati Bell.... And no "P" in Emty ....... And dont hold your breath on me being a paper boy... pretty funny though

Well emty, as a UC student, paper boy may be the best you can hope for . Joking.

GIK, respond when you have time.

Em(no "p")ty RedsFan, I sincerely apologize to you. I should not run my mouth before I put my brain in gear having not known any details in the matter, which I so did. Good luck in your education, good luck in your future. Here's wishing you end up better and more educated than this ole fart who can't even spell correct.

Em(no "p")ty RedsFan, I sincerely apologize to you. I should not run my mouth before I put my brain in gear having not known any details in the matter, which I so did. Good luck in your education, good luck in your future. Here's wishing you end up better and more educated than this ole fart who can't even spell correct.

No need to apologize....

The banner ads seem to be a no-brainer. Something easy that will help off-set some costs; if you don't like them- then ignore them. Its a very small price to pay. I frequent a site and the mods every once in a while remind us the bills are due and its time to click on a banner ad. No big deal! Pop-ups suck but many of us have plop up killers anyway (all of us will if you go that route)

Bottom line, you guys have to make the tough decisions. Whatever you need to do to keep this site around let us know and consider it done. This place is worth an annual fee, pop ups, banner ads, whatever.

We don't want to be forced to go to another site and crashing that one- we like it here.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

GIK,
    I like the paypal option. It would be a lot easier to donate that way. I would expect you guys to get many more donations that way.

Originally posted by GIK
    Geo, et. al.

If we decide to start taking donations I will let you all know ASAP.

I did like the idea of maybe putting a PayPal link on the message board...what do you all think?
    Wonderful idea--I'm in.

Johnny F...that was a classy apology. Should have known since OP is a class place to be from...somehow I suspect you can spell just fine my friend.

I think the PayPal link is a great idea, just maybe some of the mouthy bets we make each other could be in the form of a paypal donation....that would save your children in the future FCB.

Turn Off Ads?