Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The entire story on our site's performence, where it's headed and everything else

I would recommend that GIK and Boss do some follow up with some of their accounting and law professors from their respective universities. Most are doing dual roles of teaching and are active in business at the same time. As students or former students GIK and Boss can get a lot of free input/guidance from trusted sources, CPA’s, Doctorates, and MBA’s, a perk of being a student.

Simply walk up to one or two of them and ask them for an appointment during their office hours for students, sit down with them and run the idea by them and ask them what you need to consider, such as forming a partnership and partnership agreement, individual tax effects from the income or loss of the business, registering to do business in which state, Ohio or Washington (whatever state you are from) since they are doing business under the fictitious name of Redszone.com, is it required or not, or check with the secretary of states office. The company name is that name already being used by another entity.

Normally a simple partnership has business income and expenses, then the net income or net loss after filing a schedule C is reported on the individual taxpayers filings. Turbo tax or version of that (most accounting professionals use those) can handle most of their tax issues when it comes time to file.

Do you or will you need to set up a business bank account for income and paying expenses, that could be used as your bookkeeping and a part of your source documentations.

PayPal requires you to have a credit card and or bank account if you are going to use that to transfer funds. Their incomes will come primarily from advertising and donations. The whole thing should be fairly simple; the tough/time consuming part will be in dealing with advertisers, the maintenance to the site and bookkeeping.

I would recommend placing the PayPal logos at the bottom of the site, as none of their logos are anything special to look at for the appearance and image purposes to the site.

So how much are you going to charge for advertising GIK? Can i get a hometown discount?

Is anyone willing to donate items for a raffle or auction?
    I know where they can get various products to be used for a raffel at the wholesalers cost, or perhaps donated. Might be nice if the raffel at least paid cost.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-18-2003 at 04:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Not to be outdone by a couple of men...

I'll spring for a month of hosting too.

Banners drive me nuts, but if you have to do it, I'll deal with it.

I like the paypal link and the auction idea.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Aw, the only way for a female not to be outdone by a couple of men she must first initiate the idea, have it notarized, copy righted and in triplicate. Otherwise she must spring for two months hosting. :evilgrin:

Originally posted by SandyD
    Here's an idea, GIK et al ... why don't we consider "banner ads" for members. In other words, someone might have created a banner ad to torment Raisor on his 30th birthday ....
    Just for that, everyone that's made fun of my big ass birthday this week should be FORCED to pay the board 30 bucks.

Go ahead, take a shot at me, you're only helping yourself!

Phil, old.

Originally posted by 919191

Is anyone willing to donate items for a raffle or auction?
    If push comes to shove, I can donate one night of lovin.

The line starts HERE!

Ummmm..Anyone? Girls?

RATS

In all seriousness, since I'm working steady again, I'll be able to donate cash this time.

PSR
    Last edited by Raisor; 01-18-2003 at 07:02 PM.

Originally posted by Raisor
    Just for that, everyone that's made fun of my big ass birthday this week should be FORCED to pay the board 30 bucks.

Go ahead, take a shot at me, you're only helping yourself!

Phil, old.

Dude, get over it.

GAC has socks older than you are.

:evilgrin:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Dude?

As in "Dude, Where's My Socks?"

GAC has socks older than you are.

Speaking of OLD...was going over my stuff last weekend and found (opened) a commemorative Bengals 7UP 16oz glass bottle -saluting the Bengals (w/original helmet logo) and Riverfront Stadium 1970 & 1973 AFC Central Division Champions, a 1973 Cincinnati Swords schedule and a few 1973 Gemini horoscope books - all just as OLD as Raisor!!!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

There's a sequel coming out.:evilgrin:

Seriously dude, Where's my car?

Back to the topic of the thread, from the reponses I am reading I think almost all of us would be willing to donate to upgrade the board and chat room.

Does anyone have ideas on how to stabilize the chat room? Different software, etc?

You know, it just occured to me that anything short of our own server and we're in exactly the same position that we so often lament about the Reds.... a small market website.

Boss and GIK, let us take care of this for you. If you decide you want to add banner ads, then that's certainly your call. I for one agree with Creek in that I don't like them.

The quality of the content of this site is what makes it great. Personally, I would pay for a months service if Old Red Guard would just agree to post more!!!

We take pride in this place, and we may argue among ourselves a lot, but I have no doubt that there is a substantial core of regulars who will come up with the money it takes to never, ever have to go through the down time that the crashes of the past year caused.

As for the chat room issue, I believe that if more people would try out the chat room during a game, they would love it. It's the greatest sports bar I've ever been to, and I've been in a few.

Whatever you guys decide, never doubt that we're behind you and we are never going to let this place die like so many other boards before this one.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I have suggested ezboard twice now with absolutely no response whatsoever. I'm curious as to why no one here likes it?

They have a community chest set up so that those who wish to donate to a board can. You can also become an ezsupporter for $12 a year if you choose, this gives you a few extra options with your personal account and also your visits to boards to not count in their visit counts (what determines the price of the board).

I visit 2 boards on ezboard regularly one has 2300 members, the other over 17000. Yes, 17000. There have been very little problems. Only 2-3 times in the past several months was there an unplanned downage.

Having to check on the business and tax side of collecting donations for this site is not needed and really is a major headache. With ezboard all you have to do is pretty much show up.

Good luck with whatever you choose for the board, I like to read it but do not post often by choice. Donations are one thing, but mandatory pay sites usually fail.

Does anyone have ideas on how to stabilize the chat room? Different software, etc?
    Yes, that is an easy one. Simply have GAC take a breathelizer at the door! or cut him off after just two!

EZboard = a plethora of pop-ups. I think it would be pretty slow for the number of visitors we have.

There's hostboard - no pop-ups, but slow to load.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?