Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The entire story on our site's performence, where it's headed and everything else

Originally posted by 01Red Blooded American
    Just one more thing to think about. I know a board that when it gets more traffic than it can handle, it only lets members who have donated into the board for that time only.

For example: The Reds trade Castro for Colon. One of the mods/administators "turns a switch" and those that are paying/donated customer could only go to the site at that time. All others are diverted to a page where they could donate (via paypal) for entry into the board during peak traffic periods.
    That would certainly pave the way for an early retirement for Boss/ GIK

##Donations make perfect sense to me - I would gladly kick in some cash on a consistent basis.

## While I would hate to see the site commercialized, You'd have to think someone out there would appreciate the positive nature this board represents to the Reds and would be willing to help fund or find funding to underwrite this project. Iniviting Reds players and others within the organization to visit the site could help the plight.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Just one more thing to think about. I know a board that when it gets more traffic than it can handle, it only lets members who have donated into the board for that time only.

For example: The Reds trade Castro for Colon. One of the mods/administators "turns a switch" and those that are paying/donated customer could only go to the site at that time. All others are diverted to a page where they could donate (via paypal) for entry into the board during peak traffic periods.
    Me thinks I like this idea the best. :evilgrin:

No offense intended, but I think that would fly in the face of what this board has stood for since day one.

If there is a Reds fan out there who wants to read this board, I don't care if he pays or not. There are enough of us here who can pay the bills while the youngsters are on their way up. This board represents all that is good about being a baseball fan. It provides an opportunity for Reds fans, and baseball fans in general from all over the world to come together and share their common love.

I really hope we can keep it free to anybody who wants to read and post here, and I know that there are enough posters who love this place to pay the bills with no strings attached, and no shame directed towards anyone who can't afford to contribute.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Originally posted by SpringfieldFan
    Otherwise she must spring for two months hosting. :evilgrin:
    I could do that...as long as Boss and GIK change the name of the site to creekzone. :smokin:
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Mods, please take the time to contact phpwebhosting to see if the forum would meet their "un-metered" transfer(bandwidth) rules. It doesn't explicity name forums as off-limits. I have 2 sites hosted with these guys (both php driven) and have had no problems at all with them at all.

I'd be up front with them about storage size, bandwidth usages etc. and see if they will host you. If so, at $9.95/month they could be a saving grace.

For $9.95 a month, you get the following:

We do not place limits on your site's bandwidth (many hosts offer "unlimited" bandwidth but severely restrict the number of kbytes/second flowing out of your website). We work very hard to ensure that all of our customers bandwidth needs can be met under our $9.95/month plan, however we do have several important restrictions:

No file archives/download only sites (click the link for examples and faqs about this)

File Archives/download only:

Does this mean I can't have family photo albums, or other types of file archives?

Family photo albums, or other general purpose photo galleries are almost always fine. Our restrictions are mainly against an archive of photos, for example, of music artists, tv clips, or other types of archives that attract a large amount of traffic and cause problems for all the other users on the server.

Even the examples we just gave as being "unacceptable" can be fine as long as they do not cause exessive use of system resources. We do not have any bans on any particular files types or content.

Given your circumstances they may or may not be able to help you, but it should be worth a shot as a very low cost alternative solution.

GL

I made the suggestion early on that we make it a pay site for those who want to post. I agree with all the comments about that being against what the board has stood for, and also the problems that would be encountered with making a business and all. So I now do not think that is a good idea.

With whatever solution you come up with, keep in mind what has happened to other similiar boards, like the Astros and Mets boards that were shutdown by MLB. If I remember, one of the primary problems MLB had with those were that they were making money off a MLB team.

So the pay site, and even the sponsorship idea could run into problems from MLB legal dept. The donations I think they cannot do much about, but if you incorporate that into the site with amounts and such, that too could even cause problems. Last thing I would want to see is Redszone shutdown because MLB forces it.

Also, did you check into the St Louis Sports Forum site. Looks like they went from vBulletin to the inVision hosting and forum package. For those who do not have the link to the cards board....
    http://www.stlouissportsforum.com/forum/
    Last edited by EricDavis; 01-21-2003 at 02:10 PM.

Originally posted by RFS62
    No offense intended, but I think that would fly in the face of what this board has stood for since day one.

If there is a Reds fan out there who wants to read this board, I don't care if he pays or not. There are enough of us here who can pay the bills while the youngsters are on their way up. This board represents all that is good about being a baseball fan. It provides an opportunity for Reds fans, and baseball fans in general from all over the world to come together and share their common love.

I really hope we can keep it free to anybody who wants to read and post here, and I know that there are enough posters who love this place to pay the bills with no strings attached, and no shame directed towards anyone who can't afford to contribute.
    Listen to this man...he knows what he is talking about!

Hold you donation "drive" in Feb/March, when everybody gets their tax refund. :evilgrin:

My preference is to try the donation option for another year. I've been kicking in $15 bucks a year because that seemed fair for what was needed. To me it's important to have the board to be able to handle the volume of traffic that it's getting. I'm willing to kick in $50 bucks a year if that's what it takes to get the performance we want & need.

I do think that the volume of traffic should be appealing to some commercial enterprises for advertising, whether that be the Reds, some store(s) in Cincy that handle Reds stuff, or even ticket brokers if tickets become a hot commodity with the opening of the GAB. Perhaps that can be pursued for later. Banner advertising on the site won't bother me. Pop-up ads will.

Finally, it won't bother me one bit if the originators of this board start to make some money off of it from commercial ventures. They've created a great site, and if they can cash in on it, more power to them.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Originally posted by GAC
    tax refund
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

For what its worth...

Even though my registration date doesn't show it (it reset when we had major problems nearly 2 yrs ago and I had to reregister), I was one of the migraters from the Cincitalk board. I LOVE this site and check it approximately 15X a day. If it is baseball news it gets posted here.

Shamefully I have never donated in the past. My finances now allow me to do so. I support going the donation/paypal route. I know that in the past there was a drawing for donated prizes if you contributed. Maybe we could go that route again.

New suggestion- how about putting together and selling a "Ladies of RedsZone" calender? Tastefully done of course!:evilgrin:

I think we ought to designate a month of the mods' choosing as a "Donation Drive Month" and make it an annual event every year. Perhaps there could be some prizes offered as in the past. The thing is, most folks are willing to donate, but don't/won't think about it until it gets publicized.

As for Boss and GIK and the other powers that be, it's a hassle to continually ask for money. So if a month is designated, and we have a "sticky" reminder post that January or whichever month is "Donations" month, I think that would be much better than an informal "if you got it, send it in" plea. And Boss won't feel like a heel having to ask for finances.

As someone said earlier in the thread if 200 out of 1100+ members will each donate $10 bucks per year, that will raise about $2000, which should handle the hosting fees.

And if we raise a boatload of money, we'll just buy a share of the Reds and become a "silent" partner in the team! Somehow the word "silent" and RedsZone don't go together.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

I have a few suggestions: one that goes against current web convention.

1. limit the size of avatars to a specific width, say 60 pixels, and file size to no more than 4 k

2. prohibit photos in posts unless it enhances the post or is designated a photo post. 1000 views of a page with a 50 k photo is a big part of the problem

3. And I can't believe i am suggesting this... go to a frames site. remove the logo from the board, and put it in a top level frame. Even though it is only 11 K, we're talking about throughput. this thread alone has had over 2000 views. Having it in a top level frame means it gets called once.

I'm all for a paypal "sticky". probably the best way to raise money that doesn't require a sales staff.
    Suck it up cupcake.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Put up the Paypal sticky.

I have no problem asking people for money, in fact... well that's a story for another day.

I'd rather not go with banners or any payment besides voluntary donations. Even sponsorship comes with a price of sorts...what if we don't like what the sponsor stands for, or worse, what if they turn out to be someone we'd rather not be associated with AFTER we accept them? Anyway, just put up the button...donations will roll in or else, er, I mean you'll see.

just letting you all know that I am still alive and kicking. Even though it's just a little chilly I can sense the smell of leather and hear the faint echo of the crack of the bat somewhere out there.

Turn Off Ads?