Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you think of Tim McCarver

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like him so much that I'm more likely to watch if he's one of the commentators.

0 0%
  • I like him but his presence has no effect on my tuning into a game or staying tuned into the game.

10 11.11%
  • I don't give a frog's fatty about Tim McCarver.

9 10.00%
  • He irritates me, but not enough to affect whether I tune into a game or shut off the game.

48 53.33%
  • McCarver irritates me so much, that I avoid his games and/or shut them off because of his act.

23 25.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim McCarver

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Tim McCarver

In my unscientific observation, this guy is very polarizing. Simple poll question.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tim McCarver

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    In my unscientific observation, this guy is very polarizing. Simple poll question.

Yep. Some people hate him regular and others hate him like poison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I find Joe Buck equally as annoying as Tim McCarver. I don't remember the last time I heard the sound of a game I was watching when they were announcing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yep. Some people hate him regular and others hate him like poison.

I dislike him like poison. For me he can ruin a good baseball game, so I usually have to mute the television when he is calling a game.

His glasses make me giggle

Haven't paid much attention lately, But from previous seasons of listening, I mostly dislike his overdone explanations of the obvious stuff and the fact that many act like he's unlocking the genetic code each time he does it. Beyond that I don't care much. I usually watch games with the sound down low enough to tune it out most of the time, only turning it up when something catches my attention.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't mind McCarver. But I am one of those types of people that really don't get all upset or focused on who the announcer is. Whether it's Jeff Brantley, Joe Morgan,Steve Stewert, George Grande or whoever, I am more focused on the game than what the announcer is saying.

IMO baseball anouncers as a whole are light years better than basketball announcers. Bill Walton, Billy Packer and Dickie V just tend to irritate me. Basketball announcers just seem to be more focused on making themselves the topic of the game and not the game itself.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

High five!

He's not my favorite.

My favorite McCarver line was back in the late 80's, when he was calling a Mets game. He said that the Goodyear blimp was flying over the stadium, which was ironic, since Dwight Gooden was pitching and Gooden was having a "good year."

Not only is it painfully not clever, it also mis-uses the work "ironic."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I liked him early in his career. He's Captain Obvious now, and really gets on my nerves. Admittedly, I'm not very likely to cut him any slack these days. He takes a volume approach to humor, throws a bunch of Henny Youngmanesque crap against the wall to see what will stick. And not much does in my book.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

count the number of times he says "perhaps"...it's the latest drinking game

Tim McCarver is the father of my baby.

Decided to turn this from a poll to a soap opera.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Have never been a fan of McCarver's broadcasting abilities. He just grates on my last nerve. It isn't any one thing, just overall McCarver doesn't offer anything to me as far as baseball insights go. Joe Garagiola where are you?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

It's not looking good for FOX if this is what America thinks of McCarver. I realize that he's going to be more popular in NY than the rest of the country because he has worked for the NY teams, but I can't think that makes up for the fact that he's a liability to the rest of the viewers.
    Stick to your guns.

My 10 year old son makes fun of McCarver and Buck.

Maybe we were just spoiled by the likes of Kubek, Garagiola, Sculley, Gowdy, and Costas.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?