Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

High five!

Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

I used to do a lot of gigs with him when I lived in LA. Nice guy, great guitar player!

Err...maybe it's a different Bryan Price.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It'll be interesting if he can help convince Webb to come here, maybe on an incentive laden deal.
    My thoughts exactly. Even if AZ exercises Webb's 2010 option, there's always 2011.

Love this hire. Nice work by WJ et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    When Price was pitching coach for Lou in Seattle, he was a very strong influence in the dugout. He'd stand up to Lou when Price thought that Lou wasn't handling the pitching correctly.

That's what I remember about him anyway.
    Who did he help, who did he improve etc. Tell us something about him to give us something good to think about. What can he do to improve what the Reds have in pitching now?

When Price was pitching coach for Lou in Seattle, he was a very strong influence in the dugout. He'd stand up to Lou when Price thought that Lou wasn't handling the pitching correctly.
    He had the rep as a guy who could become a manager someday. Pretty impressive coach, folks. Says something good about the Reds that they could corral him -- whether it's $$$, the people or the pitchers -- or a combo of them -- it tells me the organization is in decent shape and, with Price aboard, getting better.

My sense is that they needed to act quickly, as there were also rumors about Price going to Florida and Houston. Even if they do little else this offseason, this is important progress.

I didn't know I was supposed to prepare a full briefing. I'll call down to the lab and have them send up a report.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The winning starts now?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bryan Pryce's Staff ERA+ by season (100 is league average, below worse, higher better)
    93 (last year in Seattle)

He left Arizona in May this season so its not in this. Still, either he has been lucky to get quality pitching staffs or he has been doing something right. Maybe a little of both.

I don't know one way or the other, but I wonder if he speaks spanish.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Hmm, sounds like this could be a good thing from what all we know right now. Hopefully we hear something more from him and more general information about his pitching philosophy soon.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I think it's a very good sign to get him this early.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's an upgrade from Pole to be sure.

But I don't know that it's anything to get too excited about.
    Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Explain.
    There's not much to explain really. What do you want to be explained?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There's not much to explain really. What do you want to be explained?
    Probably why you think its not much of an upgrade or anything to be excited about?

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/red...g-coach-00482/

Not that the past week was the best time to sight-see in Cincinnati, but for new Reds pitching coach Bryan Price, it was enough to sell him on the job.

"I didn't know a great deal about the whole situation there until I got a chance to fly up there and visit with Walt Jocketty, Dusty Baker, Bill Bavasi, Cam Bonifay and Dick Williams," Price said on Saturday. "Everyone seemed to be very consistent in their ideas and the direction for the organization. It's an impressive group of people."

Price said he's also excited about the young arms not only with the Reds - Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey and Micah Owings - but also the talent inside the organization.

"I see a lot of young talent, that's important," Price said. "There's youth in the organization, the rotation and in the bullpen. There's a good mix of power arms. And there's a lot (of talent) coming in the system. It's always nice to see kids come in the system. It says a lot about the organization. I think I came into a great situation, not waiting two or three years until the primary prospects. There are guys who are ready to become big league pitches."

Price was the pitching coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks from 2006 until May of this past season when he resigned after the firing of manager Doug Melvin. He also served as the Mariners' pitching coach from 2000 until 2005.

Price was named Baseball America's Major League Coach of the Year in 2007 with the Diamondbacks and in 2001 was named Pitching Coach of the Year by USA Today's Baseball Weekly.

Price was also featured in the book Guiding Lights: How to Mentor-and Find Life's Purpose .

"We're very excited to be able to hire someone with Bryan's background and history of success," Jocketty said in a statement released by the team.

Price replaces Dick Pole, whose contract was not renewed at the end of the season.

Price resigned in Arizona after Bob Melvin was fired in May and replaced by A.J. Hinch. He spent the rest of the season as a minor league pitching consultant for the Phillies. Price said a good relationship with a manager is essential. Price was in demand from other teams, including the Marlins, according to published reports, and said the people -- including Baker -- was what pushed him toward the Reds

"Getting a chance to Know Dusty a bit on my trip to Cincinnati, it was a big part of my decision to come to Cincinnati," Price said. "The manager-pitching coach relationship is huge, if it's not going to be a positive situation, it's not worth doing. I hadn't spent much time with him before, but I've always admired him from afar."

As the Diamondbacks' pitching coach, Price remembered watching Cueto's big-league debut early in the 2008 season.

"It was the third game of the season, a day game on a get-away day and he gave up a solo homer to Justin Upton," Price remembered when asked about Cueto's game, a seven-inning, one-hit performance. "He was terrific, what was impressive about it was the command he had of three pitches as a young guy making his debut. It's hard to find guys like that."

And that talent, as well as Volquez, Bailey and others is what Price said has him excited about working with the Reds.

"I'm a hands-on guy, I like to be involved, I like to talk about pitching and work on it," Price said. "When you have a savvy group, you feel like you just let (pitchers) do what they already know how to do. I like the mixture, it's good to have a Arthur Rhodes and Coco Cordero, real professionals, in the bullpen. There's a good makeup, the more I get to know these guys and get to know these guys and their makeup and make calls to them and get working with them, the relationships will develop. You don't just show up and people immediately trust you. I think they will learn I just want the best for them."

I don't blame fearofpop for not be exciting about the hiring of a pitching coach...because it's only the hiring of a pitching coach.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?