Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't blame fearofpop for not be exciting about the hiring of a pitching coach...because it's only the hiring of a pitching coach.
    And really, unless your particular hire has a known skill-set that can benefit the team in some special way (i.e. "good at fixing guys" or "good at mentoring young pitchers"), most of them seem pretty interchangeable anyway.

In the end, it comes down to the guys he's coaching. We'll be blaming this guy in short order if the Reds don't improve the talent on the staff anyway.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't blame fearofpop for not be exciting about the hiring of a pitching coach...because it's only the hiring of a pitching coach.
    I personally think it's a good sign and am a little bit optimistic about the future. They could have gone with someone like Power or another low cost entity, but they went with a guy with a great track record who was actually in demand by other teams. When was the last time that happened?

This is sign that the Reds are thinking about the future.

Sure, Duncan would be nice, but he's getting old and never was that great with young pitchers.

Price is young, and had a solid track record. Jocketty said he wanted someone who would be the Reds pitching coach for years, one that could establish a strong foundation for the organization.

Price seems to be that guy. We'll see.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    When Price was pitching coach for Lou in Seattle, he was a very strong influence in the dugout. He'd stand up to Lou when Price thought that Lou wasn't handling the pitching correctly.

That's what I remember about him anyway.
    If he stood up to Lou I wonder what he'll do when Dusty wants him to get Homer Bailey up in the 13th after letting his long relief guy go just 1 inning.

Seriously though, it sounds like Walt and Co. did a nice job on this one.I wonder if he will be considered as a candidate for Manager if Dusty doesn't make it through the season.

This also shows that the Reds are not going the cheap route in this hiring. That would be Ted Power. Price may not demand millions, but he was sought after by a few teams and the Reds needed to outbid them.

It also says they probably are not going to "go for it" this year. That would mean they would get Duncan. The fact that the didn't wait until he settled his situation with the Cards means they really was no "there" there in those rumors.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There's not much to explain really. What do you want to be explained?
    Your opinion. Sort of like test questions that ask "Why?"

I personally think it's a good sign and am a little bit optimistic about the future. They could have gone with someone like Power or another low cost entity, but they went with a guy with a great track record who was actually in demand by other teams. When was the last time that happened?
    I remember the Mariners had several decent young prospects back then that were highly thought of.

Joel Pineiro
    Ryan Franklin
    Dennis Stark
    Gil Meche
    Clint Nageotte

How did he do with that young promising pitching?

Didn't he have some pretty decent veteran pitchers at that time 2001-2005 Freddy, Moyer, Sele, Halama and Abbott with a solid defense behind them and a very potent offense in that big ballpark?

They had some fine years and then they had some rough times.
    2001 Scored 927 runs, Allowed 627 runs
    2002 Scored 814 runs, Allowed 699 runs
    2003 Scored 795 runs, Allowed 637 runs
    2004 Scored 698 runs, Allowed 823 runs
    2005 Scored 699 runs, Allowed 751 runs

When Price was pitching coach for Lou in Seattle, he was a very strong influence in the dugout. He'd stand up to Lou when Price thought that Lou wasn't handling the pitching correctly.

That's what I remember about him anyway.
    Price basically ran the staff. Lou was pretty much hands off when he was the Ms skipper.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Price basically ran the staff. Lou was pretty much hands off when he was the Ms skipper.
    So give us a full report on the promising good things that he brings from his past accomplishments with the M's, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I remember the Mariners had several decent young prospects back then that were highly thought of.

Joel Pineiro
    Ryan Franklin
    Dennis Stark
    Gil Meche
    Clint Nageotte

How did he do with that young promising pitching?

Didn't he have some pretty decent veteran pitchers at that time 2001-2005 Freddy, Moyer, Sele, Halama and Abbott with a solid defense behind them and a very potent offense in that big ballpark?

They had some fine years and then they had some rough times.
    2001 Scored 927 runs, Allowed 627 runs
    2002 Scored 814 runs, Allowed 699 runs
    2003 Scored 795 runs, Allowed 637 runs
    2004 Scored 698 runs, Allowed 823 runs
    2005 Scored 699 runs, Allowed 751 runs
    TINSTAAPP, Spring Fields. Too, he was able to oversee Garcia's emergence into a true upper level arm, keep Moyer chugging along, and get solid production from BOR feeders and mid-level starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    TINSTAAPP, Spring Fields. Too, he was able to oversee Garcia's emergence into a true upper level arm, keep Moyer chugging along, and get solid production from BOR feeders and mid-level starters.
    That is a good point for him, I am glad you brought that out. That is the type of info or pointers I am looking for on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And really, unless your particular hire has a known skill-set that can benefit the team in some special way (i.e. "good at fixing guys" or "good at mentoring young pitchers"), most of them seem pretty interchangeable anyway.

In the end, it comes down to the guys he's coaching. We'll be blaming this guy in short order if the Reds don't improve the talent on the staff anyway.
    We don't even really know what a pitching coach does for the Reds or Dusty. I think it's nearly impossible to formulate an argument for why this is either a good thing or a meh thing.

Its a different thing. Though he's old school and will butt heads with stats-based decisions over eyeball evaluations. That's not really going to be an issue in Cincy. So maybe it's more accurate to say a different personality/pair of eyes.

I seriously doubt we're going to see a huge transformation of caterpillars into butterflies...
    Last edited by jojo; 10-17-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Nice signing but it would be nice if the Reds gave Jacoby the boot as hitting coach.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    So give us a full report on the promising good things that he brings from his past accomplishments with the M's, would you?
    He's a pitching coach. He's got a good reputation. Hopefully he'll still have a good one when he moves on from the Reds.

Seriously he's a pitching coach.

Turn Off Ads?