Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

From what I've read about Bryan Price, including the stats I've seen today, I'm of the opinion that Price should serve the Reds very well as its new pitching coach. It tells me alot about a guy that will stand by his manager (Bob Melvin at Arizona) and when Melvin was fired, Price showed such loyalty to a manager & friend that Bryan gave up his job for a man he believed shouldn't have been let go. Very admirable. Nice to read also that WJ wanted continuity in a pitching coach. So at 47, Price can give the Reds 15 to 20 good years instructing the young pitching talent both in Cincinnati and in the minor league arms making their way to the Reds.

Don't know about everyone else but I am looking forward to seeing how the pitching staff responds to Price and the results from that. Too bad for Ted Power though. Doesn't seem to bode well for Teddy making to the Reds in this capacity. Have to think someone with another team at the major league level will be calling Power in a year or two if not sooner.

Now Walt let's work on getting a #4 hitter so Brandon Phillips can move out of that spot in the order. Not that Brandon didn't do a nice job of hitting there; he did, but I think he can be of more value hitting higher in the order: contact-wise and baserunning abilities.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Seriously he's a pitching coach.
    Good ones matter.

Interesting in that as a player Price only got as high as playing AAA for a cpl of seasons.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's a pitching coach. He's got a good reputation. Hopefully he'll still have a good one when he moves on from the Reds.

Seriously he's a pitching coach.
    Well I am looking for butterflies. You know something/someone that can blow some uplifting promise into our fan lives.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Good ones matter.
    What magnitude of impact might a pitching coach be expected to have?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

What magnitude of impact might a pitching coach be expected to have?
    Same as any good teacher -- the good ones, that is.

I'm not nearly as upset about this hiring as I thought I would be. That's got to be a good thing, right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm not nearly as upset about this hiring as I thought I would be. That's got to be a good thing, right?
    Could be a case of apathy, but, that is not your fault if conditioned into that by the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Could be a case of apathy, but, that is not your fault if conditioned into that by the Reds.
    Tell me about it. I was half expecting Walt to announce this guy as our next pitching coach:

“Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Great move! Price is a modern technician and has been successful as his track record shows. This may seem like a small room to some but it is far more valuable than adding a back up infielder.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

And now, for something completely trivial...

Bryan Price will become only the second person in history to wear that name on the back of a Reds jersey. The other went 10-6 with a 2.88 ERA and 5 CG in 21 starts for a pretty bad Reds team in 1983. Sadly, his career as a full-time starter was over by the end of the following season:

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    This also shows that the Reds are not going the cheap route in this hiring. That would be Ted Power. Price may not demand millions, but he was sought after by a few teams and the Reds needed to outbid them.

It also says they probably are not going to "go for it" this year. That would mean they would get Duncan. The fact that the didn't wait until he settled his situation with the Cards means they really was no "there" there in those rumors.
    I don't think this is any indication about going for it (or not going for it) this year. I think clearly they are thinking about the future, and it's good to see they went after a guy in demand that they're (presumably) willing to pay more for. But I think the Duncan thing probably got explored behind the scenes and probably determined it was unlikely, so they acted quickly to secure Price.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    And now, for something completely trivial...

Bryan Price will become only the second person in history to wear that name on the back of a Reds jersey. The other went 10-6 with a 2.88 ERA and 5 CG in 21 starts for a pretty bad Reds team in 1983. Sadly, his career as a full-time starter was over by the end of the following season:

Joe Price probably would have had a nice career as a starter, if not for Dick Wagner. The Reds GM in 1981 built a Reds roster with only 1 lefty pitcher, Price. This forced the manager John McNamara to put Price in the pen since every team needs at least one lefty in the pen. This was after Price went 7-3 with a mid 3 ERA his rookie season as a starter.

Price did fine as a reliever, but he never built up the arm strength necessary, and spent the rest of his career going back and forth between the pen and rotation.

We complain about our FO, but can you imagine if Jocketty built a roster with just Maloney as the sole lefty in the pen?

Price
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Well I am looking for butterflies. You know something/someone that can blow some uplifting promise into our fan lives.
    Butterflies cause hurricanes you know...just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "I didn't know a great deal about the whole situation there until I got a chance to fly up there and visit with Walt Jocketty, Dusty Baker, Bill Bavasi, Cam Bonifay and Dick Williams," Price said on Saturday. "Everyone seemed to be very consistent in their ideas and the direction for the organization. It's an impressive group of people."
    Why wasnt any of the minor league guys in on this meeting? No minor league coordinator present, just saying.

Turn Off Ads?