Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Bryan Price named Pitching coach

I noticed Bob Miller's name was absent from the list of important people to impress.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Why wasnt any of the minor league guys in on this meeting? No minor league coordinator present, just saying.
    I'm hoping that Mac Jenkins is left out of every meeting they have about pitching.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Why wasnt any of the minor league guys in on this meeting? No minor league coordinator present, just saying.
    I think its pretty clear that Jocketty's inner circle is Bavasi and Bonifay. Baker was there because he's the manager and Williams is Cast's guy from the business side. I'm guessing that by the time the restructuring is done, Bavasi or Bonifay will be representing the minor league group.

I think its interesting that Jamie Quirk wasn't involved. Maybe he gets the Boot with his boy Willy T.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Nice hire. Definitely a positive move and one that could pay dividends in the dugout and on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think its pretty clear that Jocketty's inner circle is Bavasi and Bonifay. Baker was there because he's the manager and Williams is Cast's guy from the business side. I'm guessing that by the time the restructuring is done, Bavasi or Bonifay will be representing the minor league group.

I think its interesting that Jamie Quirk wasn't involved. Maybe he gets the Boot with his boy Willy T.
    With any luck.

Let's hope that Bavasi and Bonifay channel their pre-GM selves. I still hate their presence in the inner-circle.

As for Price, count me as cautiously optimistic, in that it does not appear to be a cheap fallback already-in-the-organization hire and he has a track record of success.

Frankly, I'm very surprised with this hire.

Pleasantly surprised.

Just the kind of guy we need with our young arms.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Anybody have the goods on him? What does he do well? What's his reputation? Why was he let go from the D'Backs mid-season? Any relation to the Bryan Price who's a Red Sox pitching prospect?

I'm guessing that a big reason for the choice was his age and ability to mentor our young pitchers.
    I just saw this, there's no mention of it in his soxprospects.com bio, and he's an Indians prospect now, in the Victor Martinez trade.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Bill Bavasi was there.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Who are the good pitching coaches and who are the bad ones? How can one tell the difference?

Can a pitching coach have more impact than a manager? How much teaching goes on at the major league level?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Who are the good pitching coaches and who are the bad ones? How can one tell the difference?

Can a pitching coach have more impact than a manager? How much teaching goes on at the major league level?
    I agree. It's nice to hire someone with a solid track record and who's in demand, but I seriously doubt that a pitching coach really has that much of an impact. ESPECIALLY in the bigs. The majority of the teaching and correcting of flaws goes on in the minors from what I've seen. I was actually in favor of Ted Power, as he's already developed a relationship with our young arms from the minors and many arms have developed nicely through his tutelage.

I like the fact that Pole's gone, as I couldn't stand how he waited so long before visiting the mound when his pitchers were struggling or something. Price says he's "hands on", hopefully that aspect will change and we'll see some more communication. But actual teaching...I kinda doubt it.

If our young pitching continues to progress as they have been (and most likely would regardless of the pitching coach simply due to bodies maturing and arms strengthening) then I'm sure Price will get the credit whether he made a difference or not. Who cares...just so long as the pitchers develop. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Haunted by walks

I think we've always expected too much of the pitching coach, hoping Gullett could fix whatever the cat dragged in, when really, how much coaching do you have to do if you're working with the likes of Maddox or Glavine? Still, if Cueto has to get instruction from elsewhere to turn him around, and Bailey makes a huge improvement because of something a college coach and a journeyman teammate did, then maybe there's something to it.

I think pitching & hitting coaches can have a pretty big impact in some situations - perhaps more than managers. Sometimes one or two tweaks of a swing or a delivery can make the difference in a couple of MPH, untapped power potential, improved command or harder contact. I would say there probably are a majority that maybe have very little difference between one another, but I do think there are some guys that have a huge impact on the guys they work with. Price, at least in terms of reputation, might be developing as one of those guys.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If you think that not much teaching goes on or is needed at the major league level, you are overestimating the brainpower of major league pitchers.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

A pitching coach in Texas found an extra five mph or so that Homer Bailey had lost on his fastball.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    If you think that not much teaching goes on or is needed at the major league level, you are overestimating the brainpower of major league pitchers.
    I'm arguing that fans give mlb pitching coaches too much credit/blame because for the most part they are interchangeable.

Turn Off Ads?