Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers

Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think that leaves Carl Furillo as the only star left from the Brooklyn days.
    Furillo died in 1989.
    I am sorry to learn of Duke Snider's death. I first read of his exploits as a boy when I read Roger Kahn's wonderful "The Boys of Summer." I later read Snider's autobiography "The Duke of Flatbush." I would have loved to have seen him play. He probably should have been selected the NL MVP in both 1955 and 1956.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I could have sworn Joe Black was still around, but I looked it up and he died in 2002.

I wasn't born until 62, but the fifties Brooklyn Dodgers are probably the non-Reds team I'm most familiar with. Growing up, they were legend.

This is all kind of depressing. Oh well; Sandy Koufax came up with Brooklyn in 55, so I'll count him, even though he didn't become a star until he moved west.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Furillo died in 1989.
    I am sorry to learn of Duke Snider's death. I first read of his exploits as a boy when I read Roger Kahn's wonderful "The Boys of Summer." I later read Snider's autobiography "The Duke of Flatbush." I would have loved to have seen him play. He probably should have been selected the NL MVP in both 1955 and 1956.
    I meant Erskine

Got my Carl's mixed up.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I didn't know he was still around. I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I meant Erskine

Got my Carl's mixed up.
    Erskine is still around. His chapter in "The Boys of Summer" depicted his as a particularly admirable person. His son Jimmy suffered from Down's Syndrome.
    Of the guys featured in "The boys of Summer" the only ones still living are Erskine, Andy Pakfo and George Shuba. Jackie, Campy, Pee Wee, the Duke, Hodges, Cox, Furillo, Roe, Labine are all gone. Don Newcombe is still alive and was a prominent member of the Brooklyn Dodgers but doesn't really appear much in Kahn's book because the two years it focuses on, 1952-53, were the years Nemcombe was in military service.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 02-28-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Another legend has passed away. R.I.P. Duke Snider
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Erskine is still around. His chapter in "The Boys of Summer" depicted his as a particularly admirable person. His son Jimmy suffered from Down's Syndrome.
    Of the guys featured in "The boys of Summer" the only ones still living are Erskine, Andy Pakfo and George Shuba. Jackie, Campy, Pee Wee, the Duke, Hodges, Cox, Furillo, Roe, Labine are all gone. Don Newcombe is still alive and was a prominent member of the Brooklyn Dodgers but doesn't really appear much in Kahn's book because the two years it focuses on, 1952-53, were the years Nemcombe was in military service.
    He wasn't in "The Boys of Summer", but our own Bob Borkowski got in 9 games for the 1955 World Champs.

Bob is still hale and hearty at 85 and a handshake like a vise.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-04-2015)

I had the chance to meet Erskine a few years back at Franklin College where he gave a speech. Very interesting guy.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Don Zimmer remembers "The Duke of Flatbush".

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0401/302270085

Greg Goosen who was a utility player for a number of teams that included two teams that are no longer around anymore,the Seattle Pilots and Washington Senators. My only recollection of him is in the form of a baseball card or two in my collection. He also served as a stunt double for Gene Hackman in many of his movies.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=351&sid=2289559
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Greg Goosen who was a utility player for a number of teams that included two teams that are no longer around anymore,the Seattle Pilots and Washington Senators. My only recollection of him is in the form of a baseball card or two in my collection. He also served as a stunt double for Gene Hackman in many of his movies.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=351&sid=2289559
    A Ball Four character he was also.

They were immortalized, of course, in Jim Bouton's classic "Ball Four," a diary of his 1969 season with the Pilots -- their only season in Seattle before bolting to Milwaukee to become the Milwaukee Brewers. Goossen makes a quick appearance in Ball Four, an anecdote on page 13 in which Bouton recalls a minor-league game he played against Goossen, a catcher in those days. A ball is bunted back to the pitcher, and Goossen came running out from behind the plate, screaming, "First base! First base!" The pitcher instead threw to second, and everyone was safe.

"As Goose walked back behind the plate, looking disgusted, I shouted at him from the dugout, "Goose, he had to consider the source.''

When they are reunited as teammates in Seattle during spring training two years later, Goossen greets Bouton by saying, "Consider the source, huh?"
    "If you didn't know (he was writing a book) you had to be the biggest sap in baseball," Goossen said. "He'd pull out his notebook and start writing things down after you'd say them. Someone would ask: `What are you doing?' He'd say, `I'm writing a book.' He couldn't have been much more explicit.
    Goossen was at a bar in New York and started talking to a young woman.

"So, what do you do?" she asked.

"I'm with the Pilots," Goossen said.

"What airlines?"

"No, the Seattle Pilots. I'm a baseball player."

She gives him a long, blank stare.

"TWA," Goossen finally said, breaking the awkwardness. "Can I buy you a drink?"'
    "We got a kid here named Greg Goossen, twenty years old, and in ten years he's got a chance to be thirty." - Casey Stengel in Ball Four (Jim Bouton, Leonard Shecter, 1970, Page 284)
    Gossen caught Nolan Ryan's first ML game.

Quoted from various sources.

15. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (04-24-2014)

Gah. Double post bug. Please delete me!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Another legend has passed away. R.I.P. Duke Snider
    Good read from Posnanski....

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/27/the-duke/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Recent Cardinal Hitting coach and former A's outfielder Mitchell Page died at the very young age of 59.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-dead-at-59/1
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?