Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo, Steve Phillips really is a scumbag...

Sooo, Steve Phillips really is a scumbag...

...if you didn't already know that.

EXCLUSIVE: ESPN's Steve Phillips in foul affairEx-Met GM's dumped mistress has a 'Fatal Attraction' freakout

By JEANE MacINTOSH in Wilton, Conn., and DAN MANGAN in NY

Posted: 4:14 AM, October 21, 2009

She's not going to be ignored, Steve

ESPN analyst Steve Phillips had a fling with a 22-year-old production assistant, who, after being dumped, taunted his wife with "Fatal Attraction"-like phone calls and a letter that bragged about her sexcapades with Phillips while taking pot shots at their "loveless marriage," The Post has learned.

The former Met general manager, whose tenure with the team was rocked by admissions of infidelity, confessed to his wife and local cops that he had slept with ESPN assistant Brooke Hundley several times this past summer before dumping her.

In retaliation, the jilted young woman repeatedly phoned Phillips' wife, Marni, saying, "We both can't have him!" an explosive police report claims.

Hundley's desperate actions -- including accidentally smashing her car into a stone column while speeding away from the Phillips' home after leaving the letter -- terrified the family, according to the Wilton, Conn., police report.
    "I have extreme concerns about the health and safety of my kids and myself," Steve Phillips said in a police statement, adding that the woman became "obsessive and delusional" after he dumped her.

But Phillips, 46, declined to pursue criminal charges against Hundley, a Bristol, Conn., woman who cops learned may have used an ESPN computer to contact Phillips' 16-year-old son on Facebook while posing as a high-school classmate.

Phillips -- who admitted having multiple affairs with women while working for the Mets -- is now being sued for divorce by his 40-year-old wife, the mother of his four sons. Two months ago, Phillips deeded the family's five-bedroom, multimillion-dollar Wilton home to her.

A source told The Post Phillips has been suspended for a week by ESPN -- which hired him in 2005 as a baseball analyst -- because of the scandal.

ESPN refused to comment, and Phillips did not return calls seeking comment.

Hundley, too, refused to talk when reached by The Post last night.

The bombshell developments come 11 years after Phillips took a brief leave of absence as the Mets' GM after admitting to having sex with a team employee, Rosa Rodriguez, who sued him for sexual harassment, a case later settled out of court.

In a Wilton police report obtained by The Post, Phillips said he first met Hundley on July 13 in St. Louis when she was working as an assistant for remote-game productions for ESPN.

"Over a three-week span, I had a total of three sexual encounters with her," Phillips said in his police filing. "Those were the only times I spent any time alone with her."

He said his rejection of Hundley was "met by varying degrees of disappointment and hurt; more than was appropriate based on what the relationship was."

Then, Marni Phillips told cops, on the night of Aug. 5, she began repeatedly receiving harassing phone calls and text messages from a woman who claimed to have information about her husband.

When Marni called Phillips at work, he came home and confessed to the affair.

On Aug. 16, Marni said, Hundley left her "a detailed and very disturbing voice-mail message on my cellphone and a [text] message late that night."

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...QJwJLU4ZDXvvDO

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sooo, Steve Phillips really is a scumbag...

I'm gonna have to agree with ya, Oester. Not much of defense for Phillips.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

On the other hand, what that woman did wasn't so defensible either.

Pretty terrible situation all around.

How does cheating on your wife automatically make you a scumbag? How do we know his wife wasn't cheating on him? How do we know if she wasn't treating him like garbage? maybe his wife deserved to be cheated on. Who knows?

Cheating on someone doesn't automatically make you scum.

I think this could be a good debate... Was Steve Phillips more unsuccessful in his marriage, or as a GM? lol.

To answer Cromer, If his wife was that bad to him he should've just left her, and then it wouldn't have been cheating. If he was still with his wife, he shouldn't have cheated on her.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    How does cheating on your wife automatically make you a scumbag? How do we know his wife wasn't cheating on him? How do we know if she wasn't treating him like garbage? maybe his wife deserved to be cheated on. Who knows?

Cheating on someone doesn't automatically make you scum.
    He sounds like a repeat offender, I don't know if I'm exactly going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    He sounds like a repeat offender, I don't know if I'm exactly going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Well why didn't his wife leave him after the first time 11 years ago?

Ehh... She isn't all that. If you gonna go all out Steve shoot for Erin Andrews not some PA... Gesh.

Her Photo - http://www.news.lalate.com/pictures/hundley1.html
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Well why didn't his wife leave him after the first time 11 years ago?
    You're seriously attempting to defend the guy for cheating on his wife twice (that we know about so far)?

Amazing.

If cheating on your wife makes you a scumbag (and I wouldn't argue that point), then a not-insignificant percentage of pro athletes that sports fans idolize and line up for autographs for and cheer and buy jerseys with their names on the back are scumbags. Why do athletes seem to get a free pass but ex-gm/analysts get derided?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If cheating on your wife makes you a scumbag (and I wouldn't argue that point), then a not-insignificant percentage of pro athletes that sports fans idolize and line up for autographs for and cheer and buy jerseys with their names on the back are scumbags. Why do athletes seem to get a free pass but ex-gm/analysts get derided?
    Because we don't know about it? I guarantee you just about any athlete that comes as having cheated on his wife multiple times is going to get negative attention from the public eye.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Very unfortunate situation for his wife and kids. Curious to see if ESPN keeps him. Unless I've missed a statement from them saying otherwise, I think they'll keep him.

I'm still bitter about him bashing the Reds for drafting Josh Hamilton, so I'll hold my tongue ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...eve&id=2792089

Edit: My bad, completely forgot about them saying he'll being suspended for one week.
    Last edited by SullyGator; 10-21-2009 at 08:35 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Take it from one who knows.... cheaters always get caught
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Recovering Cubs Fan

Okay, as bad as he may have been for cheating, his little ho is the one who went public to hurt his wife and kids. What he did was weak; what she did was unconscionable.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Good point. What she's done is ridiculous. But, if he doesn't cheat in the first place, there's no hurt or public humiliation at all. It's a sad situation all around.

Turn Off Ads?