Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Heard on ESPN Radio.

I hear Manny Delcarmen a 21 yr old righty is the other player.

At A ball he was 7-8 with a 4.10 era.

Worked 136 innings, 124 hits walked 56 fanned 136. Thows in 92-93 range occasionaly 95-96 mph.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The worse part about this trade is we got prospects that are still atleast a couple years away from being in the majors.

We needed more talent in the AA level.
    Sony High Definition TV: $2000

Digitable Cabe: $50

Watching Peter Gammons "inform" on Baseball Tonight: Priceless

I think we need to relax on the Blanco talk for now. No credible agency has named the ptbnl.

I'm hoping for a Reitsma/Curtice type fleecing. At least get a MI and a power arm from A ball.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Wow.....I hate being late to these posts. I am going to say my peace even if it was already said by someone else. This is a salary dump and puts us closer to either signing someone or keeping the beloved Casey. Of any of the guys that we can move Walker is the best choice followed by the catcher situation. As for SS, yes, Larkin will only play SS, to bad he does not have the foresight to move to another position like Ripken. As for other guys playing 2nd or SS it should not be a real problem. Gookie and become like Pokey and move, Larson can do it but I think that Larson is better at 3rd and boone at SS and 2nd. Plus ther is Neifi Perez still floating around. But we have the tools to fill the spot either on the 40 man, a scrub free agent or in the minors. Without Todd the team still has plenty og Pop. As for the Red Soxs, this is subtraction by addition.

Originally posted by TRF
    I think we need to relax on the Blanco talk for now. No credible agency has named the ptbnl.

I'm hoping for a Reitsma/Curtice type fleecing. At least get a MI and a power arm from A ball.
    Thank you, let's hold off judging the trade, you know, maybe until
    1. WE know the players involved
    2. We know the players involved
    3. We know the players involved
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

We needed more talent in the AA level.
    And above.

I don't mind if there's an A-ball throw-in (and Delcarmen would be an intriguing one), but unless you're getting a bonafide top-shelf prospect then A-ball guys are too vaporous a return.

Supposedly the Sox are holding a press conference within the hour. Let's see if they mention the minor leaguers.

would the Reds possibly give a shot to Ryan Freel, recently picked up from the Devil Rays system? I would think that they would give Larson, Gookie, or others a shot there before this guy, but I don't know much about him or his past. Rotoworld has him behind Walker on the Reds Depth chart, which doesn't really mean anything, but just wanted to hear thoughts on him.

November 19th:
    Reds signed infielder Ryan Freel to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Freel's not a bad player, but the fact that he doesn't play shortstop may keep him from having a career as a utilityman. He hit .261 and stole 37 bases while splitting time between second base and the outfielder for Tampa Bay's Triple-A affiliate last season.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Reds have no room to protect more players (well, they could protect one) on the 40-man roster, so I don't think they will be named yet. OTOH, the BoSox only have 28 players on their 40-man roster, so if the PTBNLs don't need protectin', they ain't worth havin'.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

So is this the sign of flood gates to open in Redsland???? Who's next???? I wouldn't doubt even if they traded Jr. for 5 5-tool minor leaguers.

Thanks Uncle Bananas!!!!

My preditcion for the next player traded; Jason LaRue. Through arbitration he will make more than Stinnett next season, and the Reds have enough depth at catcher to absorb the loss.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

From the Reds web site:

Reds deal Walker to Red Sox
    Cincinnati gets two minor league players to be named
    By Chris Haft / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Even before their full delegations arrived at baseball's Winter Meetings in Nashville, the Cincinnati Reds and Boston Red Sox completed a trade Thursday, with Cincinnati sending second baseman Todd Walker to Boston for a pair of minor-leaguers to be named later.

Walker likely will be penciled in as Boston's starting second baseman. The Red Sox used five players at that spot in 2002: Rey Sanchez, Freddy Sanchez, Lou Merloni, Carlos Baerga and Bryant Nelson. Rey Sanchez, who received most of the playing time while starting 97 games, is a free agent.

Walker had one of his best all-around seasons this year, batting .299 with 11 home runs and 64 RBIs in 155 games for Cincinnati. But the Reds' need to trim payroll forced them to shop him around. Walker, 29, is due to earn $3.4 million next year with $450,000 in incentive bonuses and $475,000 in award bonuses.

"The Reds want to thank Todd for all of his contributions, both on and off the field," Cincinnati general manager Jim Bowden said in a statement. "He represented the organization in a first-class manner, played the game hard every day, and he will be missed."

Cincinnati acquired Walker and outfielder Robin Jennings from Colorado on July 19, 2001, for outfielder Alex Ochoa.

The identities of the players to be named probably won't be announced until after Monday's Rule 5 draft.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    I'll wait to hear the prospects involved. I believe that Walker had good trade value. The 2ndbaseman for the Reds in 2003 will be someone who's not now with the team. Maybe Sanchez. Maybe Belliard. Just because everyone knew that the Reds wanted to move a salary doesn't hamper Bowden much. He had many choices to move, so no one could really give him a take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum. Walker may have had a career year in 2002, so Bowden is certainly moving him at the right time. I sure hope he got his replacement at the same time.

Who cares about the prospects, it is the salary that counts. We have 3 million dollars we can use now. Look at the Rotoworl d assessment. Walker was not going to take us to the promised land and we were paying out the nose for a performance that we can cheaper from some place else. Marion Duncan didn't set the NL on fire in 90 and we somehow won the world series. For teams like the Reds it is about making wise moves. Teams like the Red Soxs and the Cubs throw around money an do not build a franchise. Walker is a waste to them because they do not need him. As for the PTNL, who cares where they are starting at or who they are, but the Reds need to take a chance on guys, you build a farm system and if only one or two guys come out, you made a good deal. These guys may not pan out, but this is talent and we can develop and if it flops it flops, but 1 out of ten is what the Reds need. This is fine trade and not a white flag, we will not miss Walker and once hte season starts we will not even know this occured.

If the Reds get Freddie Sanchez out of this deal for Todd Walker, it is a major coup. The Reds get a young player to either play shortstop or second base while clearing 3 million off the payroll for next season and possibly create more breathing room to acquire a frontline pitcher.

At least Junior and Casey are still Reds at this point.

I think this is the first of several deals to come.

Originally posted by guernsey
    The identities of the players to be named probably won't be announced until after Monday's Rule 5 draft.

Uuuuggghhh.....wait till Monday????

Turn Off Ads?