Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Heard on ESPN Radio.

I'd be surprised if we got Sanchez. Everybody knows that Bowden has been ordered to reduce payroll. He has no leverage. My expectations for return are low.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Casey is infintely MORE replacebale than Todd Walker.

Boone next? Oh please, please, please!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Out with the old...

I'll say this about Walker - he seemed to get completely locked in at the plate a couple of times a season. For 2 to 3 weeks, it seemed like he hit anything and everything they threw him.

"scuba, source please"

Well, that is what they're saying on the Boston fourms.

I'll be write back with a link.
    Sony High Definition TV: $2000

Digitable Cabe: $50

Watching Peter Gammons "inform" on Baseball Tonight: Priceless

If this keeps Sean a Red, then it's a great trade. I think it sure helps.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

It's not Sanchez. Not for one year of Todd Walker. What this does is allow them to include Sanchez in a bigger deal for a pitcher or first baseman.

No, these are minor leaguer to be named later for a reason. My guess is they'll be guys who aren't protected from the Rule V draft, and thus they can't be named until after the Rule V draft.

Who is Blanco, by the way? Anyone have any info on him?

Boston's Forum

Plus, here is a quote out of an article...

With Blanco gone, Hillenbrand being peddled for anyone with more walks on his resume, and whispers of Nomar's availability, I fear that the Sabermetricians in the Red Sox front office are about to pull a "Newt Gingrich in 1994" over-reach.

OBP Uber Alles has come to Boston. I hope they know what they're doing. I see a LOT of people misinterpreting a very specific skill set that was/is possessed by Derek Jeter, Chuck Knoblauch, Paul O'Neil and Tino Martinez as "taking pitches," rather than "fouling off tough pitches."
    Good enough for you?

I knew that Walker was going t be history when they announced that Larson was going to learn 2B, and that Walker would be a FA after this season.

I'll have to wait and see who we get before any evaluation can be made. But it may not be a bad deal.

Do they have any more Chris Reitsmas? If so, we'll gladly take 'em all of the Red Sox hands.

I'll give JimBo credit - he's dealing with the 28 year-old GM in Beantown. Sounds like as good a candidate as any to try and fleece. Get 'em while he's still wet behind the ears...

Tony Blanco, 3B Sarasota Red Sox.(A)

AB H AVG HR RBI SB R CS 2B 3B BB K E
    244 54 .221 6 32 2 22 0 13 2 6 70 30

YIKES. I don't like him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Tony Blanco, 2002, High A Sarasota, 3B

.221, .250, .365, 30 errors in 60 games.

He was Boston's #2 rated prospect a year ago. Here's what BA said:

2. Tony Blanco, 3b

Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 176. Signed: Dominican Republic, 1998. Signed by:Levy Ochoa.

Background:Blanco set the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League home run record in his U.S.ndebut in 2000. He continued to show power last season despite bursitis in his right shoulder,nwhich forced him to split time between third base and DH before he had arthroscopicnsurgery in August. The Red Sox named him their player of the year at low Class A Augusta.

Strengths:Blanco has a quick bat that makes him a threat to go deep at any time and allows him to hit for average. He held his own in the South Atlantic League as a teenager despite his shoulder problems. Defensively, he has a strong arm, good body control and some quickness.

Weaknesses:Overly aggressive at the plate, Blanco will have to show better discipline against more advanced pitchers. Though managers named him the best defensive third baseman in the SAL, he needs a quicker first step and smoother footwork.

The Future:Blanco took things slowly in instructional league but should be healthy by spring training. Third base is the Red Sox’ weakest offensive position, though they’ll have to wait two or three years before Blanco is ready. He’ll move up to high Class A in 2002.

---------------------------------------------------

IMO if this is the main guy the Reds got for Walker, it's a craven salary dump.

First off, let's not take what we read in other forums as the real deal (not saying it's not true, but we all know what gets posted in fan forums :evilgrin: ).

More important, is this a sign of things to come this weekend? Is Jimbo reading to break the silence of the offseason and bring home some finds from Nashville?
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

"Sounds like as good a candidate as any to try and fleece."

I'd wager anything that it would be Epstein doing the fleecing.

But the point is moot, this is a salary dump; nothing more. I don't see any "toldyaso's" coming out of this exchange.

P.S. Brandon Larson isn't a second baseman.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

With the arrival of Blanco (who is really good prospect, just had a bad season), what happens to Edwin Encarnacion?

I remember hearing he is learning a new postion, but don't really remember.

Can someone help me out here?

Turn Off Ads?