Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Heard on ESPN Radio.

Agree that Larue might be the next to go. Also, believe there will be one or two more of this nature, none involving Junior. If JB can put a couple of these salary dumps together (is anyone on here really questioning the motive of this move???), my bet is Junior remains in Cincinnati.

So which would you rather see:

a. dump Walker, Larue and either Sully or White
    b. trade Griffey

I know what my answer is.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    By the time Monday rolls around, we could forget about these prospects to be named if this is an indication that Bowden is going to be smokin this weekend in deals.

Originally posted by haassolo
    This is fine trade and not a white flag, we will not miss Walker and once hte season starts we will not even know this occured.
    I would like this statement to be true. But, until I see who Walker's replacement is, I somehow doubt it. Walker was a very good player for the Reds last year. He improved defensively and offensively and was a good team player that came through with a lot of clutch hits in meaningful games. That isn't easily replaced. It can be replaced, but not easily.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

More from Rotoworld.

Red Sox acquired second baseman Todd Walker from the Reds for two players to be named.
    Spending $3.4 million on a platoon second baseman just isn't a good idea for Boston, but it's unlikely that they gave up much to get Walker away from the Reds. To replace Walker, Cincinnati could switch Aaron Boone to second base and use Brandon Larson as their third baseman next season, giving Russell Branyan a chance to compete with Larson once he's healthy. The Reds could also pick up one of the inexpensive second basemen about to be non-tendered -- Carlos Febles or Ronnie Belliard -- or try to acquire Marcus Giles from the Braves.

I like the Marcus Giles idea. Put me down for that one. If we get Giles, I retract my previous post. I would forget about Walker on opening day.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Walker is easily replaced both defensively and offensively. His humber are not that impressive for his price and can be duplicated both through other players and additional support from the team

if they're waiting until after Rule V, then either there's a player that the BoSox might lose in that draft (hard to believe-- BoSox are terrible) or it's a player currently on Sox 40 man roster

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/te...ub_context=mlb

Casey Fossum, anyone?

Originally posted by princeton

Casey Fossum, anyone?
    I wish, but I'm not holding my breath.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Speak for yourself, haasslo.

I, for one, WILL miss Todd Walker a lot. He hustled his butt off, played well for the Reds last season, and was rapidly becoming one of my favorites. I was hoping he'd improve even more in 2003 and help the Reds out even more.

I will hate seeing you in a Red Sox uni, Todd. And I will miss you.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 12-12-2002 at 08:25 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

All dyslexics must untie!
    "To replace Walker, Cincinnati could switch Aaron Boone to second base and use Brandon Larson as their third baseman next season"

Aaron Boone = tall rangey 2nd baseman, similar to Bobby Grich, or...Ronnie Oester
    Never overlook the obvious

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    I'm hoping that the fact that this trade was done early is a sign that Bowed did well. If it was simply a salary dump, surely Walker was attractive enough that Bowden did not have to jump at the 1st offer. There's a few teams like the BoSox, San Diego, San Fran who needed a 2ndbaseman, so Bowden has a few options. I'm hoping he got Sanchez, but....???

I am beginning to wonder if we are all watching the same sport. Why will Walker be soooo easy to replace? Who is his replacement?

walker ranked in the NL top 8 for 2B's in:

Average: 7th
    OBP: 8th
    RBI: 4th
    Games: 1st
    Hits: 4th
    Runs: 7th
    AB's: 3rd
    Doubles: 3rd
    Walks: 8th
    OPS: 6th

Fielding PCT (amongst starters): 2nd
    DP's: 6th
    Errors (8): 2nd

First you guys underrate Haynes, now Walker won't be missed

He is going to be missed a TON.....And I for one and rather disappointed in Bowden and this organization for dumping one of the LOWER paid players for no good reason. So the Reds save 3 mill.....do you really think that money goes to better players? No, it just goes to make Carl a few extra interest dollars in his SEP.

If Larson is NOT a 2B, then who plays 2B for 154 games like Walker did and nearly leads the league in fielding PCT and leads the Reds in BA? Who? I am open to suggestions.

All dyslexics must untie!
    I thought Austin Kearns led the 2002 Reds in BA
    Never overlook the obvious

The Winter Meetings haven't officially gotten underway yet. So, Bowden fires the first shot. It won't be the last. Let's wait till the smoke clears come next Wednesday.

Walker does leave a rather large hole in this lineup, and the PTBNL's either need to be ready themselves or allow someone to be brought in who can do the job. Larson's bat appeals to me but going into the season with him as a 2B is kind of iffy.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

First you guys underrate Haynes, now Walker won't be missed
    Perhaps it's you who overrate them?

Nah.....

Turn Off Ads?