Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Heard on ESPN Radio.

RILA....

I agree completely with you. How do we NOT miss Walker? I'm praying that we get a solid 2b sometime during this offseason. Walker was absolutely clutch last year and it seemed when Casey, Boone, and A-Bomb were slumping, there is T- Walker and his usual solid self. I, along with RILA, will greatly miss him. I will hold judgement until I see what else Bowden does, but I'm going to miss Walker. Giles would help soften the blow, though. Living down here in Brave-central (Greenville, SC), people are pretty high on the guy. He looked quite solid last year...we can hope, right?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Killer argument WOY

I knew it MUST be me who was wrong!

One thing for sure about this trade is, it will NOT help the Reds out in 2003.

Infact, not only does it make them worse, it makes the situation now very cloudy.

Up to me, I swing a deal with Toronto and get Felipe Lopez, the young shortstop.

Keep Aaron at third, and make Larson the 2nd baseman.

But one thing for sure, right now, everything looks like a complete mess.
    Sony High Definition TV: $2000

Digitable Cabe: $50

Watching Peter Gammons "inform" on Baseball Tonight: Priceless

While maybe Boone or Larson could be the opening day 2B, chances are the Reds still have to bring someone into the organization to perform the job. If Sanchez comes over from the Red Sox then that mission is accomplished.

To my mind, it still makes little sense that the Reds would trade Walker to the Sox and not get back the Sox's AAA 2B who suddenly finds his route to the bigs blocked.

And I wonder if the PTBNLs will wait until after Monday because the Sox are holding someone on their 40-man roster for the Reds? Boston only has 28 guys on its protected list. The Reds have 38. Boston may be acting as Cincinnati's reserve storage facility. JimBo loves pulling moves like that.

Originally posted by M2

To my mind, it still makes little sense that the Reds would trade Walker to the Sox and not get back the Sox's AAA 2B who suddenly finds his route to the bigs blocked.

Sanchez is not blocked in their system. The Red Sox simply acquired Walker to play on the major league team to give Sanchez another year to develop. Todd will leave Boston after next year via F.A. and Sanchez will take over in 2004.

Because CIncinnati needed to dump payroll, and because Boston agreed to take the contract for one year and has no use for him after that, I'm not looking for the Reds to get much of anything in return. Although, if Blanco is one of the minor leaguers, he does have a very high ceiling, he's just coming back from shoulder problems and needs to show a little more plate discipline. From what I've heard, he has tremendous power.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 12-12-2002 at 06:38 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

On the otherhand, I could see Bowden holding out for Sanchez in th deal for Walker. Sanchez could play either second or shortstop.

Time will tell who the two prospects are. But even though it might be a salary dump, I do think Bowden will get value in the two prospects whoever they are.

First off - I loved Walker, but if anyone had to be a salary Dump I'm glad it was Walker. I think this gives Larson a shot at playing and Larkin may move to 2nd. Not sure how they will work this.
    It allows us to keep Griffey and Casey and I think they give us the biggest upside. If Casey doesn't work he will surly be dumped next season before the really big payday. If a deal was done this is it for me. Hope we get someone with potential.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar
    I'm trying to keep an open-mind about this trade (whereas, if it had been Griffey for Nevin, frankly, there is no way I could have kept an open mind).

My initial reaction is that this is not such a bad trade. Even though it's just A ball prospects in return, I don't think it hurts the Reds next year as badly as, say, losing Casey. I would rather have Larson's bat in the line-up on a full-time basis than Walker's. I think you move Boone to 2B and keep Larson at 3B with Branyan as a filler starting in May. If you're going to keep Gookie and Castro, there's going to be quite a few late innings defensive switches.

A couple more thoughts:

- Blanco was injured for a good portion of the year as a 19 year old in high A. He's better than what his stats show and the reports we're hearing now.

- I expect Larkin to have a much better year. I don't think he's washed up. I just think he had an off year. I have no problem with him leading off.

- I would really like to see Belliard or Febles in a Reds uniform next season after coming off sub-par performances, the price is sure to right. Good insurance.

Walker was my favorite Red last year, possibly except for Kearns. Of course, Walker makes too much contact to stay a Red.

The whole team is very unsettled now. The infield is a mess. Nobody knows who will play and where. Casey and Griffey are on the block. The catching is completely inadequate. The most settled part of the team, believe it or not, is the starting rotation which is fair.

I hope I feel differently after the next few days. But I expected more going into a new park.

One note: why trade Walker before the Rule V draft for players who can't be named yet? Why not wait? Probably to clear some roster space for more deals. Hopefully not salary dumps.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Uh, I'll have to agree with those that are saying that this trade is gonna stink big-time.

Walker was a player. He won't be easily replaced.

Lindner/Allen suck, eternally.

I predict:

(1) Griffey traded to Seattle for Bret Boone.

(2) Aaron moves to short.

(3) Come spring training, third base is Matt Boone's to lose.

Originally posted by Crash Davis

- I would really like to see Belliard or Febles in a Reds uniform next season after coming off sub-par performances, the price is sure to right. Good insurance.
    Febles, Belliard, and Giles are all Jim Bowden favorites and all are pretty much available. I can't imagine JimBo not taking a stab at least 1 of them. I don't think he has the self discipline not to.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RL, Sanchez is 24. Seems to me if the Sox won't play him now, chances are low they view him as a future option -- or at least as Option A. Boston can always extend Walker's deal or find someone else to plug that hole. They have money. They don't have to reflexively hold onto a minor leaguer about whom they're clearly lukewarm.

Originally posted by malcontent
    Uh, I'll have to agree with those that are saying that this trade is gonna stink big-time.

Walker was a player. He won't be easily replaced.

Lindner/Allen suck, eternally.

I predict:

(1) Griffey traded to Seattle for Bret Boone.

(2) Aaron moves to short.

(3) Come spring training, third base is Matt Boone's to lose.
    LMAO.

Ummmm, no I'm not. This is probably exactly what will happen.:mad: :mad: :mad:
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I will miss Walker. I thought he did a great job for the ballclub last season. His offensive production may be hard to replace. One thing that I do hope is that with Walker leaving, the Reds replace him with a righthanded bat. The batting order last season was way too lefthanded.

It's obvious that the Reds could only afford at the most one more season out of Walker, but it's also obvious he'll be more difficult to replace than let's say Casey, for example. At the big league level there are only Larkin and Aaron who have been starters up the middle, but you can throw darts at the roster and could hit the names of several who have played or who could play 1B, at least serviceably: Larson, Branyon, Dunn, Griffey, Aaron, Larkin, LaRue.

Turn Off Ads?