Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit on the deal from Jason Stark:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark...n/1477492.html

At one point or another, the A's had potential deals cooked up with the Giants, Braves, Expos, Blue Jays and Reds that all ended with Durazo winding up in the 510 area code. But finally, on Sunday, the pieces came together.

"We knew a long time ago that (Arizona GM) Joe (Garagiola Jr.) and I didn't have a direct match," Beane said. "So a couple of weeks ago, I said, 'Listen, Joe, give me a list of (pitchers) I can go out and get. And I'll see if I can get them.'"

Beane tried, at various junctures, to trade for Russ Ortiz, Javier Vazquez, Damian Moss and Dessens. He had a four-way deal centering around Dessens that was all but done Friday -- until the Diamondbacks decided they needed some time to see if they could deal for Vazquez on their own.
    Boss

Originally posted by whatafool
    If the reds use the savings to bring in an ace then fine.
    It dang well better be Schilling and Johnson for all the savings they are racking up.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I like the trade.

We get our SS of the future, and unload Dessens.

Despite his 2002 numbers, Dessens IS NOT a guy who I consider a #1 or #2 starter. I think he had a career year in 2002, and would have receive too much in arbitration to warrant keeping. I agree with Rob Neyer. Dessens would not come close to repeating his 2002 numbers.

What I really wish is that Larkin would move to 2B and let Lopez take over SS so the kid can concentrate on hitting and not learning a new position.

Two years from now, this will turn out to be a GREAT trade. I think it will be a POSITIVE trade this year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I can't say I am thrilled with this trade, but I am somewhat optimistic. Dessens probably had a career year and isn't to irreplacable. You can only hope Jimbo isn't done yet.

I'm slightly to the plus side on this trade. Elmer made that #3 hole solid in the rotation. And/but, he probably had his career year even though it didn't translate to absolute wins.

If Lopez can fill the Walker hole and the money saved in both these deals gets translated into a #1 or #2 pitcher for '03, the Reds are ahead for the year. Past '03 they're likely ahead over the long-term.

If the Reds only kicked in .333K, I'm not too unhappy. (Although the fact that the D'backs needed even this minscule amount from the other teams makes you wonder about how desperate their finances are!)

Rem

From Rotoworld:

Erubiel Durazo - 1B - Arizona Diamondbacks Dec 15

The Blue Jays, A's, Reds and Diamondbacks have discussed a four-team trade, but a deal isn't close to taking place. The trade is believed to have the Reds receiving Felipe Lopez from Toronto, the Blue Jays picking up prospects John Ford Griffin and Jason Arnold from Oakland, the A's acquiring Erubiel Durazo for Arizona and the Diamondbacks getting Reds right-hander Elmer Dessens. Whether this deal happens or not, it appears very likely that Durazo will be traded, probably to Oakland or Montreal. The Red Sox seem out of the running.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

From Jayson Stark:

A four-teamer could involve the Reds and Blue Jays. In that scenario, Oakland would get Durazo, Arizona would wind up with Reds pitcher Elmer Dessens. And Toronto would get Oakland prospects Jason Arnold and John Ford-Griffin.
    So who do the Reds gets from the Jays? Felipe Lopez?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark...n/1476652.html

MLB Radio said the announcement is coming.
    Last edited by guernsey; 12-15-2002 at 05:35 PM.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

From Rob Neyer:

Dec. 15
    It took him a couple of years, but Billy Beane finally got his man.

Even before Jason Giambi went for Steinbrenner's millions, Beane salivated at the prospect of acquiring Erubiel Durazo to DH and eventually take over at first base. And now, after a year of Scott Hatteberg and his .433 slugging percentage, Beane fhas Durazo and his .528 career slugging percentage in the lineup.

For the Athletics, though, the question will be how often Durazo is actually in the lineup. The big slugger set a career high last season in at-bats ... with 222. In giving up two of their better prospects, the A's hope that Durazo can stay off the disabled list and give them at least 400 at-bats and at least 30 home runs.

Elsewhere, the Blue Jays get a couple more prospects as they continue to rebuild their farm system, the Reds get Barry Larkin's eventual replacement, and the Diamondbacks get a pitcher who posted a 3.03 ERA last season and probably won't post a sub-4.00 ERA next season.

Oh, I don't know that Lopez will match Walker offensively next season, but he will play rings around him defensively.

MLB Radio is reporting several sources say it is the Durazo, Dessens, Lopez, Arnold & Ford Griffith trade.

Code:
        SYRACUSE SKYCHIEFS   Individual Statistics Final Official -- 2002      W-L Record:  64- 80
                                                                                            GI             ---GAMES BY POSITION---
      BATTERS               AVG   G  AB   R   H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP  BB IB  SO  SB CS DP   SLG   OBP  1B  2B  3B  SS  OF   C  E
     #Lopez, Felipe        .318  43 173  35  55  79 11  2  3  16  1  0  1  29  1  37  13  0  3  .457  .419   0   0   0  43   0   0 16

Here's what's curious. It's a four team trade, but the Reds are making the announcement. Why? I'm guessing the Reds are involved in two trades. Trading Elmer away and getting Lopez back doesn't explain why Jared Fernandez was released. The Reds must be adding another couple of players through a second trade.

MLB Radio jsut announced that these four teams are set to announce a trade, but the player names haven't been released yet.

Originally posted by princeton
    I'm waiting for Redread to point out that had we signed Jason Arnold for $60,000 after we drafted him in 1999, we could have dealt him even up for Felipe Lopez and kept Elmer Dessens
    Nah, if the Reds had signed him he would have had TJ surgery by now.

I think you'll see a slew of deals after the Rule 5 draft today.

Turn Off Ads?