Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

From Jayson Stark:

A four-teamer could involve the Reds and Blue Jays. In that scenario, Oakland would get Durazo, Arizona would wind up with Reds pitcher Elmer Dessens. And Toronto would get Oakland prospects Jason Arnold and John Ford-Griffin.
    So who do the Reds gets from the Jays? Felipe Lopez?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark...n/1476652.html

MLB Radio said the announcement is coming.
    Last edited by guernsey; 12-15-2002 at 05:35 PM.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Intesting stuff from ESPN.

"One final Durazo rumor was a potential monster deal in which Arizona would make a run at Miguel Tejada, offering Durazo and Byung-Hyun Kim. While the A's aren't looking to trade Tejada, an official of one club said the A's are willing to be "proactive," much as they were a year before Jason Giambi's free agency, because they know there's a realistic chance they can't re-sign Tejada. So they might at least listen to the right deal. They then could move Mark Ellis from second base to shortstop, his original position, and sign Edgardo Alfonzo to play second."

With the rumored 60 Million. Why not Tejeda? I could wish.

But with the 4 team trade.. I am not sure if I like it. For once we have a solid four pitching rotation. Trading Elmer would put us back at 3 and make us wonder who would fill the next two slots. If it was indeed for Lopez, I would ponder on this situation a little more. But note, a trade of Dessens for Lopez only clears money, and Bowden said he is doing that to bring in the bigger contracts.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Toronto's pretty loaded, especially with five tool talents that Bowden would appreciate more than Ricciardi

But I really think that you'd have to blow us away to score Dessens.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Could the Reds end up with BOTH Felipe Lopez AND Orlando Hudson? Just a thought.

If Bowden could get both Lopez and Hudson, it would be a major coup. It would probably cost them Dessens and another pitcher off the 25-man roster, or a top prospect like Howington, Basham or Hall.

Now, would anyone be interested in a Griffey for Tejada deal with Oakland?

Time is the Revelator.
    Originally posted by Dan
    Could the Reds end up with BOTH Felipe Lopez AND Orlando Hudson? Just a thought.
    I doubt it. Toronto, and their fans know Lopez and Hudson is part of their fantastic build up for a championship. I would think it'd take alot to just get either one. If the Bluejays dealed both of these guys without getting something similar back (Dunn, Kearns) then there would be riots in Toronto.. yep.

From Rotoworld:

Erubiel Durazo - 1B - Arizona Diamondbacks Dec 15

The Blue Jays, A's, Reds and Diamondbacks have discussed a four-team trade, but a deal isn't close to taking place. The trade is believed to have the Reds receiving Felipe Lopez from Toronto, the Blue Jays picking up prospects John Ford Griffin and Jason Arnold from Oakland, the A's acquiring Erubiel Durazo for Arizona and the Diamondbacks getting Reds right-hander Elmer Dessens. Whether this deal happens or not, it appears very likely that Durazo will be traded, probably to Oakland or Montreal. The Red Sox seem out of the running.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

MLB Radio jsut announced that these four teams are set to announce a trade, but the player names haven't been released yet.

This is going to be a long 15 minutes.

Pitching is so short. How do we replace an Elmer ? now we are two spots short of a legitimate Staring 5 !

Wow. That would be just an AWFUL trade. AWFUL!! We lose pitching and get Pokey Reese redux in return. Holy crap!

I could understand if we got Durazo in return, but Lopez is worse than even I could have predicted.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Here's what's curious. It's a four team trade, but the Reds are making the announcement. Why? I'm guessing the Reds are involved in two trades. Trading Elmer away and getting Lopez back doesn't explain why Jared Fernandez was released. The Reds must be adding another couple of players through a second trade.

As I posted in the Larson thread, the Reds are in pretty desperate need of middle infielders. So it is worthwhile acquiring a young shortstop. Question is whether Lopez is the right young shortstop.

My guess is that Larson gets traded for Chacon who fills the Dessens rotation spot.

Lopez has popgun power, but, unlike Pokey, he's shown a fair eye at the plate.

Let's hope the Reds get something along with him, like Hudson.

MLB Radio is reporting several sources say it is the Durazo, Dessens, Lopez, Arnold & Ford Griffith trade.

Turn Off Ads?