Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

If the reds use the savings to bring in an ace then fine. If they stick it back in Lindner's pocket (and why do I think that will be the case) The deal stinks to high heaven.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by whatafool
    If the reds use the savings to bring in an ace then fine.
    It dang well better be Schilling and Johnson for all the savings they are racking up.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Why can't we all relax and see what unfolds.

We were told the payroll will increase to 60 million, if on April 1st we have a payroll of 55 million we can get pissed together.

I said it once, I will say it again, I like this trade.

Griffey30,

I agree. I like this trade...Sell High and Buy low. I liked Dessens and will miss him, but in the big picture of things, I like this trade.

Your right creek, even if we acquire a decent starter we are just back to square one. To come out ahead we will need to fine two pretty good starters. I don't see that happening. I am sorry for being so pesimistic but the FO makes ot hard to get excited about the direction of this franchise.

Kind of curious, in that the Reds keep saying, and we all know, they need pitching. I'm willing to wait and see what else transpires. I don't know a lot about Lopez, but he seems to be pretty well thought of. The Reds can use some speed, and he has it. Still, the pitching is lookin' kinda thin right now.

Another report on this guy from top prospect alert

One of the top players in the minors, the 19-year-old Lopez leads the pack in a Blue Jays system blessed with an abundance of middle infielders.

Originally a first round selection (#8 overall) in the 1998 draft, this switch-hitter spent all of 1999 at Hagerstown in the South Atlantic League, where he compiled some impresive numbers for someone his age (.277, 14 HR, 80 RBI, 27 2B 4 3B, 87 R, 61 BB, 157 SO, and 21 SB in 537 AB). However, he also did rack up the errors (32). This and the high strikeouts are common for young players so I am not too concerned over them.

At 6-foot and 175 pounds, Lopez is similar to the new wave of shortstops that are being produced. He has the strong bat which in the past you normally wouldn't see from his position. He does project to have good power, but I'm not going to put him in the Nomar Garciaparra/ Alex Rodriguez class, atleast not yet. I think, say, 20 homers per season could be possible, like what Derek Jeter has begun to do in New York the past couple of seasons. Lopez has the athletic ability, hands, and arm to be a very good fielder also.

With the likes of Tony Batista doing a very good job in Toronto, and with others like Michael Young and Cesar Izturis also one the way, the Jays really don't have to rush Lopez to the majors. He's currently at Double-A Knoxville and I think I full season there, followed by a year at Triple-A Syracuse, would probably be the best for him. If things work out, he could be a starter and eventual star right around the age of 21

I know this is old but still good reading.

How much was Elmer making?

Oh crap

just read this

As part of the deal, Cincinnati is sending cash to the Diamondbacks.

This can NOT be true, were paying the rich now??????

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1215/1477358.html

Dont like the trade. Dessens was the only reliable pitcher the Reds had(haynes couldnt last 7). I guess Larson is gone in the Rockie trade? Looks to me like the Reds are untooling than retooling. but Bowden is great so i'll let it slide(sarcastic)

Docta
    Originally posted by Griffey30
    Oh crap

just read this

As part of the deal, Cincinnati is sending cash to the Diamondbacks.
    good lord! if we get no one of substance added to this team by spring training i will be pissed

Well you can't expect Arizona to take our best pitcher for the past three years for free ofcourse jimbo will throw in cash!

So that is where our payroll increase is going to the Diamondbacks. PERFECT!

I wish Jumbo was in my Roto league I would play him like a fool.

Cincy also sends cash to Toronto -

So Lopez at short, where is Mr. Larkin?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Well, apparently, the Reds are TALKING (not trading, but talking to) the Expos about either Vasquez or Colon.

Just wait and see I guess.

Don't get your hopes up!
    Sony High Definition TV: $2000

Digitable Cabe: $50

Watching Peter Gammons "inform" on Baseball Tonight: Priceless

Not sure the Reds have enough in the cupboard to get either one of those guys.

Unless of course you don't mind seeing Dunn in Canada.

Turn Off Ads?