Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

Good to hear from you Red Storm!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Missed you Red Storm and your posts. Wish you would post more on the site.

I'm slightly to the plus side on this trade. Elmer made that #3 hole solid in the rotation. And/but, he probably had his career year even though it didn't translate to absolute wins.

If Lopez can fill the Walker hole and the money saved in both these deals gets translated into a #1 or #2 pitcher for '03, the Reds are ahead for the year. Past '03 they're likely ahead over the long-term.

If the Reds only kicked in .333K, I'm not too unhappy. (Although the fact that the D'backs needed even this minscule amount from the other teams makes you wonder about how desperate their finances are!)

Rem

WOW!!!!!!!! Stormy, I hope this is a permanent return to the fold. Great to hear from you. The offseason has weeded out most of the chaff.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't mind this trade. I didn't mind the Walker trade. I AM, however, worried about us re-signing Hamilton, Rijo, and Haynes. They're all pretty much done, and signing those three is just another huge example of penny-pinching. Hopefully, there will be some more deals to come.

"So Fla Red"
    Mark me down as happy with the trade. Sell high, buy low.

I liked Dessens, but not as much at $4M in 2003 and say $6M in 2004 in arbitration. Elmer is a great 6IP, but not the kind of guy you want being your #2 starter in the postseason run.

Lopez could be huge for the Reds with a desperate need for middle IF with superstar potential. Having Larkin as a mentor for 2003 could be a major bonus.

I have to think another deal is coming for a SP. If Jimbo could swing a Vasquez/Armas from the Expos without giving up Kearns/Dunn/Lopez/Basham we are looking good!

Stormy -- Welcome back!

"So Fla Red"
    Originally posted by WVRedsFan
    I get this feeling that the main objective John Allen has given Bowden is to use that $60 million as frugally as possible. ThusNUTS!
    Yes, that is exactly what a GM should be doing. Spending every bit of the $60M budget like its your last round of ammo.

Walker and Dessens clear out $7-8M in 2003 and we fill a desperate middle infield need long term. These two deals are only the beginning of a flurry of activity from Jimbo. He's armed with some cash for the first time ever, sportin' the leather pants and looking for action!

Stormy -- Welcome back!
    Life is good again.

If Lopez is going to be tagged as the SS of the future, he needs to be the SS of the present at well. Need to see what we have defensively. But I have huge doubts that we'll see Lark move over.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Red Storm
    Not only a great trade for the present and future, but the precursor to what appears to be even more imminent improvements.
    Welcome back, my friend. And you are spot on...as usual.

Actually I think having Lopez play 2nd this year is better.

I don't think it will be a difficult switch for him. It will take a lot of pressure of the kid much like it did for Pokey.

I believe it would be a very difficult switch, you do something for 30 years then try and make a switch.

jml
    Im not convinced this is a good deal for us just yet. While the payroll cuts are good I hate to see another solid arm go. I sure hope Jimbo has something in the works cause if he dosent this is going to go down as a very dissapointing offseason........time will tell.

I can't say I am thrilled with this trade, but I am somewhat optimistic. Dessens probably had a career year and isn't to irreplacable. You can only hope Jimbo isn't done yet.

The trade weakens pitching. It also weakens offense. Walker is a solid hitter. Lopez someday may hit, but didn't hit in the majors last year. This means, for awhile, Larue and Lopez at the bottom of the order and Larkin at the top. Reds better add some players who can hit and pitch.

Put me down as strongly in favor of the deal.Felipe

Lopez gives us a young , highly thought of ss/2b. He was drafted #8 overall in 1998 , same year as Dunn and Kearns. He is the same age as them and came to the majors in 2001 like Adam Dunn did.

He has speed stole 13 of 13 bases in AAA before going up to Toronto in 2002 there he was only 5 of 9 in steals. Has some pop 8 homers 282 big league at bats last season.

His glove and arm are well above average.

He needs more plate discipline but then again most 22-23 year old do.

I believe his upside is such that in 2 years , people in baseball will be saying can you believe the Reds got Felipe Lopez and all it cost them was Elmer Dessens and some money.

Turn Off Ads?