Jocketty gearing up for offseason activity
Roster and contract decisions loom for Reds GM CINCINNATI -- With the organizational meetings completed last week in Arizona, the Reds front office has maintained a low profile but kept busy.
General manager Walt Jocketty is working on non-headline producing items -- like administrative stuff and budgets. But some more significant decisions will be looming closer as the postseason winds down.
Among them is the setting on the 40-man roster, which must be turned in by Nov. 20.
"We're in the process on developing a plan," Jocketty said. "We have a number of players to protect on our 40-man roster, which means we have a lot of tough decisions on guys to keep on the roster or not."
Players drafted and signed at age 19 or older get four years in the Minors before they have to be protected on a 40-man roster. The wait is five years for players taken at 18 or younger.
Top prospects like outfielder Chris Heisey, shortstop Chris Valaika and left-handed pitcher Travis Wood are among players that will need to be protected on the roster next month. Infielder Todd Frazier, selected out of college in 2007, has one more year before he requires protection.
Jocketty indicated nothing has changed in the Reds' shortstop situation. Paul Janish got a lengthy audition after the Aug. 14 trade of Alex Gonzalez but wasn't named to the regular job. Also unsettled is the team's outfield and catching situation.
No official decision has been made on whether to pick up catcher Ramon Hernandez's $8.5 million club option with a $1 million buyout.
"We just have to talk to clubs and see what's available," Jocketty said. "I don't expect a lot to happen until after the World Series and into the GM meetings and Winter Meetings."
Although a reshuffling was speculated, the Reds plan no changes in any of the front office roles, Jocketty said.