Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Jocketty gearing up for offseason activity"

"Jocketty gearing up for offseason activity"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Jocketty gearing up for offseason activity"

Sorry, I couldn't resist after that headline.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

Jocketty gearing up for offseason activity
    Roster and contract decisions loom for Reds GM CINCINNATI -- With the organizational meetings completed last week in Arizona, the Reds front office has maintained a low profile but kept busy.

General manager Walt Jocketty is working on non-headline producing items -- like administrative stuff and budgets. But some more significant decisions will be looming closer as the postseason winds down.

Among them is the setting on the 40-man roster, which must be turned in by Nov. 20.

"We're in the process on developing a plan," Jocketty said. "We have a number of players to protect on our 40-man roster, which means we have a lot of tough decisions on guys to keep on the roster or not."

Players drafted and signed at age 19 or older get four years in the Minors before they have to be protected on a 40-man roster. The wait is five years for players taken at 18 or younger.

Top prospects like outfielder Chris Heisey, shortstop Chris Valaika and left-handed pitcher Travis Wood are among players that will need to be protected on the roster next month. Infielder Todd Frazier, selected out of college in 2007, has one more year before he requires protection.

Jocketty indicated nothing has changed in the Reds' shortstop situation. Paul Janish got a lengthy audition after the Aug. 14 trade of Alex Gonzalez but wasn't named to the regular job. Also unsettled is the team's outfield and catching situation.

No official decision has been made on whether to pick up catcher Ramon Hernandez's $8.5 million club option with a $1 million buyout.

"We just have to talk to clubs and see what's available," Jocketty said. "I don't expect a lot to happen until after the World Series and into the GM meetings and Winter Meetings."

Although a reshuffling was speculated, the Reds plan no changes in any of the front office roles, Jocketty said.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

"We just have to talk to clubs and see what's available," Jocketty said. "I don't expect a lot to happen until after the World Series and into the GM meetings and Winter Meetings."
    Walt don't forget traditional Reds organizational favorites, KMart, Big Lots, and EBAY for that springtime filler and fodder look.

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

You guys are making me laugh.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sorta like a one legged man in an a__ kicking contest....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0wRJjXvyZ1...0-h/knoght.JPG
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-02-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Guess that photo won't allow hotlinking...
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?