Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

ERF...personally, I like Acevedo in the #5 hole...gives us a solid starting 5. Granted no overwhelming #1 or #2 for that matter, but solid top to bottom...either way, our rotation looks a ton better than it did last year going into ST...and didn't we hold onto first for a few days with that? Not to mention, could we have hit ANY worse with RISP??? I really (call it Red colored glasses or not, but...) I like our team as is. Sure I'd love to see Colon or Vasquez or even Penny for the right price, but we sure could be worse off heading into ST, no?

I agree, we could be worse.

But I dont think Acevedo would be #5... Personally i'd go with Reitsma.... But with an addition of one of the ppl i mentioned i think our team could do a lot better. But we looked better than we did last year thats for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by EmtyRedsFan
    As usual i got here later and there is no way im going to read all these pages.... But im going to add my opinion to the mix...tell me what you think.
    I just love this-- "I don't have time to read yours, but you have to read mine"

didn't I work with you in my last job?

princeton,

You dont have to be a jerk...

There are were 3 pages of replies and opinions, most are the same. I didnt tell any1 they had to read my posts, its a choice.
    So cut the crap. Dont be a jerk all your life nobody was bothering you.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Raisor: I agree that it's a bit much to peg this guy as a 20 game winner. Support Neutral win/loss is IMO one of the more relevant and useful of all the geeky stats out there. But a support record of 10-12 isn't awful for a guy who was abused by his manager. Catch my pitch count post on page 3 for what I mean by abuse. I'm not asking for a 20-2 record, but I'd be fine with a 14-10 for his salary. And I think that's attainable.

If Boone can keep the pitch counts down, he'll make 33 starts instead of 30. He'll also be less fatigued and will have better stuff.

He's always going to be vulnerable to good lefty hitters but he's a very solid middle of the rotation guy, if used properly. Who knows, maybe Gullett can work his magic and make him significantly better than that.
    Stick to your guns.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by EmtyRedsFan
    princeton,

There are were 3 pages of replies and opinions, most are the same.
    If you didn't read them, how would you know this???????

And how would you know you weren't repeating others?

If you didn't read them, how would you know this???????
    I meant to say............. there were 3 pages of replies and opinions, most probably the same.

And who honeslty cares what i say?

I've been thinking about this all day and considering how this affects the team. If you ask me if the Reds are better off this year going into spring training over last year, I'd say, "Yes. We are better off." Am I bowled over? No.

Wilson is a SLIGHT - VERY SLIGHT - upgrade over Dessens. I felt Elmer had a career year last year and probably will never come close to that kind of ERA again. (Although I'm convinced that he'll pitch like Cy Young against the Reds). If you put these guys side by side, I would probably pick Wilson over Dessens.

That said, I am very concerned about Wilson's velocity - or lack thereof. As CandyCummings pointed out earlier in the thread, the Reds still do not have a SO artist (Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena don't count! ) A legitimate ace needs to be able to strike out people. Dempster, if he ever finds that slider from 2-3 years ago, could be that guy.

Wilson is a good pickup IF the Reds have a couple more moves waiting to happen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

And how would you know you weren't repeating others?
    This is what i said in my first post.

(sorry if i repeat what any1 says)

Does that answer your question M2?.......

hey emtyredsfan.....loooks to me like ur a bearcats fan...so i got ur back man....i see ur point by not reading what everybody else wrote.....(3 pages) worth.....seems to me like couple of guys got a little pissed off about it.....i dunno if anybody else notice this but people seem a little edgy past few days....check out the end of my last thread( dropping like flies) from a few days ago....must just be we are all anxious about the season coming up and hoping we get a #1......?????

well atleast some1 understands... Excuse me if i dont have enough time to read all of it. I do have a life outside of the redszone guys...

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by bthomasiscool
    hey emtyredsfan........i see ur point by not reading what everybody else wrote.....(3 pages) worth.....seems to me like couple of guys got a little pissed off about it....check out the end of my last thread( dropping like flies) from a few days ago
    He can't check it out...he doesn't have the time.

In general, I think it's a good signing. The biggest potential drawback I've seen mentioned is next year's salary if he bombs.

It does bring to mind an angle for all the conspiracy theorists, though. I've thought for some time that Jimbo's back is against the wall this year. Unless the team overachieves and/or contends THIS YEAR, I believe that Bowden is on very shaky ground to be offered a new contract.

With this in mind, might he be more likely to mortgage the future with a contract like Wilson's and put all his assets into winning this year?

I'm not suggesting that he is doing this, but I'm also not discounting the possibility that it plays into his thinking.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

He can't check it out...he doesn't have the time.
    I guess its that time of month for you guys huh?

I say one simple thing and i got a bunch of jerks jumping down my throat.....

Turn Off Ads?