Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

Team Tuck

Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

....Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds. No $ given.

Brian Reith designated for assignment.
    Last edited by Team Tuck; 01-12-2003 at 07:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.
    Who dat, Paul Wilson feller?

Reds sign RHP Paul Wilson to two-year deal
    January 12, 2003

CINCINNATI (Ticker) - Paul Wilson, the former No. 1 pick who never has lived up to lofty expectations, on Sunday signed a two-year contract with the Cincinnati reds.

Financial terms of the righthander's deal were not disclosed. Wilson earned $1.2 million in 2002.

Arbitration eligible, Wilson was not offered a contract by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for 2003.

The 29-year-old Wilson, who was the top overall pick in the 1994 draft by the New York Mets, was 6-12 with a 4.83 ERA in 30 starts for the Devil Rays in 2002. He lasted at least six innings in 23 starts and joins a rotation headed by Ryan Dempster and former closer Danny Graves.

"Paul has the ability to pitch 180 to 200 innings a year," Reds general manager Jim Bowden said. "We felt it was important to add another proven starter to join Ryan Dempster, Jimmy Haynes and Danny Graves in the rotation."

Wilson has a career record of 20-37 with a 4.86 ERA in 104 games, including 87 starts.

After a stellar career at Florida State, Wilson was part of a much-publicized youth movement with the Mets but went just 5-12 with New York and suffered a host of arm injuries. He was traded to Tampa Bay in July 2000.

To make room on the 40-man roster, the Reds designated righthander Brian Reith for assignment.

I'm not too hip on this.

His arm could fall off at any time. He's been consistently bad the last two years, and he's a former Met.
    What's not to hate?

PSR

If totally healthy Paul Wilson could be a very good pickup.

Wilson, is a player who has yet to live up to his potential, mainly due to arm trouble.

Going at least 6 innings in 23 of 30 starts is not bad Elmer Dessens area. But with DH in the A.L. thats a slightly misleading stat.

Never know we could see the 29 year old Wilson , finally start to show some of the potential of his youth. Its been a couple years since his last injury.

What's not to hate?
    Well, he's a Baseball Prospectus darling, if you are into that kind of thing.

Team Tuck
    I'm not happy either, look at his last 5 starts from last season. He was terrible in several of those starts, which may tell you that he just wore down. I hope the $ are very small.

Originally posted by indy_dave00
    Never know we could see the 29 year old Wilson , finally start to show some of the potential of his youth. Its been a couple years since his last injury.

The problem is, he's coming off a 193.2 IP season, something he's never come close to before, and his arm is held onto his body with bailing wire and spit.

Wilson is the type of player that you give a 2nd year option to, not a guarenteed second year.

PSR

Originally posted by Raisor
    The problem is, he's coming off a 193.2 IP season, something he's never come close to before, and his arm is held onto his body with bailing wire and spit.

Wilson is the type of player that you give a 2nd year option to, not a guarenteed second year.

PSR
    I agree. It is now ten years and running and still no pitching. A minimum of 3/5 of the rotation next year posted WHIP's of around 1.5 and ERA's over 4.5 last year. And why a two year contract??:thumbdn:

Team Tuck
    The Reds need to make a splash by adding a top end starter with the payroll room they have remaining (after they trade White). I personally could have lived with Acevado as a 5th starter or better yet, Willy moving to the rotation. DEPENDING ON THE $ INVOLVED, this could be a good or bad move. As long as we didn't take up too much payroll room - payroll room can become very valuable in a trade, especially this offseason. I'll withhold final judgement until I see the $.

Will Reith clear waivers?
    Last edited by Team Tuck; 01-12-2003 at 08:49 PM.

Retired
    UGH. We go from talking about Brad Penny and Bartolo Colon to signing Wilson. Next seasons rotation is not looking too hot. :thumbdn:

the only way this is a good signing is if it's for less than $1MM and I highly doubt it. I bet it's in the range of $1.5-$1.75.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Originally posted by Raisor
    "We felt it was important to add another proven starter to join Ryan Dempster, Jimmy Haynes and Danny Graves in the rotation."
    Wonder when they are going to get around to doing that?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Team Tuck
    I'm hoping it's no more than $1mil/season. I fear it is.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    He may be better than we think. he averaged more innings per start than anyone else we have, almost 6.5 per start. He did falter in his last 5 starts, which hopefully was just because he had pitched more than he ever had before. He'll hopefully be stronger this year. Before those 5 starts, be was averaging almost 7 innings per start, with a 3.80 ERA. Pretty good. And in the 7 starts preceeding those last 5, he pitcher 7+ innings in every one of them.

Turn Off Ads?