Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Here's another way to look at this. Even though I think that last year was disappointing for Wilson, I think he was comparable to Jimmy Haynes.

Starts: Haynes 34, Wilson 30
    Innings: Haynes 196.2, Wilson 193.2
    Quality Start Percentage: Haynes 50%, Wilson 46.7
    Hits/9 inning: Haynes 9.61, Wilson 10.18
    Walk/9 inning: Haynes 3.71, Wilson 3.11
    Strikeouts/9 inning: Haynes 5.77, Wilson 5.16

Haynes had a little more run support, a lot better defense behind him, and some good luck. Otherwise, their records would have been closer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Wilson was signed for quite a bit less than Haynes.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Don't worry fellas, Wilson's a Seminole. How can we go wrong?

Originally posted by Team Tuck
    Vasquez
    Graves
    Wilson
    Dempster
    Haynes

with Williamson waiting for his opportunity in case someone falters?? Plenty of question marks, but enough potential to be in the same league as the Cubs, Stros, and Cards??
    we dont have Vasquez, and we aren't going to either

Dempster
    Graves
    Haynes
    Wilson
    ?????

Can't believe the negativity about this. Of the free agent pitchers remaining, Wilson was clearly the best bet. Still young, had a good year, former top prospect, obviously signed for a reasonable price, for two years. I'm surprised the Reds sprung the dough for Wilson.

Don't see why getting Wilson for nothing is worse idea than trading prospects for Penny, whose health is suspect and whose performance declined last year.

Maybe Reds will still trade for another starter, but even now the starting pitching is much better than last year's opening rotation.

I love the 2 year contract. Let's face it....if the Reds do what we all hope, and have a great year, in 2004, Graves and Haynes are probably gone. It will be nice to have SOME veteran pitching come back in 2004.

Here's how the contract breaks down. 2 year deal for $4 million.

Wilson will make $500,000 in 2003 and $3.5 million in 2004. Talks between Cincinnati and Montreal have broken off completely. And Florida's new ownership is committed to winning, and are apparently not done improving their ballclub.

This is all according to an e-mail I just received from Hal McCoy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

$3.5 million in 2004? That means Wilson is here for one year. Someone else will pay him in 2004 (unless he has a big year and $3.5 proves to be a bargain).

or if the payroll increases based on the revenue from GAB???
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

sava -

did McCoy mention in his email when Delino Deshields would be signing to play 2b with the Reds?

This is just ridiculous money-wise. If he puts up his normal 4.8 ERA there is no way he is going to be traded when he is making $3.5 M in year two.

Wilson was 6-12 last year with Devil Rays

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Right-hander Paul Wilson agreed to a $4 million, two-year contract with Cincinnati on Sunday, a move that general manager Jim Bowden said will give the Reds a proven fourth starter.

"Paul has the ability to pitch 180 to 200 innings a year,'' Bowden said. "We felt it was important to add another proven starter to join Ryan Dempster, Jimmy Haynes and Danny Graves in the rotation.''

Wilson, 29, who was not offered a contract by Tampa Bay by the Dec.20 deadline, was 6-12 with a 4.83 ERA last season for the Devil Rays. He pitched a career-high 193 2/3 innings, including at least six innings in 23 of his 30 starts.

Wilson, the first overall pick in the 1994 draft, sat out the 1999 season because of "Tommy John'' reconstructive surgery on his elbow.

To help the Reds with cash flow, Wilson gets $500,000 this year and $3.5 million in 2004.

The deal is contingent on Wilson passing a team physical. He was examined Sunday by the Reds' medical director, Dr. Timothy Kremchek.

To make room for Wilson on the 40-man roster, the Reds designated for assignment right-hander Brian Reith, who split last season between the Reds' and the Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.

LOL@15fan,

No, he didn't mention that part.

Wilson

Well, its like a lot of Reds deals. He isn't any Cy Young winner, but he's probably better at #4 than anyone else we had. He has pitched well from time to time, and really badly from time to time. Whoever observed that we'll never see that second year is right, unless he stinks.

Big concern about him and Graves is that they don't strike people out at near the rate that almost all successful ML pitchers do.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

If signing Wilson means the Reds won't break camp with a starting pitcher who was in A ball last year, then it's a good move.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Team Tuck
    I don't like that the Reds maybe overpaid a little and agreed to a 2 yr guaranteed contract just to keep his 2003 salary at $500k. It could indicate that the '03 payroll is already much closer to the budget limit than some of us thought? The budget is supposedly $60 million, or is it? I'm projecting payroll with arbitration increases to now be in the $55-$56 million range? Are we strapped for cash, or are we trying to save payroll room for another starting pitcher, assuming either White or Sully can be traded? That's the question. I guess time will tell.

PW was having a VERY GOOD season last year until September. A 3.80 ERA going into Sept in the AL is nothing to sneeze at. And the National League should take .30 or .40 off his ERA. So there is some upside here.

$4 mill, kind of . Christmas vacation is over Mr. Gullett, get to work.
    Last edited by KYRedsFan; 01-12-2003 at 10:52 PM.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?