Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

Austin Kearsn was NOT on the team, and Larson was a career #1 pick BUST.....need I go on?
    Kearns and Larson have a total of 450 ab's in MLB,

I'll wait before I hand them the keys to the excutive washroom (especially Brandon)

What I like best about your predictions from last year.

6. Haynes will be the same awful pitcher he has always been.

And now you're his biggest booster.

It's a wonder what a 4 plus ERA can do for ya, if anyone has a Pedro like season I'll expect adulation that would rival Romeos feelings for the fair Juliette.

Personally I hold my predictions until they've streached.... but that's just me.

So shoot away.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Team Tuck
    Ahhh, the M2 approach. Never worked for me personally. You know, the one where you have no idea what the budget is, what current payroll is, or what trades the Reds are currently discussing, but you act as if you know everything nevertheless. It's not even possible that the Reds are trying to improve. Jim Bowden has no desire to win, none whatsoever. And God forbid, if the Reds do improve themselves over the next month, then golly, you play it cool as if you knew it was coming all along.

Those damn Reds - they'll NEVER EVER be good again. No hope.

That line of thinking may have worked at the beginning of the winter but now we do know what the budget is.

Team Tuck
    Do we know the budget precisely? Between $55m and $60m we know for sure, but that $5m is a big difference.

Even if it's $60 million, they're still talking about cutting payroll (Sullivan and/or White). But hey, the moment we trade some payroll and acquire someone the team really needs (read: Bartolo Colon, Javier Vasquez, etc.) I'll be the first to admit you were right and I was wrong. I just feel like I've been down this road before...

The Reds, for the first time in a long while, sign a Free agent to a multi year contract, and people still complain.

Is Wilson the ace this team needs???

NO

Will he help the Reds??

Yes

I have no idea why some people here are Reds fans. I think some should be Yankee fans, and stop bringing all this doom and gloom to this board.

Amen.

What I love about you WOY is that you love YOUR stats. You invent the term "small sample size" but then you post Wilson's numbers against teams based on 7 to 16 innings.

Yes, I thought Haynes would be awful...and I even said Hamilton would do well. Haynes proved me wrong.....and now that he has, what do you want? You want me to say, hey forget 15 wins on a team UNDER .500, he is still awful?

If I did, you would run a bunch of your stats out to try to prove me wrong on that.

As for predictions, since you went all the way back to that page to get number 6, why didn't you bring back the ones I got right?

Sorry if I don't go running around predicting a pennant because the team signed a 29-year-old pitcher with a career 4.86 ERA.

Like REDREAD said, Wilson improves the rotation depth. It's not a bad move, but I think it's a move made to prevent slippage, not to gain advantage.

TeamTuck, you obviously know the Reds have released a budget figure and anybody capable of basic addition can figure out the payroll (the standard arbitration raise is $900 K if you need to make that adjustment).

And it's not exactly state secret stuff when it comes to some of the deals getting discussed.

And where did I say the team wasn't trying to get better or win? They are trying to fill holes (though Wilson only fills a hole they created by trading away Dessens). It's just that they're doing it for the least possible amount of cash. If they can go into the season without any glaring holes, they've got a chance if enough guys have big seasons. It worked for the Angels last year.

Sorry if you don't want to deal with the obvious. The Reds have a track record on salary dumping/bottom feeding. They continue to behave in the same manner.

While I acknowledge anything COULD happen, I long ago gave up the pretensions that things WILL happen in matters over which I have no control just because it suits my fancy.

If you happen to feel that there should some kind of moratorium on talking about the Reds, the moves they're making or the current state and direction of the club then I whole-heartedly encourage you to impose it on yourself. Really, jam those digits into Chinese finger traps until the day you've unilaterally decided the topic is open for discussion.

Personally I find your opinion that no one should have an opinion to be fifty paces beyond the border of tedious.

M2, while in this one, very isolated case, I don't agree with the outcome of your assessment (I think everything you said was exactly right, I just think the Reds will be good), I always enjoy reading what you write.

Right on M2.

I think the closer role is pretty overrated personally, so put me in the camp that thinks Williamson would do better as a starter.

Plus, he's stated publically several times that he would prefer being a starter. I've said this before, people perform better when they are doing what they want to do, not what they are being made to do.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Also, although I know the board wasn't around back then, I wonder what some of the more negative types were thinking before the '99 season.

Or even better before the '90 season, when most publications picked the Reds fifth, and they were coming off an awful fifth place season.

Teams play over their heads every year. The Reds have more pieces of the puzzle this year, and they were a near .500 team last year. With health (which is really a huge part of what made '99 special) this team will be special. If people get hurt they'll go 78 and 84 again. That's really what it comes down to, not whether we trade for Colon or Penny, but Griffey and Casey and Boone and Larkin and everyone else staying healthy.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I am just wondering if he is worth 2 mil a year when we are only paying Haynes 2.5 per year. I see a big difference in them not to mention Haynes is the number one only making 500,000 more than the number 4 on the team.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

You invent the term "small sample size"
    I did?

Wow.... cool accolades to me.

As for what your blog was about concerning Wilson and all that I don't know, I was simply looking at his splits since he played in a pretty tough division in a hitters league. I didn't even make a statement about him vs. Haynes, hell I didn't even say anything about your predictions that was in a "nasty" way (note winky on previous post)

r-i-l, thanks for the props.

I actually find your optimism this offseason quite refreshing (though I have wondered if there isn't some "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" plot at work with you - this is a sea change in outlook for you).

And I agree the rotation at this moment is better than it's been at any point in a year starting with the number 2. I had hoped that relative stability would allow the team to hunt bigger game this offseason instead of going back to chuck more stones at wharf rats, but stability in the rotation is a positive even without that.

The way I see it, the Reds shot to compete lies in two areas: First they need a number of hitters to have big years. Jr, Dunn, Boone and Casey or Kearns, Dunn, Larkin and LaRue (get the idea that I'm relatively sure about the Dunn part of that equation?), it doesn't matter as to the particulars as long as a lot of guys go off big. Second, they need the rotation to remain healthy and wrack up those quality starts.

If they can get both of those things working in combination, then they've got a shot. Obviously I'm counting on the bullpen to do its job, which really is more a case of me not wanting to think about than anything else - not that they shouldn't be able to do their jobs, I just don't want to face the possibility that they might not.

Play rope-a-dope with the pitchers, have the hitters deliver the knockout punch. That's certainly what I'll be hoping for if this crew stays intact.

Turn Off Ads?