Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

That was not a real good team he was pitching for. I hope it works out.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Well, I guess it's time to put more faith in us bunch of armchair GM's than in the people who do this for a living. I know I can be as bad as anybody else in this respect, but come on. They just signed the guy.

He is a talented pitcher who is under 30 and seems to be past his injuries....give him and Gullett a chance.

Me, for one, love this move over the idea of letting Pete Harnisch (Mark Portugal II) make this team.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    One more "serviceable" starter is OK by me.

And I may have to revise my 2003 predictions. Wilson may just put the Reds over the top (of Milwaukee) and into 5th place.

Dang, red-in-la, are we the same guy?
    Last edited by malcontent; 01-12-2003 at 07:50 PM.

Put me down as the second person who loves this move. Wilson showed occasional flashes of his former #1 draft pick potential last year, and perhaps if healthy and working with Don Gullett, he can finally reach that potential fully.

Welcome to Cincinnati Paul!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Team Tuck
    Originally posted by PuffyPig
    Before those 5 starts, be was averaging almost 7 innings per start, with a 3.80 ERA. Pretty good. And in the 7 starts preceeding those last 5, he pitcher 7+ innings in every one of them.
    Wow, those last 5 starts added a FULL run to his ERA? I'd be thrilled with 5 months of a 3.80 ERA, especially National League adjusted. I just fear those last 5 starts are injury-related, especially with his history?? I hoped they checked the medical records

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Originally posted by Raisor
    I'm not too hip on this.

His arm could fall off at any time. He's been consistently bad the last two years, and he's a former Met.
    What's not to hate?

PSR
    That he's an FSU Seminole, of course, like yours truly. :-)

Well, I can't say I"m fired up about this, but after reading some comments at least we've added another arm to this team. I still don't understand the Dessens trade without getting another nice starter, but maybe this guy is a diamond in the rough. If he pitches 7 inn. per start with a 3.8 ERA I will be estatic.

Stud!

many good points made....those last 5 runs added a whole run to his era!!!!plus pitching in the a.l adds approx......5-1.0 runs.....seems like a solid pickup to me.....2003 prediction....4.26 era.....206 innings pitched......solid numbers for back of the rotation type of guy....i saw good job jimbo

Team Tuck
    I'm just happy that I beat guernsey (and everybody else) with this news. Beating guernsey with scoop ought to be worth something.

Thank you Paula Faris (sp?) from channel 9 - she is quite attractive by the way. Cute or hot, I can't decide.

I like this signing also.

That was a terrible team he was pitching for last year and he pitched extremely well for most of the year. Wilson has some definite potential.

This move reminds me of another signing the Reds made last year that not a lot of people were extremely happy with....but it cost one of us 'Zoners a kid!

Team Tuck
    Still missing one big piece - we have to move White or Sullivan or both and add that stud to the rotation. Oh Javier??

I am making 4 season tickets contingent upon the addition of a stud starting pitcher.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    (provided it's not an outrageous contract)

Having lived in the Tampa area last summer and having watched him pitch a lot, I assure you that he's better than his numbers indicate. I was not fond of the way that Hal McRae used him (or the way that he used Joe Kennedy, for that matter), and I think that too many high pitch count days made his stuff flat by the end of the season. His pitch counts were way too high for a guy with an injury history, pitching for a last place team. But I think he's a prime candidate for some Gullet TLC.

Bob Boone, for all of his critics, did a much better job with the pitching staff last year. I think he probably knew he had developed a bad rap over the abuse of Jose Rosado in KC.

Here's another angle that nobody's discussed. I've always thought that Wilson would be a good short man in the bullpen, late in his career. He's very tough on righty batters. Let's assume that everything goes right in 2003, and there's TOO MUCH starting pitching. While his career bullpen numbers are not good, I think he could perform this role well.

But forget about that. Let's just hope he pans out in the rotation.

My prediction: 180 innings, an ERA under 4.00 (being in a league with no DH). Candidate for opening day starter with a good spring.

Good job Jimbo. But I wish you would have picked him up WHEN I SUGGESTED prior to last season. We could have used him instead of wasting time with the Esteses and the Moehlerses of the world.

p.s. I usually try to avoid posting about the "personal" traits of players, becuase usually I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But everything I hear about Wilson makes me think that Red fans will love him.. Remember, this guy was once the best amateur pitcher IN THE WORLD, who got his career nearly destroyed by the Mets brass. He then fought his way back to an outstanding second half of 2001 and a serviceable 2002. He's a battler, with a good combination of toughness and humility. As you can probably tell, I'm ON the bandwagon
    Stick to your guns.

Team Tuck
    Vasquez
    Graves
    Wilson
    Dempster
    Haynes

with Williamson waiting for his opportunity in case someone falters?? Plenty of question marks, but enough potential to be in the same league as the Cubs, Stros, and Cards??

As the winner of the Henny Youngman Award for Pessimism, I'd like to say, "Good move." This was an excellent pickup, if the price is right.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Doesn't sound like a bad pick-up if the $$$ is right. I know the Cards had interest in Wilson, but probably only for a 1 year contract. Should be interesting to see what Gullet does with him.

Turn Off Ads?