Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson signs a 2 yr contract with the Reds

A few tidbits about Pauls season last year.

A. More than 1/2 his innings were against AL east teams.

B. He OWNED the O's 4-0, 2.72 era The O's BTW had the 13th ranked OPS in the AL

C. The TOP 8 OPS teams in turned owned Paul

Vs #1 NY - era 7.00 15 innings

Vs #2 Bos - era 7.00 27 innings

VS #3 CWS - era 4.20 15 innings

VS #4 - zero

Vs #5 TR - era 8.71 10 innings

Vs #6 SM - era 1.29 6 innings

Vs #7 TBJ - era 6.61 16.1 innings

Vs #8 A's - era 5.54 13 innings

-------------------------------------------
    102 innings
    -------------------------------------------

The good news is that the A's team OPS would be #2 in the NL, so maybe if he gets pounded it will to a lessor extent.

I'd also say that having to play against the Red Sox and Yankees would increase ones Road ERA.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-13-2003 at 06:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks for the stats, woy. Very interesting stuff. Looks like Paul will help the Reds keep the distinction of being able to dominate the lesser teams, and struggle against teams over .500. I think Dempster has the talent to beat top notch teams, but he would have to greatly improve over what I saw last season to do it. Graves may also have the stuff to matchup with winning teams, but other than those two, everyone that is an option for the Reds rotation in 2003 does not matchup well with winning teams, or teams over .500. That's what I think Reds fans are looking for....a pitcher that you can throw against a team like St Louis, Atlanta, Arizona, San Francisco, etc that you are pretty confident will go at least 6 IP and allow less than 2 or 3 runs, and that IMO is something we still lack.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That's what I think Reds fans are looking for....
    That and a way to keep their BP from imploding late in the season. This team needs some inning eaters after 3 years of the BP hoisting the team on their back for longer than reccomended.

Originally posted by M2
    Make Williamson a starter and now you lack a lights-out reliever (John Riedling and Chris Reitsma are too easy to hit and strike out too few batters to qualify).

I think Williamson will net you more wins in his current role.

And let me state again, while there's nothing wrong with the Wilson signing, it's becoming clearer that the Reds have put in action a third-place plan.
    If I have a choice of a good closer or a
    gooo.0.32263.0000326..69<<<<<<--------(that's the opinion of my 1 year old who just took over the keyboard - maybe it's an in-depth stats analysis he's been doing, I don't know
    )

Anyway, I'll take the good (who I think could be great) starter. His bb rate scares the heck out of me in the pen. A lot of candidates to suffice as closers or be part of a committee, not too many candidates to be SOLID starters.
    Last edited by VR; 01-13-2003 at 06:35 PM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

ah, we're kindred spirits, MTRF. As anyone here will tell you, I'm as guilty of posting without reading as anyone. I just don't preface my posts by admitting it. My apologies.

We'd serve badly on a jury, eh?

And let me state again, while there's nothing wrong with the Wilson signing, it's becoming clearer that the Reds have put in action a third-place plan.
    I agree M2, but I'm glad we are on a third place plan as opposed to a 4th/5th place plan.. which is where we were without a semi-respectable body for the #4 slot in the rotation.

I can't shed any tears over losing Reith either. I think the damage is done. He's ruined here. Maybe he'll bloom in another organization. I wish him the best.

Man Pills
    Is it my imagination or has it been "pounce on the new guy" week here at Redszone?

Team Tuck
    Originally posted by letsgojunior
    I am of the sentiment that we are out of cash right now. I know a few people disagree with me, but I have read in several newspapers that we were very interested in Chris Stynes as a veteran bench presence (good pickup I think), but Bowden mentioned that his asking price (he eventually received $400K) was too high. Now if we don't have the price for a 400K bench player, how could we afford a $5 M pitcher such as Vazquez?

I'm not sure where we stand right now? $5 million under budget, or right at budget? I don't think any of us know.

But, of course we can afford $400k. I think what Bowden may be implying is that we don't want to put any more money in a backup infielder or a reliever, when every last $ may be necessary for a starting pitcher. He knows as well as anybody how rigid Lindner and Allen are. Same reasoning applies to Joey Hamilton - a cheaper alt was available (Reitsma) so don't sign him. I like the fact that Bowden has only signed backups and relievers that would agree to non-guaranteed or minor league contracts. Hopefully with a White or Sully trade, we have payroll room for a top end starter.

Originally posted by Falls City Beer
    Is it my imagination or has it been "pounce on the new guy" week here at Redszone?
    I think a lot of folks are kind of grumpy and seem to be taking it out on whomever crosses their path. I hope by the time pitchers and catchers report folks will turn their frowns upside down.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Team Tuck
    Originally posted by M2

I don't know, M2, let's see the finished plan before we judge pre-maturely. If we make no further moves, then I agree. But we're still a month before ST, and none of us know for sure where we stand relative to the budget.

You guys set on a 3rd or worse finish really need to look BACK ONE YEAR.

To me, the Cards and Astros are MUCH weaker than a year ago. The Cubs are probably better although I cannot see how a team that fields Karros and the Gruz can be a winner (check the Dodgers out).

Nixnix the Brew-ha-has and Bucs.

The Reds a re milleniums ahead of this point last season.

So, how does that come out badly?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

I don't know, M2, let's see the finished plan before we judge pre-maturely. If we make no further moves, then I agree. But we're still a month before ST, and none of us know for sure where we stand relative to the budget.
    Ahh, the blinders approach. Never worked for me personally. What's right in front of you doesn't go away just because you don't want to see it.

You believe a team that's made a habit of dumping salary and bottom feeding (the sum total of its activity this offseason) has the desire and ability to change its stripes.

I don't.

Maybe they add a guy like Marlon Anderson as a hedge against Brandon Larson failing or they pounce on Jamey Wright if his price hits rock bottom.

Unless Jr., Larkin or Casey go off the books, you're not going to see a big addition (golly was I prescient when I said that back in October).

This team is looking to fill holes on the cheap and it might spend money should everything fall into place and it finds itself in a pennant race come midsummer.

You guys set on a 3rd or worse finish really need to look BACK ONE YEAR.
    Ya mean the one year when you picked them to lose 102 games?

r-i-l, correct me if I'm wrong, but did the Cardinals have Scott Rolen at the start of the 2002 season?

Did the Astros have Jeff Kent?

They sure look like good teams to me.

You made my point WOY. Last year, Elmer Dessens is your ONE pitcher in the rotation...Williamson and Riedling are coming off of major surgery....the "plan is to count on career AAAA pitcher Jared Fernadez? Yeah, they looked like a 102 loss team back then...and they still finished 3rd.

Austin Kearsn was NOT on the team, and Larson was a career #1 pick BUST.....need I go on?

I could see looking at that team and predicting doom and gloom.

But now the Reds have 4, count them, 4 MAJOR league starting pitchers a month before P/C report.

Williamson and Rielding are healthy and so are (supposed to be) Casey and JR.

Kearns is on the team and we all expect great things and maybe Larson can even hit 30 HR's (Bowden says 40).

I can understand nobody maybe quoting a WS ring right now, but how can you see this team finishing the same or worse than last year's team?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Turn Off Ads?