Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brad Boxberger

1 0.75%
  • Zack Cozart

1 0.75%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.49%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Josh Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

1 0.75%
  • Chris Heisey

17 12.69%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

1 0.75%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

69 51.49%
  • Mark Serrano

1 0.75%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
  • Travis Wood

41 30.60%
  • other - name him

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Mike Leake
    Prospect #3 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #4 - Juan Francisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

As I said in the other thread - I went with Yorman Rodriguez. His incredible talent and potential is just too hard to overlook at #4. He was the youngest player in professional baseball this year and still posted respectable numbers until going into a bad slump at the end of the season. His tools have drawn comparions to the likes of Eric Davis, Carlos Beltran, and Cesar Cedeno. If he reaches just half of his potential he'll be a star. My hope is the Reds take it easy with him and resist the urge to rush him.

I was fully expecting to go Rodriguez here, but switched it to Wood at the last second. He put up some great numbers, and is a whole lot closer to the Majors. But to me they're pretty much interchangeable at 5 and 6.

Heisey. But can't argue with Yorman, Cozart or Wood.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Going with Wood again. He proved an awful lot this year.

Heisey. He's shown enough excellence at a high level to stand above Yorman's potential-based ceiling, in my book.

I actually voted wrong, marking Heisey when I wanted to vote for Yorman. Oh well, I think the two of them and Wood are all extremely close. Heisey's going to be a major leaguer, Yorman's got great tools and upside, Wood I'm less certain has a major league future. But even if he's a 4th starter type as a lefty he will be extremely valuable in a rotation of righties. Suffice it to say, I like them all.

i voted for yorman. he has great tools and potential. i just hope they dont rush him

Pitching is the most important position on the field and NO ONE pitched as well in the minors last season as did Travis Wood. (At least while he was in AA.) Plus, he's left-handed and already changes speeds well.

His floor is that of a pretty decent fifth starter, just what this team needs in 2010. His ceiling is that of a mid rotation (or better) starter with an idea of how to pitch. (Rick Reed as a Met, for example.)

That's a pretty big find at #5 in the minor league ladder.

This should be an interesting one...I voted Yorman, but there are posters I respect a lot in each of the three major camps.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

What Scrap said. I, too, was torn on this one, as there's a lot to like in all the usual suspects. What broke the logjam for me was the thought: What else could Wood have done this year? I suppose he could be bigger and throw harder and have an impeccable health history, but none of that stopped him in 2009 (and it wasn't his first great season). He earned it. Plus, he's a pitcher. A left-handed pitcher. That's a tiebreaker, too.

Again I went with Travis Wood.

I like Rodriguez, but he just has way too far to go to place him above guys who have been dominant in the upper minors. I found the Heisey/Maloney comparison quite interesting. Both are older guys who don't have star potential but who have both played quite well throughout their careers. Both of these guys are the types who should be given significant opportunity to produce while cheap and in their primes. Historically, these are the types of guys who the Reds have shafted by bringing in "proven vets". I hope they both get an opportunity in Cincinnati.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Key word for me... "prospect"... When I think prospect, I think highest upside. Yorman again, and it's not close...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Key word for me... "prospect"... When I think prospect, I think highest upside. Yorman again, and it's not close...
    "Highest Upside" is certainly a component, but it's definitely not the only one that should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Again I went with Travis Wood.

I like Rodriguez, but he just has way too far to go to place him above guys who have been dominant in the upper minors. I found the Heisey/Maloney comparison quite interesting. Both are older guys who don't have star potential but who have both played quite well throughout their careers. Both of these guys are the types who should be given significant opportunity to produce while cheap and in their primes. Historically, these are the types of guys who the Reds have shafted by bringing in "proven vets". I hope they both get an opportunity in Cincinnati.
    Both are the type of guys who always get underrated in these polls too. Last year's community ranking had Dickerson #10, Maloney #18, Hanigan I believe somewhere in the late teens / early twenties, and Danny Ray Herrera at #33. Each of those guys contributed something of value to the MLB team the very next season, something a bunch of guys ahead of them on the list will never do.

Turn Off Ads?