Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New 2B of the Reds: Aaron Boone

Considering this is already a huge thread and there is no way im going to read all of it, I'll give my opinion.

I think AB can play second... Not only that it gets another powerful bat into the line-up. Personally i think it should be Branyon(lefty of course). I think he could do quite well for the Reds in GABP. Dont get me wrong i like Larson but he isnt as young as most ppl think(yes i know he is still young) But i think Branyon will do better. As for AB give him a chance and i think he will surprise some ppl.

Kick some butt AB prove some ppl wrong

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I like the idea of moving Boone to 2B. As many have said, he is very athletic and is a hard worker to boot. If he can learn the pivot at second, he could very well turn into one of the best second basemen in the NL. He has a brother that turns the double play with the best of them, to help him learn the pivot right up to spring training. I hope it works out, and think it will.

It also gives the Reds the chance to have a very productive offensive tandem at 3B in Larson and Branyan. These two could possibly put up some real good offensive numbers. I also like what this says to Brandon Larson. With Branyan hurt, it says we want you as our third baseman and the position is yours to lose. We'll see if Larson is the real thing. I'm hoping he is and that he wins the position outright. It really does give the Reds a much better option of getting these two bats in the lineup on a regular basis.

Defensively, we'll just have to wait and see. Boone should be every bit as good at second as Walker with much more range. Larson was a shortstop in college, and you have to have a lot of athletic ability to play that position. Branyan should be serviceable at best. If Larson gets the chance to play on an "everyday" basis, and is allowed to get comfortable, he may surprise a lot of people with his defense.

I find it quite interesting that a lot of people were calling for Larson to be the third baseman last season, and now that he may be getting the opportunity, the optimism suddenly dwindles. I think it is a good gamble. I think Boone will be at the top of the class as a second baseman. Larson's being the real deal is the key to the whole thing. If he is, the Reds have come out on top. I'm rooting for Larson to have a breakout season.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 01-07-2003 at 12:53 PM.

Just to add my 2 cents...

I also like the idea of the move for reasons stated by several above (RFS62, REd Leader, Wheelhouse....). If we were not going to open up a spot for Larson this year, I really don't know what else he needed to do to earn a starting role. He killed AAA ball and did well, albeit only over 51 ABs, but well nonetheless, for the Reds.

We had a hole at 2b. Really IMO it was between Larson or Boone to fill it. I prefer Boone making the switch based on his athleticism. I also like the idea of Larkin mentoring Lopez at SS and not jerking the kid around between 2B and SS. We need a SS of the future and I don't want to start him out by playing 2B.

I too really really cringe when I think of both Gookie and Juan on our bench.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I don't know why some of you are complaining so much. You love Carl for his fiscal responsibility and then complain when we end up with a piecemeal infield. And starters.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by bucksfan
    Just to add my 2 cents...

I too really really cringe when I think of both Gookie and Juan on our bench.
    I didn't mention Gookie because I honestly figured he must have been traded or something. What are they doing with him?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

It seems to me that this is only a PR move designed to cover up the real issue that a no legitimate plan was in place to replace Todd Walker. This is a blantant attempt to put a positive spin on a major foul-up.
    I agree, but I think the lack of a plan won't really bite them unless this Chinese fire drill fails. If Boone can't make the switch or if Larson falls flat then it becomes a glaring error where pretty much everyone and anyone can question the judgment of the GM and manager who tried the stunt.

I believe that fate has actually smiled on these (2003) Reds yet again. I have been reading that Branyan might not be healed by ST and may have to start the season on the DL.

Not that this helps the bench, but, it does give Larson the FULL-TIME 3B job at least through ST and April. Hopefully, that will be enough time for him to firmly establish his presence there and he won't have to get into a platoon situation with Branyan right away.

In the platoon, Larson only plays maybe once a week....and before you know it, he will be back in AAA.

With Branyan hurt, Larson gets maybe 30 starts before the platoon becomes an issue. In 10-120 AB's, we should know whether or not last year's stint was an illusion. If were a fanatsy league kinda guy, I would draft Larson for sure....go Brandon

I'm with you, red-in-la.

I think it's a pretty good idea myself.

Boone becomes an above average hitting 2B (after being a slightly below average hitting 3B in 2002), and it gets Larson's bat into the lineup. It also gives Lopez some time to ease into the lineup.

It's time to find out on a full time basis what Larson can do.

I would be more apt to put Lopez, or even Guerrero (praying that Castro is gone:rolleyes) , in the 3rd base rotation as opposed to Branyan. If he is still with the team, he's my 5th outfielder and power threat off the bench.

I agree with the point of really giving Larson a chance at 3rd - not having him look over his shoulder. Dunn, Griff and Casey give enough presence against righties to not have to platoon Branyan and Larson. Branyan is PRIME trade bait IMHO. Taylors ability to run almost guarantees him a spot if everything else remains the same.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

All dyslexics must untie!
    I'm going to claim the "law of first mention" re: moving Aaron to 2nd base (my comparisons were tall/rangey 2Bs like Bobby Grich or Ron Oester, several years ago) If anyone else wants to say they thought of it first, then fine.

(So Chip...what does this do to our little wager? Who's the Red's future 3rd baseman, now?)

Adding Larson's RH bat to the middle of the order may encourage Boone to move Kearns and his 400 OBA to leadoff (Yes, I'm feeling lucky...)
    Last edited by gm; 01-07-2003 at 02:18 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by gm
    (So Chip...what does this do to our little wager? Who's the Red's future 3rd baseman, now?)
    We shall see, mi amigo. Neither one is gone yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Originally posted by gm
    I'm going to claim the "law of first mention" re: moving Aaron to 2nd base (my comparisons were tall/rangey 2Bs like Bobby Grich or Ron Oester, several years ago)
    I'll back you up

though I note that having ideas isn't the same as having GOOD ideas

And that is yet to be seen.

though I note that having ideas isn't the same as having GOOD ideas
    Dmitri Young, 3B comes to mind.

Turn Off Ads?