Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Introducing the New 2B of the Reds: Aaron Boone

Old Red Guard,

That was fantastic, as usual.

There's a very funny article in the archives of The Onion that follows that theme.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3849/in_my_day.html

Last edited by RFS62; 01-09-2003 at 10:23 AM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?
    what an article. Do you read this website often? I have never heard of it?

Might as well make my jaded commentary
    Old Red Guard :
    I don't pay any attention to board awards, and we're only nine days into 2003. But if yours isn't the post of the year I want someone to refer me to one that's better. I feel like reading yours and rereading it and copying it and recopying it and then lying to my friends that I was the author.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by Old Red Guard
    Yes, today's athletes are incredible and outclass their counterparts of yesteryear. They are not nearly as much fun to watch or follow.
    Great post ORG. I need to amend my RedsZone to make you Redszone's resident baseball social historian
    Stick to your guns.

Great post, Old Red Guard. Reminds me of the stories my grandfather told me of ballplayers he played against on factory teams in the 20's, 30's and 40's. He said he started playing with his older brother as a kid (12), but was treated like a man, and given no slack. He caught many games with nothing but a worn out catchers mitt with a handkerchief stuffed in a big tear in the leather and a mask. A chest protector and shin guards were luxuries that he only acquired late in his playing days. He was hit over the head with a baseball bat in a brawl, and later in life, had to have surgery to clip a nerve that had caused him terrible headaches and loss of sleep for years. He was a blacksmith by trade and a farmer by choice. Baseball was his passion. He just worked and played through the pain, cause that was what you did then. He was paid two dollars a game to play on that factory team. He said that he would have payed them to play. Baseball was his game, the game that he loved. He was always puzzled by the modern ballplayer, and the softness that he saw in them. How could you not play when they are paying you that kind of money. He didn't understand, and come to think of it, I don't either. I miss him, and the great stories dearly.

Brings back a lot of treasured memories for me, Old Red Guard.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by GAC
    GAC: I think the Onion staff are among the best comedy writers on the planet. They have a print edition too. Conan O'Brien tried to hire their founder to be his head writer a few years back, and he turned him down, deciding to build his publication instead.

They're based in Wisconsin, but I also think they have some writers in Colorado and around the country.

I used to read it every week. But ever since Grad school and my redszone addition, I miss a lot of their issues.
    Stick to your guns.

Never heard of the onion!!

Next you'll tell me you don't know who Ernie Pook is or Tom the Dancing Bug.

Or worse yet Akbar and Jeff!!

ORG: wow

You mean Chef Jeff and Akbar at the Snackbar?

Turn Off Ads?