Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New 2B of the Reds: Aaron Boone

And, I doubt Barry Larkin will be able to play more than 100 games at shortstop. If that is the case, I think the Reds could do more harm by juggling Lopez between second base and shortstop.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I think '62 may have a plausible scenario there. I'm more comfortable with the idea of AB at 2nd than SS and he didn't do all that badly in the #6 position.

If you end up platooning Larson and Branyon at 3rd it gives the lineup a little more flexibility.

Rem

If that scenario plays out, could we see Boone as the leadoff hitter?

I am sure Aaron can handle 2B. My concern is Branyan/Larson defensively at third.

If AB's in the number one slot he'd be the most power there since Larkin hit 30 HR's in....(skratches head here).....whenever.

Of course, that would probably put Barry in the #2 slot. Am I correct in recalling that #2 isn't Barry's favorite....??

Rem

could we see Boone as the leadoff hitter?
    I hope not. Unfortunately right now, we really don't have anything close to a leadoff or number 2 man. Dunn and Kearns IMO really belong in the 3-4-5 area and based on what I saw from Larkin's bat speed, I don't know what to do with him.

I like this move from the standpoint that it keeps Larson out of the middle infield, but I don't like it from the standpoint that we now have (personal opinion here from watching him) a below average 3B, a 39 year old SS (who did play pretty well last year), a brand new 2B who was average at 3B, and an average 1B who is coming off of major surgery.

Now that the starting 8 is pretty much set, what does everyone see for our lineup?

I am guessing:
    Leadoff:????
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Kearns
    Casey
    Boone
    Larson
    LaRue

If Larkin is the Larkin of last year what do we do?? And what if Larson continues to show extreme differentials in OPS off of right versus off of left?

Boone at 2B makes most sense in Cincinnati. It's not like a 2B has to be Pokey Reese or Bill Mazeroski anymore. The game's changed and 2B are now as offensive-minded as anyone. If Boone can make the pivot (a huge if, BTW), he's Bobby Grich with more speed.

And that's not bad at all.

With Larson and Branyan at the hot corner, I'm kind of leaning toward a platoon. I love Branyan's power potential and think he could really shine with the short fence in RF. Larson hit too well last season to discount him. (I thnk of Tito Francona whenever I see Larson. Seems apt to me, somehow.) I don't think it would be a strict platoon, but Larson would hit against all lefties. Boy, that lineup isn't bad at all:

Larkin SS
    Boone 2B
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Kearns RF
    Casey 1B
    Larson/ Branyan 3B
    LaRue/ Stinnett/ Miller C

But that defense is really bad. Only two spots on the entire diamond where gloves are above average for position and that's only if those two are fully healed from injuries to their legs.

Reading the article also made me realize that Bowden is looking at Lopez riding the pine much of the year. I looked up Larkin's rookie year with Cincinnati just for comparision's sake. 41 games, of which 38 were played at SS. I think that may be what's in store for Lopez this season.

But what to do with Castro and Dawkins? That's a pretty anemic bench, with three middle infielders. Is Lopez going to play in AAA? Maybe so. But what about Lopez learning from Larkin? Would he learn more playing or sitting by grandfather's knee?

IMO, Lopez plays everyday in AAA until a Larkin injury, then he steps up to the big club. (If he hit well in Cincinnati, what happens when Larkin comes back?)

BTW, Lopez's glove has also been questioned. Would that be the worst infield defense in the game?

LGJ

Has become the most objecive poster on Redszone, and most interesting read.

With that starting lineup, is Reggie Taylor guaranteed a spot on the roster? That lineup has late inning defensive changes and pinch runners written all over it. Bob must be drooling.

The slowest lineup in the majors. The baserunning prowess shown last year doesn't bode well either. I just have to believe there is a significant change coming very very soon that effects the lineup in a big way.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Originally posted by M2
    Sure doesn't sound like JimBo and Papa Boone agree completely about Aaron playing 2B.

Here's a prediction: If Aaron Boone does indeed play 2B for the Reds next year, the majority of the 3B playing will fall to Russ Branyan.
    I totally agree, M2. At best, Larson will play only half time. And Boone? I have hope for him, not because of his past (and I do not think he is an especially good third baseman fielding-wise), but because I see the occasional flash of brilliance. I also noticed (correct me if I'm wrong--someone will) most of his errors last year came on his throws. Second base may help him in this regard.

MVP Dunn
    If I remember correctly I believe Branyan will be out for the first month or so of the season. Larson will most likely be the opening day starter at 3rd base. Branyan, however, will most likely start more often once he recovers from his surgery.

Originally posted by westofyou
    Boone averages about an error every 7.7 games, Rolen every 10.5.

I have Larson prior to last year as having 86 E's in 384 minor league games. I don't know where to get his AAA fielding numbers from last year, but I bet they are about what the prior numbers were, 1 error every 4.6 games.

Compared to that Aaron is freaking Brooks Robinson .
    To expound, the majority of AB's errors were committed during the first half of 2002, when he was "finding himself" on the field post knee surgery. His error percentage dropped dramatically during the remaining half of the season while his batting ability improved. Here's hoping that both aspects of his game will gel in 2003... for the entire season.

And, for what it's worth, Aaron IS extremely athletic... in addition, he's a gamer, plays tremendously hard, and ALWAYS gives 110% percent of himself.

If they decide to play him at 2B, you can bet that he'll give it his all (and then some). The Reds could certainly do worse at 2B than Aaron Boone.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Aaron Boone on crutches looks like Brooks Robinson at 2nd, ss, and 3rd, simply because the Reds have no one to replace him.

He is inconsistent, over-rated and nepotism favors him.

The coming year wasn't supposed to be THIS scary.....Can somebody please make sense of this before I blow my brains out?
    It isn't even this whole Boone thing, per se....I just can't believe that this franchise is as clueless as it seems right now.

Either they are haplessley groping in the dark like 16 year old boys on a first date, or they have some deal in the works that could helpmake sense of all this.

What will they come up with next?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Originally posted by SpringfieldFan
    ..... and nepotism favors him.
    That's crap and I am soooooo sick of hearing it!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?