Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New 2B of the Reds: Aaron Boone

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kc61
    Casey hits second because he strikes out less than Boone or Dunn.
    Explain why this is an important trait for a second guy in the lineup.

A strikeout is just like any other out. In fact, it's better than a ground out, because it ensures that there won't be a double play. A batter who strikes out also forces the pitcher to throw at least 3 pitches, and usually more (thus increasing a starting pitcher's pitch count, thus getting to the bullpen faster).

I'm not saying Casey's a bad choice in the 2 hole. I called for it before the 2000 season myself. But the reason he's a good fit there is because of his high OBP, not his lack of K's.

But Dunn has a HIGHER obp and runs better than Casey. So if I were you, I'd flip flop Dunn and Casey (that' assuming Boone is dead set on Larkin in the leadoff spot, which I think is likely to fail).
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    If my choice is Brandon Larson playing second base or Aaron Boone playing second. I would go with Aaron. If my choice is Lopez's Bat in the lineup or Larson's I go with Larson's.

If Larson doesn't pan out there is still Branyon when he gets healthy. But if you start the season with Larson at second, and he was to fail you then have Castro as a starter. Once the season starts you are not moving Boone or Larkin to second, now is the time to set up a plan. While I was against trading Walker, I do think that Aaron can learn to play second as well as Todd did. Larson did show the promise of having a legitimete corner infielders bat.

I think this has a chance of being a winning move.

Actually, I like Dunn hitting out the second spot in the lineup. Lefthand hitter that will open the hole on the right side especially if Larkin has enough in him to steal a base now and then. Plus, with Junior batting behind him, he won't be pitched around and has the eye to take a walk.

1. Larkin ss
    2. Dunn LF
    3. Griffey cf
    4. Kearns rf
    5. Casey lb
    6. Boone 2b
    7. Larson 3b
    8. LaRue/Miller c

Re: Larson Boone and Casey.....

Originally posted by Ga_Red
    Larson's best position is 1B., but until Casey re-establishes himself and his value, put Larson's potential at third and move Boone to 2nd.

I agree, GaRed, Bowden is hamstrung because he can't get rid of the player that he really needs most to lose, Sean Casey (and probably Scott Sullivan)

of course, Jimbo should have seen that Sean had to be moved a LONG time ago. Instead, he signed him long term, making him even harder to move.

I think Sean is still here for the fans that don't care whether they win or lost the game, they just want to players who wave back at them when they wave. I can't wait to see Aaron at second base this season. I think he'll do just fine there and once again silence his critics.

I think Boone will do fine at 2b..His offensive numbers go from good to outstanding by shifting from 3b to 2b. I just hope Larson can put up similar numbers to his 2002 season. If he does we should have a pretty productive line up offensively.

Redhead - I agree with you about Casey....We had the same issue with Chris Sabo and Hal morris for a time. Personally, I don't care if a player waves at me if he can hit .280 and drive in 100 runs.

redhead, it doesn't sound like that many people are down on this idea because they think Aaron can't hack 2B.

For my part it works out like this:

Who would I rather have at 2B, Aaron Boone or Brandon Larson?

Aaron Boone

Who would I rather have at 3B, Aaron Boone or Brandon Larson?

Aaron Boone

That's why my entire decision would be based around what position is the optimal one for Aaron Boone.

Unfortunately I don't think the Reds sat down and said amongst themselves, "Hey, Aaron could be the second coming of Jeff Kent at 2B. Let's punt Todd Walker and shift him over." Rather I think they find themselves an IF short with Brandon Larson being the closest thing they have to a prospect who might be able to hold down a regular job. As a result Aaron's the guy getting jostled because he's the most versatile player they've got in their IF.

Re: LGJ

Originally posted by SpringfieldFan
    Has become the most objecive poster on Redszone, and most interesting read.
    Best thing to happen to this site in a long time!

UnderDunn
    Lots of different lineups posted. Don't worry, they'll ALL be used. :evilgrin:

This move makes the most sense given our current circumstances. Would I like to have Jose Vidro played 2B for us - of course. We do not know at what price he is available (the Expos can't deal all their talent without weakening the attractiveness on the auction block). Many have called for Larson to get a shot - well he's got it. I'd rather have Boone at 2B than Larson. I have no problem with Larson and Braynan splitting time there. Defense will suffer but we could get the best offensive production from the "hot corner" in a while - maybe 30-35 jacks and 85-100 rbi. Then again, they may flop. I'd still rather go this way and acquire pitching help than offensive help.

Unfortunately I don't think the Reds sat down and said amongst themselves, "Hey, Aaron could be the second coming of Jeff Kent at 2B. Let's punt Todd Walker and shift him over." Rather I think they find themselves an IF short with Brandon Larson being the closest thing they have to a prospect who might be able to hold down a regular job. As a result Aaron's the guy getting jostled because he's the most versatile player they've got in their IF.
    Actually, they looked at as the most expensive, least upsided, most tradeable player in the infield and moved him. You've got to sift through Larson/Branyon/Lopez/Boone/Walker in the infield. You've got to move someone to free up playing time. Who would you move? My guess is ABoone is next out of town.

If Larson has a good first half with the Reds out of it Booney is probably gone to make room for Lopez. If Dawkins canh it at all at Louisville, and I'll take .280 w/ a .340 OBP, you have you up the middle defense for the next 10 years. With Dawkins defense behind the reds rotation, I won't care if he hits .250.

Raisor feel free to trash this idea.

But at some point defense, especially great defense has to be considered over offense. Pokey could have been a fixture in Cincinnati for the next 10 years had a) the reds left him in the 8 hole in the line-up and b) Bowden hadn't run him out with his mouth.

I am quickly becoming an anti Bowden guy.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If Dawkins canh it at all at Louisville
    Isn't Gookie out of options?

I'd love a .340 OB% from Gookie, but his ML history suggests that is a ways off

1999 - A - 309 ab - .266 op%
    1999 - AA - 128 ab - .362 op%
    2000 - AA - 380 ab - .274 op%
    2000 - NL - 41 ab - .256 op%
    2001 - AA - 401 ab - .251 op%
    2002 - I don't have

Pokey a fixture for ten years? he'll be lucky to still be playing in 5 years.

Bowden ran him out of town?

And here I was thinking it was his .627 OPS and overpriced salary, not to mention his whining and malingering (that would have made Willie Greene blush) at the end of 2001.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-08-2003 at 01:37 PM.

let's see...

Brandon Larson is really a first baseman, Aaron is really a third sacker, Barry is really a shortstop...

doesn't that leave Casey at second? Sean's got to play his way back into the lineup, right?

and who's to say that he can't handle it unless he tries?

Originally posted by TRF
    If Larson has a good first half with the Reds out of it Booney is probably gone to make room for Lopez. If Dawkins canh it at all at Louisville, and I'll take .280 w/ a .340 OBP, you have you up the middle defense for the next 10 years. With Dawkins defense behind the reds rotation, I won't care if he hits .250.

Raisor feel free to trash this idea.

Ok, I will

If Gookie could put up a .340 OBP in the majors, I'd plaster posters of him all over the house and probably name my first three kids after him. But I'm not too worried about that happening.

But at some point defense, especially great defense has to be considered over offense.

I can feel that blood vessel in my head starting to pulsate

Pokey could have been a fixture in Cincinnati for the next 10 years had a) the reds left him in the 8 hole in the line-up and b) Bowden hadn't run him out with his mouth.

And I would have been dead and burried about a year into his "reign". IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?? ME DEAD????
    GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

I am quickly becoming an anti Bowden guy.
    Well, glad to have you, even if it's for the wrong reasons

Turn Off Ads?