Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ESPN just announced: LaRussa to return as Cardinals manager

Re: ESPN just announced: LaRussa to return as Cardinals manager

I don't get why they'd fire Hal McKrae, who is one of the top hitting instructors in the game, for a crapshoot. Arguably, McKrae did as much for hitters as Duncan did for Cardinal pitchers. Folks like Ludwick, Felipe Lopez and Rick Ankiel really turned around their careers under his tutelage

Any word on whether Duncan is coming back as pitching coach?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Respectfully, though, for someone who--rightfully--points to numbers first, this strikes me as, well, kind of thin gruel. My guess is that "fit" doesn't really matter one way or another vis. what happens on the field. It won't matter with Bryan Price and it won't matter with McGwire except to be kind of a novelty.
    But the argument is that coaches generally don't have a big impact on numbers at the major league level....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    But the argument is that coaches generally don't have a big impact on numbers at the major league level....
    I agree with that, that was my argument; but I'm not sure that's what you were intimating. If that's all you were saying, then we obviously agree: coaches make little discernible difference in MLB player numbers.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't get why they'd fire Hal McKrae, who is one of the top hitting instructors in the game, for a crapshoot. Arguably, McKrae did as much for hitters as Duncan did for Cardinal pitchers. Folks like Ludwick, Felipe Lopez and Rick Ankiel really turned around their careers under his tutelage

Duncan is coming back.
    Where we gonna go?

Seriously, it's a hitting coach.

But again, I don't get the notion that baseball is pure and guys who have been labeled as steroid users are evil.
    If you accept that cheating in baseball is OK then, well, I guess I find that amusing. Most people ignore cheaters to their own benefit; maybe you find baseball more entertaining with the cheaters?? Clean up the game or let all the cheaters back in the game. IMHO

I guess between the economics of the game and the cheaters, baseball in its purist form no longer exists and it's just not the game it used to be. Oh well...I'm done with this one.

Bum

I think the way to read the McGwire hire is that it's primarily motivated to get Pujols to sign an extension in St. Loo. Juice issues aside, McGwire is one of the few guys in baseball who can relate to Pujols both in the batters box as well as outside the lines (balancing ability with media demands, being a perennial MVP candidate, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    If you accept that cheating in baseball is OK then, well, I guess I find that amusing. Most people ignore cheaters to their own benefit; maybe you find baseball more entertaining with the cheaters?? Clean up the game or let all the cheaters back in the game. IMHO

I guess between the economics of the game and the cheaters, baseball in its purist form no longer exists and it's just not the game it used to be. Oh well...I'm done with this one.

Bum
    Baseball is probably the cleanest it has ever been and that's the point...where is this "purist form" in it's history?

I get that some hate cheating. I don't get how a blind eye can be turned to the rich heritage of "unpureness" that is the game and how the "purity of the game" is so easily evoked to castigate those who play in the steroids era.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

High five!

Why because mlb is pure? Baseball is more Machiavellian than government....
    No small feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    the sad thing about mcgwire he never needed any help. he hit 49 homers his rookie year when he was a beanpole.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    the sad thing about mcgwire he never needed any help. he hit 49 homers his rookie year when he was a beanpole.

And Canseco said they were both juicing in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And Canseco said they were both juicing in the minors.
    who knows maybe he did. i'm sure there is truth to some of his claims, its just hard to believe which ones. mcgwire had a history of being a power bat through college and the minors. he was a tall(6ft 5in) but slender 210 -220 for the longest time. if he was juicing in the minors it didn't give him the look of someone who was doing that untill 2-3 years into the majors. i've always been a huge mcgwire fan(if you couldn't tell) but let down on how things turned out for him. i'm glad to see he's back in the spotlight again.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Baseball is probably the cleanest it has ever been and that's the point...where is this "purist form" in it's history?

I get that some hate cheating. I don't get how a blind eye can be turned to the rich heritage of "unpureness" that is the game and how the "purity of the game" is so easily evoked to castigate those who play in the steroids era.
    I don't think that "well, they cheated too" gets past third grade ethicists, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I just wonder how this will be received by the Cardinal fans. They are very conservative and very traditional.

McGwire went from Hero to less than zero after his congressional testimony. He lost the respect of most of the fans, and became the butt of many jokes.

Remember this is not a guy like Rose who was a home town hero who spent most of his career with the team and took them to World Series titles. He was a side show attraction that got fans excited about baseball again, and then was revealed as a cheater for the very thing that he was cheered for.

Card fans took this as an especially insulting face slap. Maybe they have forgiven him, hard to say. But it will be interesting.

Right now it is a mixed bag. A lot of Cards fans don't like the hiring, but a lot of them do. It isn't much different than how Cards fans hae felt about LaRussa the entire time he has been here... a lot of them just don't like him. I like the hiring, I think McGwire can help a lot of these guys. Although, I was really hoping we could bring on another former Cardinal....Will Clark. McGwire wouldn't have been far down my wishlist, but he wouldn't have been first... unless his friendship with Holliday could help us resign #15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Duncan will be back. He announced a week or so ago that he would return to the Cardinals if LaRussa did. He said if LaRussa left, then he might leave too. It was made official today when LaRussa signed an extension, that Duncan would return as well.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't think that "well, they cheated too" gets past third grade ethicists, does it?
    That's not really the point that I was making.

Turn Off Ads?