Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's a Chipmunk in my Basement

There's a Chipmunk in my Basement

My cat found it, and would happily claw my eyes out to get back in there to kill it. I stupidly tried to chase it out the door without shutting the laundry room door first, so, of course it ran right into the laundry room and hid behind a whole bunch of junk where I probably could never find it if I tried. Any suggestions?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: There's a Chipmunk in my Basement

Get two more and start a singing group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Going forward, here's my advice on how to handle small, furry & unwanted critters.

Ranger T231 Traps. Always a good idea for a homeowner to keep a couple around.

Mix up some peanut butter, sunflower seeds, and mini marshmallows. Put the bait in the back of the trap and wait.

Once you catch one of the bums, relocate it several miles away and across a couple of major roads from your home.

Unless you catch a rat. Then go Grim Reaper on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Came here to say this.

Thanks, I really like the singing group idea, sounds like a great plan, very helpful. I actually almost missed out on it by accidentally typing squirrel instead of chipmunk.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He could always try offering the chipmunk a hula hoop for Christmas. I hear they like those.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Let the cat have it. Put it on YouTube.

There are a lot of chipmunks in the world. I've got a few billion in my yard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Let the cat have it. Put it on YouTube.

There are a lot of chipmunks in the world. I've got a few billion in my yard.
    Yep. Kitty will take care of business.

When I was a kid, we had a mouse in our garage once, we let the cat in there. He disposed of the mouse in about an hour.

My parents had one get in their dryer vent and it died there. They unknowingly started the dryer and the whole house smelled of dead animal. It was bad, they had to air the house out. Yuck.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

A chipmunk chewed through our phone line and cut off my service...

I think they were planning something more nefarious but fortunately our two dogs have mounted a counter offensive....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Yep. Kitty will take care of business.

When I was a kid, we had a mouse in our garage once, we let the cat in there. He disposed of the mouse in about an hour.

Unlike the 2 good-for-nothing cats I have now who spend all their time licking each others butts, the cat I had before them (Toby) was great. Had a purr like a v-8 motor, tooks walks with us, kept my feet warm in the winter, and cleaned house of any mouse in the vicinity.

I was cleaning out the garage once and spooked out a mouse. Toby the cat was sleeping under the front bushes. I woke him up (he wasn't happy) and took him to the garage. He went from lazy sleeping cat to heat-seeking missile cat in about 2 seconds. Arrowed in on the mouse and that was that. Left the tail and feet for me. A great mouser.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

A lot of domestic house cats don't know how to kill, so they end up torturing little rodents to death. That's kind of cruel, if you ask me, so if you want to kill it, get a snap trap. It's old technology but nothing is as merciful as a broken neck. They come in different sizes- you might need a larger one to take care of Alvin. I bait mine with hard cheese like Parmesan.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Nothing happened. I kept the cat from going down to the basement until she gave up and went to sleep. I kept looking around for it all day, and never saw or heard anything. I let the cat go back down there last night and she didn't act like there was anything going on, so, nothing. I guess now I'm just hoping that he somehow got back outside and a dead chipmunk body doesn't turn up in a really difficult spot to get at?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Nothing happened. I kept the cat from going down to the basement until she gave up and went to sleep. I kept looking around for it all day, and never saw or heard anything. I let the cat go back down there last night and she didn't act like there was anything going on, so, nothing. I guess now I'm just hoping that he somehow got back outside and a dead chipmunk body doesn't turn up in a really difficult spot to get at?
    My buddy's cat was playing with a ball in his house, he reached down to throw it and it was a chipmunk's head.

Beware of a new ball you've never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    You will probably smell it the first really warm spring day in 2010. :

An electronic mouse or rat trap would probably catch it if its still alive. Home Depot has them. Just have to bait the back of the trap with some peanut butter and the little varmit will come in for sniff and that's the end of him. Quick and clean way to get rid of pests like this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?