Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brad Boxberger

1 0.83%
  • Zack Cozart

1 0.83%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.67%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Josh Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

1 0.83%
  • Chris Heisey

39 32.50%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

3 2.50%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 0.83%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

1 0.83%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.83%
  • Travis Wood

69 57.50%
  • other - name him

1 0.83%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Curious as to why you think Heisey's the safe choice?

His MiLB numbers aren't remotely impressive.

I felt Wood was the safe choice due to upside.
    I went with Wood here, but out of curiosity... 299/370/462 lifetime in the minors, OPS 832, not impressive to you for a centerfielder? I'm not sure if your expectations are fair for players if an 830 OPS from a CF is not impressive, especially one said to be a very, very good defensive player.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    According to Rick Sweet, Lecure turned his season around when he started charting pitches for Justin Lehr. He saw Lehr succeeding with the same four pitches he throws, and their subsequent conversations were of great benefit. When Lehr was called to Cincinnati, Lecure struggled again until he was reminded of what he'd learned.
    Another feather in Lehr's cap? Guy is building his pitching coach resume' pretty quickly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Another feather in Lehr's cap? Guy is building his pitching coach resume' pretty quickly.
    Seriously. Reds should convince him to retire now and pay him more money to be the Louisville pitching coach.

Lehr has earned his spot on the 40 man

He's earned a nod as a pitching coach/ AAA insurance guy, but he need not be on the 40-man. If another team grabs him, so be it. If not, you can always drop someone else if you need him.

Curious as to why you think Heisey's the safe choice?

His MiLB numbers aren't remotely impressive.

I felt Wood was the safe choice due to upside.
    Upside doesn't equal safe. Lack of huge downside equals safe. I think Heisey is a sure thing to be a major league OF. He's got a little of everything including power, speed, defense, on base skills and attitude. He may not be a star, but I think his downside is useful player. Wood could be a guy who doesn't have the stuff for major leaguers. He had a couple of bad years before his big 2009 and 5'11" and 166 pounds makes me skeptical of his ability to hold up in the big leagues. I hope Wood becomes a reliable starter but his downside is lower than Heisey's IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I voted Heisey, will vote Wood next for something very much like mth's reasoning. Heisey will be a major league player, the book is not quite clear on Wood yet.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I went with Wood here, but out of curiosity... 299/370/462 lifetime in the minors, OPS 832, not impressive to you for a centerfielder? I'm not sure if your expectations are fair for players if an 830 OPS from a CF is not impressive, especially one said to be a very, very good defensive player.
    I'm looking at his sub .790 OPS (including a robust .323 OBP) @ AAA, as a 24 year old over 245 ABs.

Setting the World on fire for all of 350 ABs @ AA kinda loses a lot of its shine when he moves up to AAA and watches both his OBP and SLG drop at a staggering rate, most of which was due to Chris forgetting how to, or struggling to take a walk @ AAA.

I wanna see more of him @ AAA definitely, but I hope he returns to his AA form @ AAA.

I'm looking at his sub .790 OPS (including a robust .323 OBP) @ AAA, as a 24 year old over 245 ABs.

Setting the World on fire for all of 350 ABs @ AA kinda loses a lot of its shine when he moves up to AAA and watches both his OBP and SLG drop at a staggering rate, most of which was due to Chris forgetting how to, or struggling to take a walk @ AAA.

I wanna see more of him @ AAA definitely, but I hope he returns to his AA form @ AAA.
    I'm not saying he is a can't-miss guy. But even a .790 OPS at AAA is not bad, even ignoring his AA tear. But in 1,900 PA's in the minors, a near 830 OPS is a pretty good resume. And 24 years old is right about a normal trajectory for most medium prospects. It's not like he's a 27-year old fringe guy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I went with Heisey because of his speed and defense

Anything said about Heisey's drop in performance from AA to AAA can be said about Wood. Both came back down to Earth in Louisville. At the end of the season in Louisville Wood was not the strongest starter by any means. Jukich was. And it wasn't close between Jukich and Wood.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Anything said about Heisey's drop in performance from AA to AAA can be said about Wood. Both came back down to Earth in Louisville. At the end of the season in Louisville Wood was not the strongest starter by any means. Jukich was. And it wasn't close between Jukich and Wood.
    Sure, but best player doesn't mean best prospect. Wood also put a lot of innings on his arm last year, he was probably drained at the end of the season.

If he was tired after the 119 IP in Carolina, then maybe it is an indictment regarding his lack of size. Not that he didn't throw a couple of gems in Louisville but he inconsistent.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    If he was tired after the 119 IP in Carolina, then maybe it is an indictment regarding his lack of size. Not that he didn't throw a couple of gems in Louisville but he inconsistent.
    Well he threw 126 innings in 2008, so Carolina matched his previous year just about.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Upside doesn't equal safe. Lack of huge downside equals safe. I think Heisey is a sure thing to be a major league OF. He's got a little of everything including power, speed, defense, on base skills and attitude. He may not be a star, but I think his downside is useful player. Wood could be a guy who doesn't have the stuff for major leaguers. He had a couple of bad years before his big 2009 and 5'11" and 166 pounds makes me skeptical of his ability to hold up in the big leagues. I hope Wood becomes a reliable starter but his downside is lower than Heisey's IMO.
    But his upside is also higher than Heisey's IMO. There's something to be said for that. His changeup is an elite pitch and the Reds aren't exactly lighting it up with LHP.

Turn Off Ads?