Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fay thinks Willy gets DFA

Fay thinks Willy gets DFA

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2009/10/28/q-a-day-2/

Question from Steve: My question is about the Reds’ current view of Willy Taveras. Do you think they will let him come to spring training and try to win the job from Drew Stubbs and Chris Dickerson, or do you think the Reds will try to move him in the offseason? Do you perceive a split between the way Dusty Baker and Walt Jocketty view Taveras? My sense, from afar, is that as long as WT is around, Baker will play him too much. I’m not naive in thinking the Reds could get anything back for Taveras. They would have to trade him, along with paying part of his salary to interest any team. But my feeling (hope) is that is what they will do, just to take the controversy and temptation away.

Answer: I think Taveras was Jocketty’s guy. But Baker loves the idea of speed at the top of lineup. I don’t think anyone thought Taveras would hit as little as he did or be as rough defensively. I think they would trade in a second if they could. But his $4 million salary makes that difficult. The center field job is Drew Stubbs’ to lose. The problem with Taveras is he doesn’t fit as a bench player. He has no power. He only plays center. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him designated for assignment.

I can see it,the replacements are better and a fraction of the salary.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay thinks Willy gets DFA

Please God let it be true!

If the Reds don't think that Taveras will contribute, then there's simply no logical reason not to DFA the guy. He's taking up a roster spot that could be used to protect an extra prospect from the Rule 5 draft, so there's no excuse to bring the guy back to languish on the bench other than the tired "we're already paying him" routine.

I say just take his uniform away and make him clean the dugouts, locker room, etc since he is already getting paid. At least make him do something to partially earn the money he is robbing us of instead of just DFA'ing hm and letting him sit back at home banking for nothing.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Dfa! Dfa! Dfa!

Free willy

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Two things:

1) Reds have made a pattern of not making the easy call or the easy move. Willy will stay.

2) How do you send fay a question? I can't find his email.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I can see it,the replacements are better and a fraction of the salary.
    Problem is, they have to pay his salary and the fraction for the replacement. If this was football and they could cut him and not be on the hook for his salary, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. As it is, I'd be a little surprised to see him cut loose.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Addition by subtraction. Getting rid of a useless player that's taking playing time/roster spot from someone else. I know they're on the hook for the rest of his salary, but that wouldn't be the worst decision the Reds have made. IMO, I wouldn't keep him just because he's owed money. Then again, it's not my $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Addition by subtraction. Getting rid of a useless player that's taking playing time/roster spot from someone else. I know they're on the hook for the rest of his salary, but that wouldn't be the worst decision the Reds have made. IMO, I wouldn't keep him just because he's owed money. Then again, it's not my $$.
    The only thing worse than having to pay WT $4million this year, is to have to pay him $4 million [U]and[U] watch him play. Cut him, puh-lease!

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Problem is, they have to pay his salary and the fraction for the replacement. If this was football and they could cut him and not be on the hook for his salary, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. As it is, I'd be a little surprised to see him cut loose.
    Right, but the Reds will pay him the $4 mil no matter what. Stubbs is at the minimum and Dickerson will probably make the 25 anyway.So if he is DFA it costs the team the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Two things:

1) Reds have made a pattern of not making the easy call or the easy move. Willy will stay.

2) How do you send fay a question? I can't find his email.
    jfay@enquirer.com

If I was the Reds' GM I would trade WT and pay all but the league minimum of his salary. You get a prospect, open a spot on the 40 man and pay Drew Stubb's salary for 2010. It would cost the other team only the league minimum and a prospect. Someone would likely bite at that offer. Jocketty can't be the only GM that has read Bakermetrics, can he?

Article III - Fast cannot be taught. Always acquire fast, especially at the league minimum.

PS I dont know if there are any league stipulations on how much of a contract you can pay for and if there are any stipulations what they might entail.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If I was the Reds' GM I would trade WT and pay all but the league minimum of his salary. You get a prospect, open a spot on the 40 man and pay Drew Stubb's salary for 2010. It would cost the other team only the league minimum and a prospect. Someone would likely bite at that offer. Jocketty can't be the only GM that has read Bakermetrics, can he?

Article III - Fast cannot be taught. Always acquire fast, especially at the league minimum.

Walt, you listening ?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

PS I dont know if there are any league stipulations on how much of a contract you can pay for and if there are any stipulations what they might entail.
    This is a case where they should actually try to trade the player to another team in the same division. That way you get a prospect and you get to pitch to Willy more often. It's a double-return on that $4 million.

Going off topic here i think you can go out and trade 1 of cordero,harang, or arroyo over to the nationals for willingham and guzman

trade willy taveras and lincoln for john buck and cash

Turn Off Ads?