Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Fay thinks WT may be DFA

High five!

John Fay thinks WT may be DFA

Here:

Question from Steve: My question is about the Reds’ current view of Willy Taveras. Do you think they will let him come to spring training and try to win the job from Drew Stubbs and Chris Dickerson, or do you think the Reds will try to move him in the offseason? Do you perceive a split between the way Dusty Baker and Walt Jocketty view Taveras? My sense, from afar, is that as long as WT is around, Baker will play him too much. I’m not naive in thinking the Reds could get anything back for Taveras. They would have to trade him, along with paying part of his salary to interest any team. But my feeling (hope) is that is what they will do, just to take the controversy and temptation away.

Answer: I think Taveras was Jocketty’s guy. But Baker loves the idea of speed at the top of lineup. I don’t think anyone thought Taveras would hit as little as he did or be as rough defensively. I think they would trade in a second if they could. But his $4 million salary makes that difficult. The center field job is Drew Stubbs’ to lose. The problem with Taveras is he doesn’t fit as a bench player. He has no power. He only plays center. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him designated for assignment.
    OK, which one of you is Steve?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jhno Fya thinks WT may be DFA

I think Fay's answer that Taveras was Jocketty's guy and not Dusty's guy really is interesting. If that's the case, I don't worry about Stubbs losing playing time to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm still amazed that Taveras was Jocketty's guy. Then again, I suppose he did run Tony Womack and David Eckstein out there time and time again with the Cards...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

CF is Drew Stubbs's to lose?

First time I've heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I've been under that impression for awhile actually. I feel like both Walt and Dusty intimated as much near the end of the season. He's cheap, he's a great defender, he looks like a average hitter with potential for more, and he has nothing more to learn in the minors. I think it is sink or swim time for Stubbs.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I've been under that impression for awhile actually. I feel like both Walt and Dusty intimated as much near the end of the season. He's cheap, he's a great defender, he looks like a average hitter with potential for more, and he has nothing more to learn in the minors. I think it is sink or swim time for Stubbs.
    Nothing more to learn in the minors?

His MiLB OPS begs to differ...

Nothing more to learn in the minors?

His MiLB OPS begs to differ...
    I agree with you here, I'm not convinced Stubbs is ready for this gig.

But I'd MUCH rather see him there than Willy T, and I don't know how much Dickerson can give either. A Dickerson/Stubbs platoon would work best for me. Either way, I'm hoping for the best from the CF position, but I'm expecting it to be below average again.

Obviously, Wily had a horrible year last season. Next season, both Stubbs and Dickerson seem to be better options.

However, given how thin the OF still is, if we are paying for Wily anyway, why not keep him as a bench player? At least keep him on the roster until we get the OF filled out.
    IIRC, the status of Gomes and Nix is still up in the air.

Note, I am not saying that Wily should start, but since we are paying for him anyhow, he can fill the Darrel McDonald role (5th OF).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Obviously, Wily had a horrible year last season. Next season, both Stubbs and Dickerson seem to be better options.

However, given how thin the OF still is, if we are paying for Wily anyway, why not keep him as a bench player? At least keep him on the roster until we get the OF filled out.
    IIRC, the status of Gomes and Nix is still up in the air.

Note, I am not saying that Wily should start, but since we are paying for him anyhow, he can fill the Darrel McDonald role (5th OF).
    I think this off season will be similar to last years, in which a lot of 4th and 5th type outfielders are not offered arbitration. Heck even some starters won't be offered arbitration due to financial reasons. If the Reds aren't able to sign two players to minor league deals with an offer to spring training that aren't better than WT, I will be disappointed.

You have Stubbs, Dickerson, and Bruce under contract for next year, right? I imagine Gomes will be kept and hopefully the 5th OF job is Heisey's to lose. Even if Heisey plays poorly during the spring, he should offer relief as the first player up from AAA.

If wishing made it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'd like to see a swap of bad contracts with the Royals, who need a CF. We send them Taveras and get RP Farnsworth in return. Taveras is due $4 million in 2010, Farnsworth $5 million. The contracts are close enough to consider a wash, since we could probably put Farnsworth to some constructive use in the bullpen. At the same time, we really have little need to retain Taveras on the roster with the emergence of Stubbs and Dickerson's value as a 4th outfielder and/or potential platoon partner with Stubbs.

How come no one remembers this?

General manager Walt Jocketty said last week that Stubbs is likely to be the center fielder in 2010.

“I think based on what we’ve seen,” Jocketty said, “we have to give him that opportunity. We’ll see how he finishes up this year and what happens over the winter. But he’s given us a strong indication that he might be able to do that. He’s had a long test.”
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=167

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dusty made a similar comment too. I'm not sure why it's surprising to hear Stubbs might be considered the incumbent going into next year. The Reds have telegraphed their vision for that situation several times the past few weeks.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How come no one remembers this?
    I remember it just fine but if Stubbs doesn't have a good ST, he may be headed back to LOU.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I remember it just fine but if Stubbs doesn't have a good ST, he may be headed back to LOU.
    If he looks lost then maybe he should go back to Louisville.

Turn Off Ads?