Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very good RBI guy available

Very good RBI guy available

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=278293

The Orioles officially announced Thursday that they have declined Melvin Mora's 2010 option worth $8 million.

The move was expected. Mora, who turns 38 in February, hit .260/.321/.358 this season with just 28 extra-base hits in 484 plate appearances. He's now headed for free agency and will look to sign on elsewhere as a utility infielder. The O's apparently have no interest in bringing him back at a lesser price and could try Ty Wigginton at third base until prospect Josh Bell proves he's ready. Oct. 29 - 5:07 pm et

Dusty said theyll be looking for a good RBI guy, Ive always liked Mora

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Very good RBI guy available

One question: how would he fit here?

he wouldnt start, but could be an improvement to your bench, we do need a bench cant carry a team full of 1st year players

I know but usually you want bench players that are flexible. I like the guy too but I just don't know how many positions he'd be able to help with at his age.

I would pass on a 38 year old utilty player. IIRC, Mora really slumped the 2nd half of the season and is going downhill fast.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

High five!

Melvin Mora wasn't a very good "RBI guy" last season. In opportunities to drive in a run, he succeeded 12.1% of the time, good for 168th in between Jack Cust and Chris Gest. In other words, he had 331 opportunities to drive in a run and drove in 40.

he doesn't get on base enough either. He might be a backup option at 1st and 3rd, but that's about it. He'll be too expensive for that role on the Reds unless he can't find another job.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

This sure isn't who I thought this was going to be about. Just say no to Melvin Mora. Francisco backs up Rolen when he's not playing LF.

I'm going to presume this is was posted in jest...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If being 35 RBI's above the league average in 5000 PA's is considered "very good" then this is the first time I've heard of it.

He actually said that they're looking for a good RBI guy? Seriously?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So with RBI being a team and teammate dependent stat, how can we label a guy as a "very good RBI guy"?

Does that just mean he converts runners on base into runs scored at a high rate?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm going to presume this is was posted in jest...

I figure this is the only possible reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So with RBI being a team and teammate dependent stat, how can we label a guy as a "very good RBI guy"?

Does that just mean he converts runners on base into runs scored at a high rate?

Just curious.
    Well yes, that would be the correct way of using the label.

However, I don't think that high amount of analysis was made in the original post.

Mora the same.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?