Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very good RBI guy available

Re: Very good RBI guy available

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    are you calling me a freak or something?
    No, I just think there was an extreme lack of analysis which led to IMO, a poor target in Melvin Mora.

You don't sign a 39 year old player with a .350 SLG because of some preconceived, subjective notion that he is a good RBI guy, when there is zero evidence that at this point, Mora is actually a guy that can deliver more RBI's than a guy in his spot. Not to mention that there is an obvious issue with the stat chosen to evaluate the player int he first place. It's just archaic. I mean, maybe as a supplementary piece, but as the thesis? Craziness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I try not to get others to do my heavy lifting, but I've looked all over for the recent interview(s) with Theo Epstein about the whole RBI thing and haven't been able to find them.

Anyone got the hookup?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I try not to get others to do my heavy lifting, but I've looked all over for the recent interview(s) with Theo Epstein about the whole RBI thing and haven't been able to find them.

Anyone got the hookup?
    http://audio.weei.com/m/27013017/the...red-sox-gm.htm

It was in the Jed Hoyer Padres GM job thread.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    http://audio.weei.com/m/27013017/the...red-sox-gm.htm

It was in the Jed Hoyer Padres GM job thread.

keen, thanks

Edit to add:

What a great interview.
    Last edited by Raisor; 10-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.

I'd actually be willing to stand pat in the OF (including the return of Gomes) if they just can solidify SS and add a decent C to team with Hanigan. Not saying I'd be satisfied by any means, but I recognize the financial constraints and can't see us landing a big bat like we'd all like (although I'd personally like to see Carl Crawford in LF).

I'd settle for adding young SS with potential in his bat, a solid catcher and a decent candidate to compete for the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    keen, thanks

Edit to add:

What a great interview.
    What would happen if a Reds GM said he didn't care about RBI and called them a primitive stat and made comparisons to believing the earth was flat like that? People freaked out here, but in a fairly reasonable way.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No, I just think there was an extreme lack of analysis which led to IMO, a poor target in Melvin Mora.

You don't sign a 39 year old player with a .350 SLG because of some preconceived, subjective notion that he is a good RBI guy, when there is zero evidence that at this point, Mora is actually a guy that can deliver more RBI's than a guy in his spot. Not to mention that there is an obvious issue with the stat chosen to evaluate the player int he first place. It's just archaic. I mean, maybe as a supplementary piece, but as the thesis? Craziness.
    Craziness, interesting, well Im not going to get into that because I'll be the guy who gets suspended, anyway I didnt say sign this guy to start at 3B, all I am saying is here's a guy to look at who can drive in runs, I guess in your around about way your saying he cant or you think my post is worthless or as you call it crazy, well the Reds are going to have a 35 year old starting at 3B starting in 2010 and Im just saying add Mora to your bench if the price is right. He can drive in runs is my point and here's the evidence to back me up. 4 out of his last 6 years he's had decent RBI numbers, but it doesnt count around here I'd imagine. Once again Im saying if you can get him on the cheap add him to your bench

2004 .340 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2005 .283 batting avg 88 RBIs
    2006 .274 batting avg 83 RBIs
    2007 .274 batting avg 58 RBIs
    2008 .285 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2009 .260 batting avg 48 RBIs

I live in Baltimore now, having relocated here in August. The locals on the sports radio shows, in the moments they are not obsessing over the Ravens, held a party when it became official he wouldn't be back.

Reds have better options already on the bench in Cisco and Sutton. I would imagine Mora would be asking for around 4 million a season next year. Can't see anyone giving up that kind of cake for him to deteriorate further. Plus it is my understanding that he publicly feuded with Trembley most of the year when he didn't get his starts. No thanks to that.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I live in Baltimore now, having relocated here in August. The locals on the sports radio shows, in the moments they are not obsessing over the Ravens, held a party when it became official he wouldn't be back.
    Is he that horrible that they celebrated him leaving?

How about we also get Manny Mota. geeeez.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Reds have better options already on the bench in Cisco and Sutton. I would imagine Mora would be asking for around 4 million a season next year. Can't see anyone giving up that kind of cake for him to deteriorate further. Plus it is my understanding that he publicly feuded with Trembley most of the year when he didn't get his starts. No thanks to that.
    remember last year all these guys thought they would get the usual money but the economy dictated they would get literally nothing, I think the same thing happens to Mora and if he doesnt just retire he'll accept something right around spring training at about 2 million or less, of course this prediction will get slammed, I said the same thing last year about D____.

remember last year all these guys thought they would get the usual money but the economy dictated they would get literally nothing, I think the same thing happens to Mora and if he doesnt just retire he'll accept something right around spring training at about 2 million or less, of course this prediction will get slammed, I said the same thing last year about D____.
    There is no question that Mora will have to settle for a lot less. I think $500K with a few incentives will be the best he can do. That would be on a minor league deal and contingent on him making the team. The Reds shouldn't be the team to make that deal with him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I am big on the RBI, if it wasnt an important stat why would players like Phillips and Votto want to get to 100 so bad, also Walt and Dusty would give a limb to get an RBI guy (Scott Rolen lopsided trade), but if you guys think Mora is that horrible Im sorry for even posting it.
    Why would players like Phillips and Votto want to get to 100 RBI so bad?

I'm guessing contract clauses.

But that's just me.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Craziness, interesting, well Im not going to get into that because I'll be the guy who gets suspended, anyway I didnt say sign this guy to start at 3B, all I am saying is here's a guy to look at who can drive in runs, I guess in your around about way your saying he cant or you think my post is worthless or as you call it crazy, well the Reds are going to have a 35 year old starting at 3B starting in 2010 and Im just saying add Mora to your bench if the price is right. He can drive in runs is my point and here's the evidence to back me up. 4 out of his last 6 years he's had decent RBI numbers, but it doesnt count around here I'd imagine. Once again Im saying if you can get him on the cheap add him to your bench

2004 .340 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2005 .283 batting avg 88 RBIs
    2006 .274 batting avg 83 RBIs
    2007 .274 batting avg 58 RBIs
    2008 .285 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2009 .260 batting avg 48 RBIs

AVG & RBI as the basis for analysis?

We're definitely getting a much more complete picture of Melvin Mora now....

Bring Fielding% into this to somehow show he's a great defender, and that'll be the hat trick for me.

Plus, even with your own AVG analysis, even you should see that his AVG is going the wrong way since 2004, and his RBIs are all over the map.

But hey, those are 2 stats, and you used them both.

Turn Off Ads?