Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Very good RBI guy available

Re: Very good RBI guy available

The thing is, Melvin Mora's pretty old to be playing major league baseball, old enough that, no matter how much you like what he used to be, chances are really good that he won't be that anymore, no matter what that is.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    AVG & RBI as the basis for analysis?

We're definitely getting a much more complete picture of Melvin Mora now....

Bring Fielding% into this to somehow show he's a great defender, and that'll be the hat trick for me.

Plus, even with your own AVG analysis, even you should see that his AVG is going the wrong way since 2004, and his RBIs are all over the map.

But hey, those are 2 stats, and you used them both.
    His "good" RBI season(s) came when he mainly hit in the 2 and 3 spot. All the others, when he hit mainly 5th and 6th.

I wonder if there's a pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The thing is, Melvin Mora's pretty old to be playing major league baseball, old enough that, no matter how much you like what he used to be, chances are really good that he won't be that anymore, no matter what that is.
    Exactly. He'd be the horrible Jeff Conine move all over again (and that's if things go well for him).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. He'd be the horrible Jeff Conine move all over again (and that's if things go well for him).
    - the young body!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Craziness, interesting, well Im not going to get into that because I'll be the guy who gets suspended, anyway I didnt say sign this guy to start at 3B, all I am saying is here's a guy to look at who can drive in runs, I guess in your around about way your saying he cant or you think my post is worthless or as you call it crazy, well the Reds are going to have a 35 year old starting at 3B starting in 2010 and Im just saying add Mora to your bench if the price is right. He can drive in runs is my point and here's the evidence to back me up. 4 out of his last 6 years he's had decent RBI numbers, but it doesnt count around here I'd imagine. Once again Im saying if you can get him on the cheap add him to your bench

2004 .340 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2005 .283 batting avg 88 RBIs
    2006 .274 batting avg 83 RBIs
    2007 .274 batting avg 58 RBIs
    2008 .285 batting avg 104 RBIs
    2009 .260 batting avg 48 RBIs

He hits in the middle of the O's order consistently. If you stay healthy, and hit in the middle of the order, you cant not pile up RBI's. They are mostly a function of opportunity. It's not some magical skill that Mora has to deliver with on base.

He had a .350 SLG last year, he's 39 and in obvious decline phase. Knowing that driving in runs is mostly a function of power, it's hard to imagine a particularly insightful argument that he's a guy that we'll want coming off the bench as the "RBI guy." Unless he's hitting in the middle of the order everyday, he's not going to be piling up RBI's.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    he's 39
    he's 37

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...01.shtml?redir

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Lets compromise and say he'll be 38 on opening day. I'd rather give Francisco, Frazier, Sutton, Rosales, Valaika or even Richar a shot to fill in for Rolen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

06-733
    07-759
    08-826
    09-679

Looks like a guy the Reds would sign for to a multi-year contract to start. Forget the PH thing.

Turn Off Ads?