Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very good RBI guy available

Re: Very good RBI guy available

Lessa the same.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So with RBI being a team and teammate dependent stat, how can we label a guy as a "very good RBI guy"?

Does that just mean he converts runners on base into runs scored at a high rate?

Just curious.
    Putting aside that I believe the original poster used veiled sarcasm with his gratuitous use of the phrase "very good RBI guy," I don't completely dismiss RBI as a team dependent statistic.

Yes, RBI's in an aggregate form are not very intuitive. However, there is still some level of achievement, or rather, production within RBI's. There's a decent amount of correlation of RBI's to run-producing rates (that is to say percentage of opportunities capitalized). While RBI's for me are not much more than a cosmetic filler on a stat sheet, I don't completely dismiss them as irrelevant or team dependent. Some guys who have hit a lot of homers, but driven in a small ratio of homers to RBI's, have in fact low run-scoring rates within their total opportunities as opposed to the perception that they are a victim of fewer runners in front of them.

All that to say, I would not completely eliminate the term from one's vocabulary.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Mora less?

The name Mora conjures up one memory to me, which I feel fits here: "Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs. Playoffs?!"

Melvin Mora is the father of quintuplets, which is pretty cool, maybe whoever signs him can work the kids into a marketing campaign or something.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I am big on the RBI, if it wasnt an important stat why would players like Phillips and Votto want to get to 100 so bad, also Walt and Dusty would give a limb to get an RBI guy (Scott Rolen lopsided trade), but if you guys think Mora is that horrible Im sorry for even posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I am big on the RBI, if it wasnt an important stat why would players like Phillips and Votto want to get to 100 so bad, also Walt and Dusty would give a limb to get an RBI guy (Scott Rolen lopsided trade), but if you guys think Mora is that horrible Im sorry for even posting it.
    I told you guys it wasn't sarcasm.

It was just an extreme lack of analysis tied to an inherintly flawed statistic.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 10-30-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Just remember that RBI are something that happens based on what you do -- they aren't actually the thing you do. The thing that produces RBI in terms of familiar stats is SLG %. Mora has definitely had some nice slugging years in his career and the RBI have followed. But as a 39 year old coming off a season in which he slugged .358, it's not likely he's going to produce much in the way of RBI in 2010.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Plus the Reds and Mr. Baker aren't big on putting OBP guys, that is guys that can get on base, in front of the guys with SLG that can receive the RBI. Good luck on even God himself driving in many runs with Tevaras and Janish types batting in front of him.

I really dug R.B.I. when I was in High School. It was the first video game that actually used players' names, and those cartooney looking cats....Whooo! Hilarious.

Oh, wait.....
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

High five!

Just a guess, guys who are good hitters get a lot of RBI because they're good hitters and not because they're "good" at getting "RBI."

If turning base runners into runs is a skill, Andrew McCutcheon (a guy who hit in the leadoff spot all year) was the best in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I told you guys it wasn't sarcasm.

It was just an extreme lack of analysis tied to an inherintly tied statistic.
    are you calling me a freak or something?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

are you calling me a freak or something?
    Not as freak, maybe something though.......

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Just a guess, guys who are good hitters get a lot of RBI because they're good hitters and not because they're "good" at getting "RBI."

If turning base runners into runs is a skill, Andrew McCutcheon (a guy who hit in the leadoff spot all year) was the best in 2009.
    Is Ryan Hanigan a good hitter?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is Ryan Hanigan a good hitter?
    Although he doesn't even have a full-seasons's worth of major league ABs, probably not. He seems to be average to below average-ish for a catcher.

I don't mind me some RBI's, I just want lessa mora, and, no, Ryan Hanigan is not a good hitter but it has nothing to do with RBI's, where Dusty bats him, or anything else.

Turn Off Ads?