Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why no save for Rivera Tonight?

Why no save for Rivera Tonight?

What am I missing? Rivera came in with the Yankees leading by three runs or less and recorded the final out. I thought Buck was wrong when he stated Rivera did not get the save, but it is not showing in the box score either. How many times do setup men start the ninth leading by 4 runs or more during the regular season, give up a run or two before the closer jogs in and scarfs up a cheap save? I've seen it a hundred times. I don't know if it's right, but it's how it has always been. Has there been a rules change?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Why no save for Rivera Tonight?

He didn't pitch a full inning.

I think to get a save without pitching a full inning, the tying or winning run has to be ON BASE when you enter the game.

... somone told me, the tying run on the on-deck circle. But, I'll assume that's right. I guess that is how rare it would be to bring in a closer in that situation under "normal" circumstances. I would have sworn that was a save opportunity for Rivera.

You do not have to pitch a full inning. You only have to pitch the final out, and...

A) The tying run has to be on deck when you enter, or
    B) Be up 3 runs or less, or
    C) Pitch the final three innings
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You do not have to pitch a full inning. You only have to pitch the final out, and...

A) The tying run has to be on deck when you enter, or
    B) Be up 3 runs or less, or
    C) Pitch the final three innings
    Actually, under B you have to pitch a full inning.

Under C you have to pitch 3 effective innings.

Here's the rule from the MLB rule book:

Saves:
    Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
    Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
    (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
    (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
    (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
    - (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
    - (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
    - (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.
    I remember back in the late 90's, two Reds relievers got saves on consecutive nights due to rule 3c against the Rockies. They won by close to 10 runs in both of them, but the pitchers, I believe Scott Sullivan was one of them, pitched three "effective" innings. Really has to be one of the most poorly defined rules ever.

It might have some meaning if a pitcher got a save only when he was up by one run, or the winning run was on base. All the others are bogus imho.
    Last edited by TheNext44; 11-01-2009 at 01:48 AM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Actually, under B you have to pitch a full inning.

Under C you have to pitch 3 effective innings.
    Well, I didn't include pitching a full inning in B because of A, but that's technically correct as that would not apply to all situations with A.

But "effective" innings for C is a scorer judgment, though almost always it's credited as a save when the pitcher does not blow a lead.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    He didn't pitch a full inning.

I think to get a save without pitching a full inning, the tying or winning run has to be ON BASE when you enter the game.
    I think he did pitch a full inning and he did get the save. There's so much misinformation in this thread, I'm puzzled how it got here.

Here's the boxscore:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/game/2009110...?type=boxscore

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think he did pitch a full inning and he did get the save. There's so much misinformation in this thread, I'm puzzled how it got here.

Here's the boxscore:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/game/2009110...?type=boxscore
    the night before he only pitched for 2 outs.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?